Some in NFL "concerned" 4 NFCC officials were from SoCal

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let me get this straight...first you all dump on LA because they have no fans, and now the NFL is fixing it so that the Rams are in the Super Bowl? OK

That's why it was fixed, to build the fan base by having a winner there. Is the Saints fan base going to increase if they win another SB? Probably not much more then any other established team in the league. A Championship win will spark more interest in a franchise trying to establish themselves in a new market.

Disclaimer - I am not actually believing that the game was truly rigged because of this play, just stating that if it was, a win by the Rams helps the LA market and the league more then a win by the Saints (or any other established market). Of course, if it was truly rigged, we would be seeing the Rams face off against the Chargers........

On 1/27/2019 at 8:07 PM, Limeaid said:

So if you follow the money it is better for NFL to have two large market teams there - LA and NE rather than NO and KC.  RIght?

That will not likely be very useful especially on the one call a game or half which has been talked about.  If I was coach I'd tell the players to get the opposing coach to use flag as soon as possible to prevent usage toward end of game.

Mugging the WRs to try and force a challenge flag is risky. Especially if they win.

I honestly do not think there is any conspiracy here of any kind, officials are human and miss plays all the time, even obvious ones.  The one thing on the Saints play is that it's easy for us to see on our multi camera angle that it was PI.  BUT in live game action, where they DO NOT get to review the play before making an instant decision on whether to throw the flag, the ball may have appeared not catchable the way the play unfolded and why there wasnt a flag thrown.  I am NOT justifying it, they got it wrong, it was PI...but just saying that it is HIGHLY more plausible that in live action the ref made a mistake  than risked his very lucrative referee career over regional loyalties.

NOW...that being said, NFL really screwed the pooch here letting something like this even happen where all the Refs reside in a region of one of the competing playoff teams.  In a game like this, people are ALWAYS looking at ways to blame the refs for results, so you have to know that if there is a controversial call that fans and media are going to go right down this path claiming some sort of biased that threatens the leagues integrity.  

So, nooooo...Refs didn't intentionally throw this call nor was the NFL involved in trying to influence the outcome of this game.  However, really big and stupid oversight by the NFL to allow 4 refs from one teams region to Ref a playoff game.  They need to be aware of this possibility and make sure the officiating crews are diverse in this regard and balanced.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, MarkAF43 said:

When there is such an egregious missed call that had the largest impact in league history for one team and fan base, the commissioner should be commenting on it. No fact the league has remained publicly quiet on it. That doesn’t bode well. That smacks of arrogance that we don’t care enough about our fans (not only Saints fans, but football fans) to speak about what happened, we just hope you’ll forget about it attitude. With a league that is starting to show cracks in their armor, concussions, lawsuits, violence, more kids not playing football etc, this is the wrong approach for the league to take. 

Sorry but this is a GROSS exaggeration.  

First, Saints set themselves up for a loss BEFORE this play ever occurred when they passed an incomplete pass on first down when they should have ran the ball.  That one play is why they lost, not the PI.  The PI play doesn't even happen had they not made the dumbest late game decision I have seen since Seahawks threw on first and goal in SB to lose on an INT.  We were all yelling WTF are they doing when they threw that incomplete pass, it was a massive error.  

Second, Saints had MULTIPLE chances to STILL win the game, including starting with the ball first in OT and failed to do so.  Second, there is no guarantee that the outcome of the game is any different if they call a PI there, its not like it was a game ending score that got over turned.  And like I said before, this play with the PI should have never happened and would not had happened had they not made the mistake above FIRST.

So people can whine all they want about the missed PI, but the Saints made prior mistakes that put them into a position where this PI called was so impactful.  Additionally, they had other chances to win the game and they neither scored or stopped the Rams from scoring.  Both sides of the Saints team got to see the field in OT and they both failed to do their job.  

It was a clear missed PI moment, no doubt...but man, the whining on this is getting out of hand and lacks the context of all the OTHER self inflicted mistakes and failures the Saints did to lose that game.

48 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

First, Saints set themselves up for a loss BEFORE this play ever occurred when they passed an incomplete pass on first down when they should have ran the ball.  That one play is why they lost, not the PI.  The PI play doesn't even happen had they not made the dumbest late game decision I have seen since Seahawks threw on first and goal in SB to lose on an INT.  We were all yelling WTF are they doing when they threw that incomplete pass, it was a massive error.  

