1993 Bills - only team to beat last 3 SB champs?

Dan Darragh

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was young during that period but I remember thinking the Bills would always beat the team they would lost the SB to in the regular season.  I believe they had a crazy good regular season record against the NFC.  They just choked when it counted most.

they should have won the first one, choking is a bit harsh

they were hopelessly outmatched in the last 3

37 minutes ago, Utah John said:

How about some perspective.  Would you rather the Bills play in the SB every year and lose, or not make the playoffs at all for 19 straight years?  I would take the SBs. 

You know what John, that's a tough one. It really is. 19 straight Superbowl losses? With the benefit of hindsight? I think I might prefer obscurity over that!

I gotta pretty damn awful consecutive streak going for the only 3 teams I really care about. Detroit Tigers have lost their last two. Michigan Wolverine BASKETBALL has lost their last four. Bills have lost their last four. That's 10 in a row! This isn't some ancient history. This is all since 1991 when I was 11 and just getting into sports. So I'm pretty worn out by championship losses.

Edited by LSHMEAB

Nope.

The 1990 NY Giants beat the SF 49ers in the NFC Championship game ( SB 23 and 24 champs) and the Washington Redskins in the regular season. (SB 22 champs)

There May be more. That’s just off the top of my head.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

I remember arguing with a friend that the Bills going to 4 straight SB's was an amazing achievement.  He countered that it wasn't such a big deal because they played in the weaker AFC. 

That bothered me so I did a little research and proved my friend wrong and showed just how WEIRD those Bills SB teams were.  The bottom line is that had the Bills played in the NFC they still might have gone to 4 straight SB's and lost every one of them to an AFC team - my proof:

During the 4 years the Bills went to the SB their inter-conference record against the NFC was an astonishing 14 - 2!  And this included beating a lot of NFC playoff teams!  This also included beating, ON THE ROAD, two teams (Giants & Cowboys) that would go on and beat them that year in the SB! 

Looking even closer the two losses were season ending games in which Buffalo HAD ALREADY clinched the home field advantage throughout the playoffs!  The Bills rested many of their starters in what were to Buffalo, meaningless games. 

The ONLY plausible explanation for the Bills SB losses is that someone put a hex on them. 

• Like (+1) 2

How many times did the previous 3 Super Bowl champs come from the same division. 

That would be the reason why the BILLS are the team to do it because 3 previous Super Bowl winners coming from the same division is rare enough let alone playing all 3 in the same year especially playing out of conference. 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Dan Darragh said:

[Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before...}

In 1993, the AFC East played the NFC East.  In week 2 the Bills beat Dallas on the road, in week 5 they beat the Giants at home, and in week 9 they beat the Redskins at home.

Is this the only time a team has defeated the SB champs from the 3 previous years in a single season?

Win VS Dallas was without Emmitt Smith. As you saw in the Super Bowl, that mattered.

Edited by vincec

31 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The 1992 Dallas Cowboys beat the previous 8 SB Champions.

That’s probably the record.

I take this back.

The 1992 Dallas Cowboys beat the previous 12 Super Bowl Champions.

Yes, 12.

I believe that is a record that will never be broke.

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Who cares. They were losers. Why do we try to create accomplishments for that era?

They went to 4 superbowls and they lost them all. That's it.

You old heads B word about participation trophies, but I've never seen more participation trophies created for any team than the superbowl losers.

Why are you a fan of such a “loser” franchise? If the SB years and winning all of those AFC titles and 13 wins per reg season sucked so bad, then just how miserable has it been during the drought, am I right? 

But I’m sorry that a fun team to watch that had a cutting edge O and brought it every week, and was the bane of Dan Marino’s existence, means nothing to you. 

12 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I take this back.

The 1992 Dallas Cowboys beat the previous 12 Super Bowl Champions.

Yes, 12.

I believe that is a record that will never be broke.

The Pats 16-0 had to be one of the hardest regular season slates ever when you see the playoff teams they beat, especially on the road

that Miami team didn’t run into a single playoff team in the regular season

15 hours ago, Success said:

I don’t agree that they should have won all 4.  They absolutely should have won the first, and that likely would have led to a win against the Redskins.  It was too much in their head “not to be the Broncos” at that point, and they were way too tight for that game.

But those Cowboys teams were just better.  Bills should be 2-2, imo.

It's impossible to tell.  The Redskins were the strongest team we faced in any of the Superbowls so I doubt we win that game.  Without the cloud hanging over our heads of losing two straight and then three straight Superbowls, we may have fared better against the Cowboys.  Especially our final Superbowl.

If the Bills played  each of the 90 thru 94 Super Bowls 50 times, I think the results would be. 

Bills vs Giants     Bills 48 wins    Giants 2

Bills vs Redskins    Bills 40 wins    Redskins 10

Bills vs Cowboys    Bills 12 wins    Cowboys 38

Bills vs Cowboys.   Bills 12 wins    Cowboys 38

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If the Bills played  each of the 90 thru 94 Super Bowls 50 times, I think the results would be. 

No chance they beat that Redskins team 40 out of 50 games.   

20 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

[Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before...}

In 1993, the AFC East played the NFC East.  In week 2 the Bills beat Dallas on the road, in week 5 they beat the Giants at home, and in week 9 they beat the Redskins at home.

Is this the only time a team has defeated the SB champs from the 3 previous years in a single season?

I might be mistaken, but I think Emmitt Smith was not playing in that game the Bills won.  

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

say what???

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-york-giants/teamvsteam?opp=4

take away the 1 SB and they are dead even at 6-6 

but to the point the Bills did have an impressive W/L record against the NFC in the rugular season for a few years. 

14 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I remember arguing with a friend that the Bills going to 4 straight SB's was an amazing achievement.  He countered that it wasn't such a big deal because they played in the weaker AFC. 

That bothered me so I did a little research and proved my friend wrong and showed just how WEIRD those Bills SB teams were.  The bottom line is that had the Bills played in the NFC they still might have gone to 4 straight SB's and lost every one of them to an AFC team - my proof:

During the 4 years the Bills went to the SB their inter-conference record against the NFC was an astonishing 14 - 2!  And this included beating a lot of NFC playoff teams!  This also included beating, ON THE ROAD, two teams (Giants & Cowboys) that would go on and beat them that year in the SB! 

Looking even closer the two losses were season ending games in which Buffalo HAD ALREADY clinched the home field advantage throughout the playoffs!  The Bills rested many of their starters in what were to Buffalo, meaningless games. 

The ONLY plausible explanation for the Bills SB losses is that someone put a hex on them. 

CSM, my dude... he screwed us, back in the 90's: