Bills scored zero defensive or special teams TDs in 2018

Dr. K

I remember thinking at various times during the season that the Bills were not scoring any defensive touchdowns--no recovered fumbles for TD, no pick-sixes. But I did not make anything much of that at the time. 

Looking at their team stats, I see they scored none—zero, zilch, nada—the entire season. I can't remember that ever happening before in my more than fifty years of watching this team. It's just a statistical anomaly I'm sure, but it makes me think that this is another reason that, next season, when that's unlikely to happen again, they will be a better team. 

Likewise they scored zero kick return TDs, which is less of a surprise given their generally poor special teams play. I expect them to do better in this area as well, just as a matter of luck if nothing else. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I remember thinking at various times during the season that the Bills were not scoring any defensive touchdowns--no recovered fumbles for TD, no pick-sixes. But I did not make anything much of that at the time. 

Looking at their team stats, I see they scored none—zero, zilch, nada—the entire season. I can't remember that ever happening before in my more than fifty years of watching this team. It's just a statistical anomaly I'm sure, but it makes me think that this is another reason that, next season, when that's unlikely to happen again, they will be a better team. 

Likewise they scored zero kick return TDs, which is less of a surprise given their generally poor special teams play. I expect them to do better in this area as well, just as a matter of luck if nothing else. 

Odds are you see 1-2 defensive scores next year. Probably not a kick return, but it’s possible.

36 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think it's a huge difference from 2017. From what I recall they had 2 defensive TDs and zero ST TDs 

One of those plays can turn a game. The difference between 2 and 0 is not insignificant. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

One of those plays can turn a game. The difference between 2 and 0 is not insignificant. 

Oh I agree. I just meant that we weren't talking about a big shift from a team that was 2018 Bears-like in their ability to score on defense to a team that doesn't score on D.

Some great Ds aren't the scoring type. The Seattle teams weren't known for scoring on D, but they routinely finished near the top of the league in PPG allowed, sacks, and turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1

The weird thing is that the Bills were second in the league in forced fumbles with 24 and tied for seventh in interceptions with 16. It's actually pretty remarkable that they never scored on any of these plays. You'd almost have to TRY not to score in order to go 0 for 40. That's why i say it's a statistical anomaly. 

By the way, stats say the Bills recovered one fumble for a TD, but that was by Jason Croom when Zay Jones fumbled at the goal line on an offensive play. Not a defensive recovery for TD. 

Edited by Dr. K

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

How does this compare to the rest of the league? Are the Bills all alone in this category, or are there other teams in the same boat?

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Answers my question. Two of those were playoff teams. My guess is that it doesn't matter a ton. Nice to have scoring defenses and special teams, but that doesn't move the needle all that much unless they are really going crazy and scoring a bunch. The defenses job is to stop the opposing offense from scoring. I they are good at that they'll be a good defense.

Edited by MJS

2 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

26th in sacks doesn't help.

26th in sacks is the corollary. While ST/D TD's are pretty random, the best way to get em is to whip opposing QB's. Gotta add some personnel in this dept.

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

A bit misleading as was pointed out how few pass attempts they faced. As a percent of pass play they actually ranked quite high in pressures/sacks.

Fair point. Still want to add a pass rusher.

• Like (+1) 1