Some in NFL "concerned" 4 NFCC officials were from SoCal

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....oops...forgot about that dopey politician in Louisiana chiming in......imagine the precedent it would set if the NFL EVERY agreed to replay the game?........where would you draw the line?......ANY game with highly questionable calls would follow with replay demands....no need for rules change...it was a blatantly missed PI AND helmet to helmet.....

I am, at least academically, interested in what special circumstances would require utilizing the rule given that it’s on the books that a game can be restarted at the point of a call. 

Like does cash have to exchange hands publicly? 

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

What rule needs to be changed? The problem was that they didnt make a call on an existing rule. Changing the rule wont help anything if they arent going to call the ones in place already.

As for the refs, no one would have even looked up where they were from if it wasnt for the one play. And if it wasnt for the one play no one would be complaining about their reffing of the game as it wasnt any different then a typical NFL game.

People are pushing for PI to be reviewable. Again, I'm not advocating for it, but that's what they want. It's unfortunate that the play happened, but that doesn't mean the staffing wasn't idiotic. Making a mistake that doesn't get caught doesn't really excuse the mistake.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I am, at least academically, interested in what special circumstances would require utilizing the rule given that it’s on the books that a game can be restarted at the point of a call. 

.....freshly minted small bills without consecutive serial numbers should do it, right?............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

The concern in LA, days before the NFCC game was that Bill Vinovich and his crew were 0-8 against the Rams. He was also the only ref to eject Aaron Donald.  Just fire the 2 officials that butchered the call.  I don't care where they were from, they should not be allowed to officiate again in the NFL. You blow a call that blatantly,  you're done.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need full time officials, it's as easy as that. The crew that misses the least amount of call throughout the season should get to work thru the playoffs and super bowl and they should get paid very well for it.

....we already have some.....I think officials should have to go through OTA's and TC for officials........remedial review of existing rules.........study of newly enacted rules........comprehensive review of the most blatant blown calls from prior season to mitigate the same mistakes in the new year, etc.......why not?.......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

What rule needs to be changed? The problem was that they didnt make a call on an existing rule. Changing the rule wont help anything if they arent going to call the ones in place already.

As for the refs, no one would have even looked up where they were from if it wasnt for the one play. And if it wasnt for the one play no one would be complaining about their reffing of the game as it wasnt any different then a typical NFL game.

The NFL exists because fans are passionate about the sport, and part of that comes because of the perception that obvious and blatant penalties will be called as such.  You're correct in that at the end of the first half in the first game that play draws the ire of local fans and not much more. 

However, passion can work against the NFL when the appearance is that the game was tilted by the officials.  We can agree that if the saints had scored 42 points prior to that play, the hit was largely irrelevant. On the other hand, the NFL wants that type of game (minus the blatant penalty missed or let go for whatever reason), they should be prepared to deal with the consequences when it quite possibly results in the wrong team in the SB. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

once the next snap has commenced, the previous play is over. period.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

WRT to the  blown call in question, If a paper/electronic trail of the refs being paid off cropped up the next day, I think that would qualify.

But I think it's more of a catch-all rule to cover something completely unforeseen/unpredictable. Fans interfering with the game and influencing the outcome (poisoning the Gatorade at half time?). 

I definitely don't think it was intended for a blown call by the refs.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

We need full time officials, it's as easy as that. The crew that misses the least amount of call throughout the season should get to work thru the playoffs and super bowl and they should get paid very well for it.

How would full time officials made a difference in the NFC title game?

The ref that missed that call missed it because he missed it. It had nothing to do with anything else. It was a horrible miss for sure.

NFL refs, IMO, do a pretty good job.

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It appears pretty clearly about last week. It was essentially an LA based crew with a former Ram/Falcon on it. Even if you aren’t one to think it biased, it shocks me that the nfl would be so obtuse as to allow these optics to exist in case they made a bad call favoring the rams.

Sometimes it’s not enough to try to get it right, but it also has to LOOK right. Don’t open that door and you won’t have to answer the outrage if it somehow gets squirrelly. 

I think that it sucks the way the Saints lost because of a failure to call anyone one of three penalties on the play (targeting a defenseless receiver, Helmet to helmet or PI), but I think it makes the league looks worse that Goodell hasn't spoken on the issue.  Some may think he doesn't need to, however as the head of the NFL, he should make some sort of comment, his silence is deafening.  

People need to give this a rest.

1 minute ago, MarkAF43 said:

I think that it sucks the way the Saints lost because of a failure to call anyone one of three penalties on the play (targeting a defenseless receiver, Helmet to helmet or PI), but I think it makes the league looks worse that Goodell hasn't spoken on the issue.  Some may think he doesn't need to, however as the head of the NFL, he should make some sort of comment, his silence is deafening.  

Doesnt make the league look worse... a commissioner never talks about it... 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....we already have some.....I think officials should have to go through OTA's and TC for officials........remedial review of existing rules.........study of newly enacted rules........comprehensive review of the most blatant blown calls from prior season to mitigate the same mistakes in the new year, etc.......why not?.......

They need an outside separate organization to grade their performance and head off obvious interest conflicts.

Like hiring a former Kraft lawyer that someone mentioned, or ensuring some reasonable level of impartiality for games. Censure or dismissal of poorly performing refs, and those who are into verbally abusing players.

They do have full time officials now, but as an organization they are rife with nepotism, and still think they can grade their own performance internally.

I don't think it is an easy job, but it would not take much to insert more credibility into that part of the game, just some steps like the above.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sometimes it’s not enough to try to get it right, but it also has to LOOK right. Don’t open that door and you won’t have to answer the outrage if it somehow gets squirrelly. 

It feels like common sense to both protect your product but also your people. It doesn’t feel fair to the ref to have to worry about a blown call being questioned in that way. 

I dont think its it’s anything more nefarious than “we aren’t throwing a flag that decides the game” but it’s easy to create questions because they didn’t flip the assignments for the two units

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WideNine said:

They need an outside separate organization to grade their performance and head off obvious interest conflicts.

Like hiring a former Kraft lawyer that someone mentioned, or ensuring some reasonable level of impartiality for games. Censure or dismissal of poorly performing refs, and those who are into verbally abusing players.

They do have full time officials now, but as an organization they are rife with nepotism, and still think they can grade their own performance internally.

I don't think it is an easy job, but it would not take much to insert more credibility into that part of the game, just some steps like the above.

This.

Have you ever heard the officials like Periera during games? He tends to go out of his way to give every call the benefit of the doubt. An internal organization would do the same. External subjective review would be the obvious solution, but I doubt the NFL will outsource a single thing.