Making Anderson a coach.

gjv001

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

People are "making up" wierd theories, that have no basis in reality.  I am pointing out actual facts. Allen is working with Palmer. He is not working with Anderson.  

You havent done anything... no facts as to why he has never taught Allen anything as you say. You quoted his wonderlic score as if it means much of anything.

Edited by Boca BIlls

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

https://footballiqscore.com/wonderlic-score-database/derek-anderson

This is not coaching material. Anderson has little to nothing to do with Allen's development. 

It's a popular, yet confusing, notion that former players will automatically make good coaches.  There's a list of former Bills, every year, who people seem to think would be great coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

It's a popular, yet confusing, notion that former players will automatically make good coaches.  There's a list of former Bills, every year, who people seem to think would be great coaches.

He is saying Anderson never taught Allen anything.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

He is saying Anderson never taught Allen anything.

I don't want to put words into anyone else's fingertips .... but it seems to me that all he's saying is that Allen is not actively working with Anderson; in fact, he's working with someone else.

I'm sure Anderson did some mentoring/provided guidance or advice during the past season; but that's not coaching.

I think there's a lot more to being a coach than there is being a mentor/sounding board.  Perhaps Anderson DOES want to pursue a coaching career.  I've heard nothing of the sort and, as it looks now, Allen is not getting any coaching from him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't want to put words into anyone else's fingertips .... but it seems to me that all he's saying is that Allen is not actively working with Anderson; in fact, he's working with someone else.

I'm sure Anderson did some mentoring/provided guidance or advice during the past season; but that's not coaching.

I think there's a lot more to being a coach than there is being a mentor/sounding board.  Perhaps Anderson DOES want to pursue a coaching career.  I've heard nothing of the sort and, as it looks now, Allen is not getting any coaching from him.

He said he has done NOTHING

Players make more than coaches. Maybe Anderson will only accept player money.

Sure, the Bills could pay a Coach Anderson player money, but that kind of outlier in the salary structure would be bad for the morale of other coaches.

Edited by boater

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He said he has done NOTHING

He actually said, "Anderson has little to nothing to do with Allen's development," which really seems to be bothering you.

Only Josh Allen knows whether or not Derek Anderson has aided in his development.

But what's more important, here, is that you seem very, very upset.  I want you to know that I'm here for you and I'm just a PM away if you want to talk.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He actually said, "Anderson has little to nothing to do with Allen's development," which really seems to be bothering you.

Only Josh Allen knows whether or not Derek Anderson has aided in his development.

But what's more important, here, is that you seem very, very upset.  I want you to know that I'm here for you and I'm just a PM away if you want to talk.

Nah seeing his information is wrong and him proven wrong just funny to see him still with the same attitude over it.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

My feeling is they signed him as a player because if he were a coach he'd only be able to have minimal contact with Josh during the off-season.  I expect the 2 to get together over the off-season.  If not then I don't know why they would sign him as a player.

Is there a rule minimizing contact between players and coaches in the offseason?

i didn’t know that. 

1 hour ago, batmanfreek said:

His salary comes out of the cap currently.  Do you think Pegula will pay him what he’s making now out of his own pocket?

Where do you think the money used to pay the players comes from? It comes from Pegula's pocket already. Or his corporation's. Nothing would change financially except any dead cap.

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

What, do you think Pegula doesn't pay for money in the cap?  I don't get it.

Finally, someone thought of something that makes sense.  In the original thread about him re-signing I didn't see anyone mention this and could not figure out the benefit of having him as a player.  This makes sense. 

Cut him later and make him a coach to free up that spot.  I can be on board with that.

Why cut him later? We dont need the space and like doc said it will limit his contact with josh. Id rather have someone helping the franchise qb than some guy that might play special teams if theres an injury sitting inactive. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought too.  There's something about the difference between a player vs a coach that benefits the Bills right now. 

I'll be surprised if the QB room we have now is the same one we'll have next season.

I've said it before............Anderson is just here in case Allen's UCL pops.    Live harvested one's? heal in half the time of those plucked from a cadaver.    And since they have the same arm length......no trimming.     

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Completely agree. He is not good at all. Sign an UDFA to the practice squad, make Anderson a coach and use the roster spot on special teams. Everyone knows they could use the help. 

I know, we can sign Nate Peterman. ?

Anderson may very well be the best 3rd string QB innthe league.  We are talking about our 3rd QB.

The guy has actually played in a ProBowl, not bad for the 3rd string QB.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought too.  There's something about the difference between a player vs a coach that benefits the Bills right now. 

I'll be surprised if the QB room we have now is the same one we'll have next season.

Agreed.  I don't see Derek Anderson being named QB coach in the near future, barring McDermott becoming disgruntled with Culley's work.  So far, McDermotts seems fine with Culley.  On the other hand, I don't see Josh Allen needing two veteran mentors in 2020.  At that point I would expect to  see a young QB on the PS.  I do think Derek Anderson is potentially a QB coach in the NFL.

23 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why cut him later? We dont need the space and like doc said it will limit his contact with josh. Id rather have someone helping the franchise qb than some guy that might play special teams if theres an injury sitting inactive. 

What contact? The coaches can't have contact with Anderson either.  Do people think Anderson is free-lancing coming up with his own QB development plan without contact with the Bills coaching staff?  

2 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

https://footballiqscore.com/wonderlic-score-database/derek-anderson

This is not coaching material. Anderson has little to nothing to do with Allen's development. 

Soooo why is he here? 

Its petty obvious but maybe too difficult to grasp. 

-Veteran presence on how to be a pro 

- Ability to break down film together

- Help with the Bills playbook

- A comfortable sounding board for Josh to ask questions

- Help teach Josh making checks at the line and reading the defence. etc etc

The list goes on and on. 

I dont have the article but there is one with quotes by Josh Allen on how much of a positive influence Anderson has been for him. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1