Some in NFL "concerned" 4 NFCC officials were from SoCal

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need full time officials, it's as easy as that. The crew that misses the least amount of call throughout the season should get to work thru the playoffs and super bowl and they should get paid very well for it.

I couldn't agree more and I'm sure a vast majority of fans would feel this way too. I had the opportunity to speak with Mike Perrera about this and he agreed. This poor officiating problem can be fixed if the NFL chooses to.

I mean that was a horrendous job by the refs to not see a penalty on that play but if the refs were completely on the Rams side they didn't do a great job helping them the rest of the game. The Rams had 7 penalties for 64 yards while the Saints had just 3 penalties for 20 yards.

The timing on the missed call is the only reason why this is such a huge story. Since it happened in the final minutes of the game on a crucial play it is going to be talked about for a real long time. 

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What rule needs to be changed? The problem was that they didnt make a call on an existing rule. Changing the rule wont help anything if they arent going to call the ones in place already.

As for the refs, no one would have even looked up where they were from if it wasnt for the one play. And if it wasnt for the one play no one would be complaining about their reffing of the game as it wasnt any different then a typical NFL game.

Yet, that one play,the most obvious penalty I’ve ever seen, was ignored.

This happened before in a Super Bowl the Steelers won. The back judge ignored an obvious play in the end zone. That ref was from Pittsburgh. Can’t remember who they played but I want to say the Cardinals.

No one can tell me there isn’t bias. Those guys are fans too.The bias was obvious here in the NFCC game.

Was this an oversight by the NFL? Which market is most important to the NFL.

Why on earth would they place 4 refs in an important game that live in one teams market?

Its very fishy and the Saints got screwed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CNYfan said:

It is about TV and Marketing Revenues, not about the local favorites.  That is absurd...follow the money.

So if you follow the money it is better for NFL to have two large market teams there - LA and NE rather than NO and KC.  RIght?

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

People are pushing for PI to be reviewable. Again, I'm not advocating for it, but that's what they want. It's unfortunate that the play happened, but that doesn't mean the staffing wasn't idiotic. Making a mistake that doesn't get caught doesn't really excuse the mistake.

That will not likely be very useful especially on the one call a game or half which has been talked about.  If I was coach I'd tell the players to get the opposing coach to use flag as soon as possible to prevent usage toward end of game.

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need full time officials, it's as easy as that. The crew that misses the least amount of call throughout the season should get to work thru the playoffs and super bowl and they should get paid very well for it.

There are some full time officials now and they still blow calls.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

WRT to the  blown call in question, If a paper/electronic trail of the refs being paid off cropped up the next day, I think that would qualify.

But I think it's more of a catch-all rule to cover something completely unforeseen/unpredictable. Fans interfering with the game and influencing the outcome (poisoning the Gatorade at half time?). 

I definitely don't think it was intended for a blown call by the refs.

Payoffs of that type are made in cash so I would not be looking for a trail to follow.  Probably a blown call with the best solution being maybe another official for the defensive backfield.  Somebody to track the ball to a spot on the field and nothing else.

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Payoffs of that type are made in cash so I would not be looking for a trail to follow.  Probably a blown call with the best solution being maybe another official for the defensive backfield.  Somebody to track the ball to a spot on the field and nothing else.

Unless I missed the boat (always possible) NoSaint was questioning under what circumstances the commissioner could enforce a replay of the game from the point of the blown call.

I was just suggesting that if a payoff was somehow uncovered it might qualify for a replay of the game under the obscure rule.

The owner can hire the wrong personnel and set the organization back for years, like Haslem in Cleveland: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The GM can pick the wrong coach, or run his own draft and take the wrong QB, like Whaley here: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The coach can hire the wrong assistants and mismanage the clock and his timeouts, like Rex: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The player can run the wrong route at the wrong time, or the quarterback can throw it to a spot where the receiver isn't, like Peterman: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The referee can be told to swallow his whistle because it's championship weekend and the league doesn't want the boys in stripes determining who goes to the super bowl because of some ticky tack foul: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

Maybe mistake is the wrong word. Maybe things just happen. And some people think those things should happen one way, and other people think those things should happen another way. But it was fun to watch, and next weekend, there will be something new that is fun to watch. It's supposed to be entertainment, and it's entertainment based on people reacting, to the best of their abilities, to constantly evolving situations and stimuli, in a timed scenario, with oppositional forces vying for control. The mistakes are part of the game, they are the game. They are the show. It's just a different type of emotion that bubbles up inside you, but you're watching to feel those emotions anyways.

No need to sue anyone over it, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

People need to give this a rest.

Doesnt make the league look worse... a commissioner never talks about it... 