Second, Saints had MULTIPLE chances to STILL win the game, including starting with the ball first in OT and failed to do so.  Second, there is no guarantee that the outcome of the game is any different if they call a PI there, its not like it was a game ending score that got over turned.  And like I said before, this play with the PI should have never happened and would not had happened had they not made the mistake above FIRST.

So people can whine all they want about the missed PI, but the Saints made prior mistakes that put them into a position where this PI called was so impactful.  Additionally, they had other chances to win the game and they neither scored or stopped the Rams from scoring.  Both sides of the Saints team got to see the field in OT and they both failed to do their job.  

It was a clear missed PI moment, no doubt...but man, the whining on this is getting out of hand and lacks the context of all the OTHER self inflicted mistakes and failures the Saints did to lose that game.

I appreciate the reply however at no point did I whine. So if that was aimed at me that’s an inaccurate statement. I’ve said several times to people that the Saints created many of their own issues, however no one can ignore the blown call that happened. So yes I still think that the league remaining quiet is a mistake. 

53 minutes ago, MarkAF43 said:

I appreciate the reply however at no point did I whine. So if that was aimed at me that’s an inaccurate statement. I’ve said several times to people that the Saints created many of their own issues, however no one can ignore the blown call that happened. So yes I still think that the league remaining quiet is a mistake. 

Sorry phrasing was poorly written on my part.  My comments about whining was about the media and fan outrage that persists blaming this one play for the loss.  So my comments were more generalized in that regard than directed specifically to you.  

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sorry phrasing was poorly written on my part.  My comments about whining was about the media and fan outrage that persists blaming this one play for the loss.  So my comments were more generalized in that regard than directed specifically to you.  

No worries. The saints had a ton of opportunities to not be in that situation.  My only thought was that the league from a business point of view should’ve made some sort of comment and my opinion is by not doing it that it’s a bad business decision. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I honestly do not think there is any conspiracy here of any kind, officials are human and miss plays all the time, even obvious ones.  The one thing on the Saints play is that it's easy for us to see on our multi camera angle that it was PI.  BUT in live game action, where they DO NOT get to review the play before making an instant decision on whether to throw the flag, the ball may have appeared not catchable the way the play unfolded and why there wasnt a flag thrown.  I am NOT justifying it, they got it wrong, it was PI...but just saying that it is HIGHLY more plausible that in live action the ref made a mistake  than risked his very lucrative referee career over regional loyalties.

NOW...that being said, NFL really screwed the pooch here letting something like this even happen where all the Refs reside in a region of one of the competing playoff teams.  In a game like this, people are ALWAYS looking at ways to blame the refs for results, so you have to know that if there is a controversial call that fans and media are going to go right down this path claiming some sort of biased that threatens the leagues integrity.  

So, nooooo...Refs didn't intentionally throw this call nor was the NFL involved in trying to influence the outcome of this game.  However, really big and stupid oversight by the NFL to allow 4 refs from one teams region to Ref a playoff game.  They need to be aware of this possibility and make sure the officiating crews are diverse in this regard and balanced.

I was in the dome 100 yards away and it was obvious. They had multiple guys right there.

even if uncatchable it was still helmet to helmet- but they’ve never alleged it uncatchable.

i don’t think a conspiracy but I do think that they decided they sure weren’t throwing a flag no matter what there. That one of the refs on the spot has history with issues with the saints and Sean Payton might have factored a tiny bit too.

i did enjoy that it seems clear the coach wore a Goodell is a clown shirt to a press conference today (under a sweatshirt but peaking out enough to be identified)

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, was the third down incompletion to ginn the drive prior self inflicted? Or was it another PI no call? On the OT interception could you have called either roughing the passer or PI for holding Thomas?

the saints didn’t play a perfect game but they should’ve beat what’s the second best team in the conference for the second time in a season if the refs decided to call ANYTHING down the stretch. The one play is just getting a ton of attention because none of the usual ways to excuse the human element really work beyond “he decided that wasn’t a rule down the stretch”

On 1/27/2019 at 9:13 PM, MarkAF43 said:

When there is such an egregious missed call that had the largest impact in league history for one team and fan base, the commissioner should be commenting on it. No fact the league has remained publicly quiet on it. That doesn’t bode well. That smacks of arrogance that we don’t care enough about our fans (not only Saints fans, but football fans) to speak about what happened, we just hope you’ll forget about it attitude. With a league that is starting to show cracks in their armor, concussions, lawsuits, violence, more kids not playing football etc, this is the wrong approach for the league to take. 

Happened many times and always forgotten when the next one hits. Been saying this for how long now and the NFL is more popular now then it ever was.

Edited by Boca BIlls