1993 Bills - only team to beat last 3 SB champs?

Dan Darragh

[Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before...}

In 1993, the AFC East played the NFC East.  In week 2 the Bills beat Dallas on the road, in week 5 they beat the Giants at home, and in week 9 they beat the Redskins at home.

Is this the only time a team has defeated the SB champs from the 3 previous years in a single season?

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

The fact that the Bills played the NFC and their SB counterparts well in the regular season has been discussed for 25 years.

As someone said, let us know when you obtain the answer to your specific question.

Edited by LSHMEAB

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

In 1993, the AFC East played the NFC East.  In week 2 the Bills beat Dallas on the road, in week 5 they beat the Giants at home, and in week 9 they beat the Redskins at home.

Is this the only time a team has defeated the SB champs from the 3 previous years in a single season?

Who cares. They were losers. Why do we try to create accomplishments for that era?

They went to 4 superbowls and they lost them all. That's it.

You old heads B word about participation trophies, but I've never seen more participation trophies created for any team than the superbowl losers.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was young during that period but I remember thinking the Bills would always beat the team they would lost the SB to in the regular season.  I believe they had a crazy good regular season record against the NFC.  They just choked when it counted most.

I'm pretty sure you are spot on their. I think they may have had the best regular season winning percentage of those years of any team.

26 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Who cares. They were losers. Why do we try to create accomplishments for that era?

You old heads B word about participation trophies, but I've never seen more participation trophies created for any team than the superbowl losers.

Biggest comeback in NFL history.  Super Bowl champ is an honor shared with every other SB champion.  Only one team pulled off a 33-point comeback.  Or are you going to try and throw shade on that, too?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Biggest comeback in NFL history.  Super Bowl champ is an honor shared with every other SB champion.  Only one team pulled off a 33-point comeback.  Or are you going to try and throw shade on that, too?

Thanks for participating.

You really aren't making the greatest comeback worth more than a superbowl, are you? Please don't 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

8 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It was 32 points.  Shade thrown. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Maybe try to take it a little easier on the OP.  Based on his/her point total the person is fairly new and was just trying to start a conversation.  Jmo!!

Anyway I’ve said it before I really don’t know how much better those Cowboy teams were than the Bills.  Especially in Super Bowl 28 (which is now almost 25 years ago to the day) Levy didn’t coach well.

The Patriots unfortunately may very well make it back next year which will make those 90s Bills team accomplishments seem even more extinct/insignificant 

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

As much as I loved that team, the players, the comeback and all the other great games and entertainment they gave me in those years, I cannot forgive them for losing those 4 SBs. The lack of poise, preparedness, discipline and clutch they showed in those games will forever haunt me. They should have won EVERY one of those SB games and they just choked as a unit (coaches and players) in all of them.

As for the Op's question. He's probably right about the Bills having that honour. No other team has made it to 4 in a row so beating the previous 3 winners in the season after the SB loss #3 would only be possible for them. I do remember that game in Dallas in 1993 when they beat the Cowboys 13-10 in a defensive struggle. In some ways I felt vindicated after all my Bills hating friends said they weren't in the same league as the Cowboys after the SB destruction. Then again it was like salt in the wound! The Bills could do it against a great team, just not when the pressure was maxed and it mattered!

16 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

As much as I loved that team, the players, the comeback and all the other great games and entertainment they gave me in those years, I cannot forgive them for losing those 4 SBs. The lack of poise, preparedness, discipline and clutch they showed in those games will forever haunt me. They should have won EVERY one of those SB games and they just choked as a unit (coaches and players) in all of them.

As for the Op's question. He's probably right about the Bills having that honour. No other team has made it to 4 in a row so beating the previous 3 winners in the season after the SB loss #3 would only be possible for them. I do remember that game in Dallas in 1993 when they beat the Cowboys 13-10 in a defensive struggle. In some ways I felt vindicated after all my Bills hating friends said they weren't in the same league as the Cowboys after the SB destruction. Then again it was like salt in the wound! The Bills could do it against a great team, just not when the pressure was maxed and it mattered!

I don’t agree that they should have won all 4.  They absolutely should have won the first, and that likely would have led to a win against the Redskins.  It was too much in their head “not to be the Broncos” at that point, and they were way too tight for that game.

But those Cowboys teams were just better.  Bills should be 2-2, imo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Maybe try to take it a little easier on the OP.  Based on his/her point total the person is fairly new and was just trying to start a conversation.  Jmo!!

Anyway I’ve said it before I really don’t know how much better those Cowboy teams were than the Bills.  Especially in Super Bowl 28 (which is now almost 25 years ago to the day) Levy didn’t coach well.

The Patriots unfortunately may very well make it back next year which will make those 90s Bills team accomplishments seem even more extinct/insignificant 

I may be in the minority, but I'm fine with that particular legacy becoming extinct. You get pretty tired of hearing about the SB losses every time you tell someone you're a Bills fan. That was 25 years ago! Maybe if they can actually start winning games, the perception will change. What have we done since those SB losses? The correct answer is not a damn thing, which is why that's all we're known for. Winning cures all.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I may be in the minority, but I'm fine with that particular legacy becoming extinct. You get pretty tired of hearing about the SB losses every time you tell someone you're a Bills fan. That was 25 years ago! Maybe if they can actually start winning games, the perception will change. What have we done since those SB losses? The correct answer is not a damn thing, which is why that's all we're known for. Winning cures all.

Fair enough.  I saw my uncle not that long ago and when the Bills came up he mentioned, Yeah they were good like 30 years ago and even then they couldn’t get it done.

I didn’t like his condescending tone but I suppose he did have a point 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Another Fan said:

Fair enough.  I saw my uncle not that long ago and when the Bills came up he mentioned, Yeah they were good like 30 years ago and even then they couldn’t get it done.

I didn’t like his condescending tone but I suppose he did have a point 

Yeah. It sucks when it's relatives, but I find it even more annoying when it's just a casual acquaintance. "Oh, the Bills? That was a shame they lost all those Superbowls." They're not even trying to be d****. It's just the only thing we're known for. So then I gotta do the old awe shucks like it's a fresh wound. I'm thinking about 2019, not 1993.

• Like (+1) 1