When there is such an egregious missed call that had the largest impact in league history for one team and fan base, the commissioner should be commenting on it. No fact the league has remained publicly quiet on it. That doesn’t bode well. That smacks of arrogance that we don’t care enough about our fans (not only Saints fans, but football fans) to speak about what happened, we just hope you’ll forget about it attitude. With a league that is starting to show cracks in their armor, concussions, lawsuits, violence, more kids not playing football etc, this is the wrong approach for the league to take. 

26 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Unless I missed the boat (always possible) NoSaint was questioning under what circumstances the commissioner could enforce a replay of the game from the point of the blown call.

I was just suggesting that if a payoff was somehow uncovered it might qualify for a replay of the game under the obscure rule.

I get that but the chances are pretty remote that a payoff will be uncovered anytime soon after it is made.  Somebody willing to pay a ref enough to change the outcome of a championship game is probably willing to do away with a squeaky wheel if you know what I mean.  A payoff most likely would be into six figures for a conference championship game and if banked it would be done outside the US into Switzerland or the Cayman Islands.  In any event I strongly doubt payoff.  If you are conspiracy minded then I would more likely believe interference from the league office on behalf of a large market team.

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I get that but the chances are pretty remote that a payoff will be uncovered anytime soon after it is made.  Somebody willing to pay a ref enough to change the outcome of a championship game is probably willing to do away with a squeaky wheel if you know what I mean.  A payoff most likely would be into six figures for a conference championship game and if banked it would be done outside the US into Switzerland or the Cayman Islands.  In any event I strongly doubt payoff.  If you are conspiracy minded then I would more likely believe interference from the league office on behalf of a large market team.

What I suggested was the type of circumstance that could cause the commissioner to invoke the rule that allows him to overturn the result of a game - not the likelihood of the circumstance.

I agree that the likelihood of a payoff being uncovered would be exceedingly low. As would any scenario that could be used by the commissioner to overturn the result of a game. But IMO the rule is there for just that reason - for a remarkably unlikely and unfair scenario that determined the outcome of a game. Refs blowing a call doesn't fit the bill.

11 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

The owner can hire the wrong personnel and set the organization back for years, like Haslem in Cleveland: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The GM can pick the wrong coach, or run his own draft and take the wrong QB, like Whaley here: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The coach can hire the wrong assistants and mismanage the clock and his timeouts, like Rex: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The player can run the wrong route at the wrong time, or the quarterback can throw it to a spot where the receiver isn't, like Peterman: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

The referee can be told to swallow his whistle because it's championship weekend and the league doesn't want the boys in stripes determining who goes to the super bowl because of some ticky tack foul: they're humans, they make mistakes that affect the outcome of the games.

Maybe mistake is the wrong word. Maybe things just happen. And some people think those things should happen one way, and other people think those things should happen another way. But it was fun to watch, and next weekend, there will be something new that is fun to watch. It's supposed to be entertainment, and it's entertainment based on people reacting, to the best of their abilities, to constantly evolving situations and stimuli, in a timed scenario, with oppositional forces vying for control. The mistakes are part of the game, they are the game. They are the show. It's just a different type of emotion that bubbles up inside you, but you're watching to feel those emotions anyways.

No need to sue anyone over it, that's for sure.

Fans complain about every one of the situations outlined, they are human too.  Why should anyone get a pass in this debacle? 

Btw, one thing that always bothers me.  When you suggest the league advises the officials to swallow the whistle, that's one of the major problems I have with the league.  A penalty should be called as a penalty, every weekend every game. Clearly that does not happen, teams win and lose as a result, so officials impact games. 

As an example, the Brady hit to the helmet. The official thought he saw something that he could not have seen, so he opted to throw the flag.  Since it never occurred, it was either a mistake, an illusion or an intentional miss. I bet it was a mistake....but if during the course of the game you also employ the "swallow your whistle" strategy, invariably you end up with questions on officiating.

This is a league-created problem. 

11 hours ago, MarkAF43 said:

When there is such an egregious missed call that had the largest impact in league history for one team and fan base, the commissioner should be commenting on it. No fact the league has remained publicly quiet on it. That doesn’t bode well. That smacks of arrogance that we don’t care enough about our fans (not only Saints fans, but football fans) to speak about what happened, we just hope you’ll forget about it attitude. With a league that is starting to show cracks in their armor, concussions, lawsuits, violence, more kids not playing football etc, this is the wrong approach for the league to take. 

It has happened many times and they never make a statement about it. Get over it, they talk to the team owners and that is all that matters.

You will forget about it just like you forgot about all the other ones.

17 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

It has happened many times and they never make a statement about it. Get over it, they talk to the team owners and that is all that matters.

You will forget about it just like you forgot about all the other ones.

You keep saying it, I have no vested interest in this.  SHow me another example of another blatant missed call that cost a team a Super Bowl opportunity.  I'll wait.