Making Anderson a coach.

gjv001

1 minute ago, jabu said:

He recently just signed a contract for next year, so he is coming back. He also recently said he still enjoys playing and would do it all again even given the concussion. I don’t think he feels double crossed at all.

Perhaps that concussion from that Patriots game did some damage to the common sense portion of his brain or wiped his memories . He didn't look in the slightest way at all that he was enjoying any of it as the Pats pummeled him left and right.  Financially though as others have said, its much better for him to come back as a player than a coach. I just cannot believe they would allow him near the field. Then again if he has some positive effect on Josh, then great.

5 hours ago, batmanfreek said:

His salary comes out of the cap currently.  Do you think Pegula will pay him what he’s making now out of his own pocket?

.....seriously?....McBeane has a staff of 17, made up mostly of former NFL exec level VP's of Personnel & Directors of Pro Player Personnel.......bet that payroll with McBeane approaches $5 mil......and you think paying Anderson close to his $1 mil as a coach wouldn't happen?.....

Derek Anderson signed a 1 year, $1,120,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $90,000 signing bonus, $90,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,120,000. In

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....seriously?....McBeane has a staff of 17, made up mostly of former NFL exec level VP's of Personnel & Directors of Pro Player Personnel.......bet that payroll with McBeane approaches $5 mil......and you think paying Anderson close to his $1 mil as a coach wouldn't happen?.....

Derek Anderson signed a 1 year, $1,120,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $90,000 signing bonus, $90,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,120,000. In

Not if he can do it with salary cap money.  Plus it allows him to mentor Allen in the off season without penalties. 

32 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I like that he backed up Cam, one of the guys I think Allen has the tools to pattern his game after.  

If nothing else he’s a camp arm and season prep help.

im really not sure what Barkley is. 

Huh?  Barkley is the backup QB.  Anderson shouldn't see the field if at all possible.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Huh?  Barkley is the backup QB.  Anderson shouldn't see the field if at all possible.

......yup....and realistically we're a LONG way off from the opening bell and I can't see McBeane carrying 3 QB's on the active 53 again............

5 hours ago, Doc said:

It will be Josh and Matt for sure.  Anderson is probably gone, at least as a player.

Would love to see him stay on as a long term qb coach. He's been good for Josh. It is silly to waste a roster spot and some cap $ on a #3 qb, but for just this year I can deal with it. 

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......yup....and realistically we're a LONG way off from the opening bell and I can't see McBeane carrying 3 QB's on the active 53 again............

It's possibly they cut him after the 1st game and then make him a coach.

With Allen and Barkley between Anderson and the field, I bet Anderson likes the current situation and paycheck. If the two guys in front of him get hurt, the precedent has already been set to retire mid-game.   ?

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good call Doc...look at the contract structure.....would only cost you 180 grand in guarantees..........

Actually since he's a vested veteran, they'd be on the hook for his entire salary.  That's why I think they'd wait until after the 1st game.

42 minutes ago, Doc said:

Im not comparing the two. We know what Anderson is and moreover what he is not. 

On a separate topic, Barkley has had exactly 1 good game out of 1 after being run out of the league.

All I’m saying is he’s not a sure thing as #2 going forward in my opinion just yet.

How he practices and preps will be the most important attribute.  How he runs the scout team, how he contributes with mental reps.

If he was good at these things he surely would’ve stuck as a back up

11 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

I doubt Anderson wants to be a coach. He’d be what, an assistant offensive position coach making way less than a player. What makes you think he’d be okay with the Bills doing that?

...at least his noodle is safe............