Making Anderson a coach.

gjv001

14 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Which of these went on to become a great coach? 

These players fulfiled there legacy on the field.  Most good players dont go on to coach. But Im pretty sure they could read a defense. Thats my point.  Peyton manning had an average score.  Career backups to seem to make good coaches. After all they kind of had some of those responsabilities.  Frank Reich help get Kelly prepared for games and walked around with a clip board.  They may just be preparing Anderson for a coaching career.  But at the moment he is our third string QB.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He was signed as a player because he makes way more as a player. As a coach he's not even touching the vets minimum.

I don't know what the details of Derek Anderson's deal is, or the expectations.  Maybe he is working with Josh, talking to Josh, whateves.  Maybe he isn't.

Just a point that it's not necessarily true that a coach doesn't touch the vets minimum

Vet minimum is $735,000 for Derek per OTC.  His contract is $1.03M with a $90k bonus

QB coaches get paid whatever the team decides they get paid, but where data is available $1M per year in the NFL is apparently not unheard of.

21 hours ago, klos63 said:

I think this is an example of fans overplaying the 'mentor' role. It's not the same as a coach and probably not even necessary. What does a 'mentor' do?  How much time does he 'mentor' Allen. I think it's mostly BS, if he offers some helpful advice, great, but a coach should have greater responsibility and ability.

and he may not be a good one either.  Being an experienced NFL player doesn't make you a good coach.

OK, I freely admit I am reading between the lines here so take this with whatever quantity of salt you find appropriate.

After the GB debacle on September 30 where they spanked us and our offense was totally ineffective, I caught an interview with Kyle Williams where (while being diplomatic and not saying anything straight out that could be construed as throwing Josh under the bus) he said words to the effect that 'like all rookies' Josh needed to learn how to focus and prepare during the week as an NFL player. 

On October 7, the Bills announced Derek Anderson was signing with them.

Reading between the lines, I think after the Vikes game maybe Allen figured that was his coming out party and man, he'd arrived.  Sure, there's coaching - there's QB room meetings and offense meetings and team meetings and in between I'm sure the coaches say "watch film", but they don't necessarily give guidance as to HOW to watch film effectively or how much work really needs to be put in.   It probably varies from person to person and maybe it's something coaches who have never played don't actually really know.   

I think the "light bulb" went on that Allen (and Peterman) lacked something that the coaches could not provide: a veteran mentor,  someone who could demonstrate how an NFL QB needs to focus and prepare during the week.  So they brought in Anderson, then Barkley to 'teach by doing'.  And Allen seemed to have improved during his "injury time out".

It makes total sense to me because bosses, even bosses who have done the work at one point, seem to aquire a divorce from the practical aspects of how much time things really take and of course, if they never did the work themselves they have no clue to start with.  And even when a boss does know young people can be "blah blah Ginger.  Ginger blah blah" when someone talks but when they see someone actually doing something, it registers.

What doesn't make sense to me is why the Bills waited 4 games for the Clue Bird to land.  Peterman and Allen didn't develop their relative inexperience during the first 4 games, after all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, gjv001 said:

I'm well aware the Bills are a profit-making venture, but money not being an issue, would the team be better off converting Derek Anderson to a coach and using that roster spot on another player?

why do you think he would be a good coach?

On 1/27/2019 at 6:47 AM, gjv001 said:

I'm well aware the Bills are a profit-making venture, but money not being an issue, would the team be better off converting Derek Anderson to a coach and using that roster spot on another player?

You need camp arms, you always carry QBs in OTAs and Camp that won’t make the final roster. There is very little chance barring injuries that the Bills are taking 3 QBs into week 1.  DA will likely be cut and brought back as a coach at that point given they already have a vet in MB behind Josh.

What is so hard to understand about the Buffalo Bills QB situation?

Allen-Starter.

Barkley-Primary Backup.

Anderson-3rd string QB with a history with the staff being used as a mentor.

It's going to stay this way probably throughout the year.

IF there is a long term injury to any one of these QBs adjustments will be made.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:21 AM, CommonCents said:

That’s probably the best reasoning anyone will come up with. It makes a ton of sense, hopefully it’s a sign of how far they are willing to go in helping JA. 

I hope Mrs. Anderson does not mind Josh sleeping over for a while.  Mr. Anderson can explain to her that he is being paid enough to put in that extra bedroom she wants.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, klos63 said:

and he may not be a good one either.  Being an experienced NFL player doesn't make you a good coach.

Yes every NFL QB cannot be a Reich or Van Pelt.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, jabu said:

He recently just signed a contract for next year, so he is coming back. He also recently said he still enjoys playing and would do it all again even given the concussion. I don’t think he feels double crossed at all.

Stop confusing irrational ranters with facts for it is rude!

On 1/27/2019 at 4:11 PM, Doc said:

Actually since he's a vested veteran, they'd be on the hook for his entire salary.  That's why I think they'd wait until after the 1st game.

In order to do that they would need to cut him before 1st game and sign him after 1st game just so they could take him off and put him back on like a yoyo. KC did that with CJ Spiller.  It is probably more economical to sign him at veteran minimum since they then get a cap discount. 

One obstacle to Derek Anderson becoming a QB coach for the Bills has been removed.  David Culley has departed the Bills for Baltimore, where he adds the title "Assistant Head Coach" along with WR coach.  It would be an interesting relationship Josh could have with Derek Anderson: a former colleague and confidant, who is now your position coach.  It could be really good.