Making Anderson a coach.

gjv001

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Anderson would have to want to be a coach. Coaches and players do very different things and have different responsibilities.

My guess is he doesn't want to be a coach. He wants to be a player. Playing football is fun. Coaching is a grind.

Ehhhhh, I don't know. DA didn't seem to be having a whole lot of fun when he was playing. Just a subjective observation. The OP makes a valid point. DA is tying up a spot that could be used elsewhere. It may be a minor issue, but carrying 3 QB's limits the pool of available ST'ers. It's pretty obvious DA is a playing coach, for all intents and purposes. They must believe he's vital for Allen's development because roster spots are valuable.

Whatever it is about having Anderson in the QB room with him every week as a player, Allen sure seemed to improve a lot once he came aboard. He also has specifically mentioned on multiple occasions how much DA is helping his development.

As long as his presence is helping our franchise QB develop, I have no problem with him taking up a roster spot. The continued successful development of our quarterback is more important than, say, a 6th WR who would be inactive most game days anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I'm well aware the Bills are a profit-making venture, but money not being an issue, would the team be better off converting Derek Anderson to a coach and using that roster spot on another player?

To save $1,030,000? On a team with $90 mill available under the cap, meaning we'd increase our available cap by, what, 1.3%? When he's the best backup?

I don't even begin to see it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What contact? The coaches can't have contact with Anderson either.  Do people think Anderson is free-lancing coming up with his own QB development plan without contact with the Bills coaching staff?  

Terrible post.

The guy has played in the league for over a decade. Has worked with the bills OC for half the year. Has been helping josh since he got here. If you think that anderson doesnt have a clue whats needed i dont know what to tell you.   Coaches can give players things to work on. Mcdermott said they have talked to palmer about what they want done. What makes you think they completely ignored the qb they signed to help josh? 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

My feeling is they signed him as a player because if he were a coach he'd only be able to have minimal contact with Josh during the off-season.  I expect the 2 to get together over the off-season.  If not then I don't know why they would sign him as a player.

He was signed as a player because he makes way more as a player. As a coach he's not even touching the vets minimum. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why cut him later? We dont need the space and like doc said it will limit his contact with josh. Id rather have someone helping the franchise qb than some guy that might play special teams if theres an injury sitting inactive. 

If you think Derek Anderson is hanging out with Josh all off season you're naive.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That’s not what Josh said. 

Its like some of these posters dont read or watch any football.

58 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What contact? The coaches can't have contact with Anderson either.  Do people think Anderson is free-lancing coming up with his own QB development plan without contact with the Bills coaching staff?  

Hes kinda been in the league a while, probably knows a few things.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

https://footballiqscore.com/wonderlic-score-database/derek-anderson

This is not coaching material. Anderson has little to nothing to do with Allen's development. 

You just used the wonderlic as a gauge for the ability to read defenses and go through progressions. Long walk. Short pier. Cheerio 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

I'm well aware the Bills are a profit-making venture, but money not being an issue, would the team be better off converting Derek Anderson to a coach and using that roster spot on another player?

I think this is an example of fans overplaying the 'mentor' role. It's not the same as a coach and probably not even necessary. What does a 'mentor' do?  How much time does he 'mentor' Allen. I think it's mostly BS, if he offers some helpful advice, great, but a coach should have greater responsibility and ability.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to be a coach?

and he may not be a good one either.  Being an experienced NFL player doesn't make you a good coach.

My guess is the Anderson is being paid mainly to show the kid what a professional quarterback's work habits look like... and to pass along bits of advice during film sessions... at those points in the off season when the rules allow for organized team activities.  I also believe that the Bills will sign an UFA quarterback following the draft... which will likely require a decision to be made during final cut downs next September. Also... let's not forget that Anderson spend a great deal of time with Cam Newton during his indoctrination into pro football.

I don't think Anderson has any interest being a coach. Judging from what he was doing when the Bills pulled him off the scrapheap to come to Buffalo he didn't have any interest in actually playing either. Now I can see how he would have had an interest in a 3rd string backup /mentor for Allen job as the Bills probably enticed him with that job description. They probably prefaced it as "easy gig"," we've already got Nate Peterman as backup", you'll never see the field" type stuff. Then when Allen got hurt and Peterman proved to be a disaster, they HAD to put in Anderson. Maybe Anderson felt slightly double crossed? In any case, I doubt he comes back here.

People learn by watching (it’s how we all learned our language, etc) and Josh said he learned so much watching DA take over the offense when he was hurt. When he came back he was greatly improved and he credited DA. Derek likely doesn’t want the grind of a coach, lower pay and enjoys the CBA restrictions. Another added factor is the number of years playing adds the the now rather lucrative NFL pension, something he’ll collect on long after his playing days are over.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

My feeling is they signed him as a player because if he were a coach he'd only be able to have minimal contact with Josh during the off-season.  I expect the 2 to get together over the off-season.  If not then I don't know why they would sign him as a player.

could see where half way thru the season Allen gets hurt, so in theory Barkley is now the starter and Anderson the backup.  But instead they cut Anderson and sign a new backup, then Anderson joins the coaching staff.  Or better yet Anderson to IR due to a hang nail in case there's a rule forbidding a player to become a coach mid-season.

4 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I don't think Anderson has any interest being a coach. Judging from what he was doing when the Bills pulled him off the scrapheap to come to Buffalo he didn't have any interest in actually playing either. Now I can see how he would have had an interest in a 3rd string backup /mentor for Allen job as the Bills probably enticed him with that job description. They probably prefaced it as "easy gig"," we've already got Nate Peterman as backup", you'll never see the field" type stuff. Then when Allen got hurt and Peterman proved to be a disaster, they HAD to put in Anderson. Maybe Anderson felt slightly double crossed? In any case, I doubt he comes back here.

He recently just signed a contract for next year, so he is coming back. He also recently said he still enjoys playing and would do it all again even given the concussion. I don’t think he feels double crossed at all.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't want to put words into anyone else's fingertips .... but it seems to me that all he's saying is that Allen is not actively working with Anderson; in fact, he's working with someone else.

I'm sure Anderson did some mentoring/provided guidance or advice during the past season; but that's not coaching.

I think there's a lot more to being a coach than there is being a mentor/sounding board.  Perhaps Anderson DOES want to pursue a coaching career.  I've heard nothing of the sort and, as it looks now, Allen is not getting any coaching from him.

Coaching one thing, mentoring another. Agreed. 

I think their ideal would be make Anderson Assistant QB coach but essentially just let him mentor. The issue with it is on Anderson's side. Coaching is a lot less money for a lot more work. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why cut him later? We dont need the space and like doc said it will limit his contact with josh. Id rather have someone helping the franchise qb than some guy that might play special teams if theres an injury sitting inactive. 

I think you are underrating the value of an extra roster spot.  I believe that contact limits are only applicable during the off-season.