Would you want Ziggy Ansah if he hits the open market?

njbuff

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Would you want him and signing him makes Lawson a super sub?

I don't think he will command the mega-contract that he was seeking last off season.

But what do I know.

What do you think?

I would totally be for a 3 year deal......3 yrs, 30 M. Its one of those deals you can do on the rookie QB timeline.......

Hasn’t his play dropped off and doesn’t he have injury issues?  

Im not against it, but he feels like a lot like our signing of Star last year.  More name than recent production.  

But also haven’t followed him closely lately, so not sure how accurate my impression of him is at this moment.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hasn’t his play dropped off and doesn’t he have injury issues?  

Im not against it, but he feels like a lot like our signing of Star last year.  More name than recent production.  

But also haven’t followed him closely lately, so not sure how accurate my impression of him is at this moment.  

That's why I am saying he will not command a huge contract.

As long as it's not a big pay day. That's all I mean.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I would not personally want him. Might get flamed for it but I’d rather just keep Trent Murphy. Same player to me only ziggy would cost a lot more 

I actually didn’t understand some of the Murphy hate.  He had some injuries slow him down, but he wasn’t that bad when he was healthy and made some contributions.  I am fine if he is on the roster this year personally.  

• Like (+1) 5

Hmm 30 years old in May and has only played a full 16-game schedule twice in his career. He's a tremendous talent but keeping him on the field is a lottery ticket. I'd love to see him on the team at a reasonable salary but I think some team is going to break the bank for him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I actually didn’t understand some of the Murphy hate.  He had some injuries slow him down, but he wasn’t that bad when he was healthy and made some contributions.  I am fine if he is on the roster this year personally.  

I agree I thought he played quite well. When healthy which wasn’t much this season he had good pressures consistently 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't believe he's the Ansah. I think our edge player is going to come in the first round of the draft and the rest of the resources will be spent on offense.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I think about the available edge rushers in this draft. Cielen Ferrell. Ehhh.  I’m scared of the Clemson Edge rushers.  Rashaan Gary?  His best fit in a 4-3 is 3 technique   Polite?  Ehhh...... I’d feel better about drafting him if we trade down.   Sweat? Ditto, Ehhhhhh.  Don’t see him BPA.  I wouldn’t take any of those over Oliver.  

If Bosa or Josh Allen were in play I’d grab a DE.  I don’t know if any of the other ends are worth the 9th pick. 

Isn’t this Lawson’s 4th year, aka picking up the 5th year option for a 1st rounder? He’s made good strides the last couple seasons, but if he’s deemed worthy of top 10 $$ for DE (which he isn’t), there’s little to nothing left to spend adding a FA of value here, imo. I think he knows his play is underwhelming, but it’s not his fault Rex’s kid was his college roommate and he’ll be getting a nice 2nd contract from somebody. 

I'm absolutely open to a pass rusher, but there's too many other good ones out there to toss big money at Ziggy. Just not consistent enough for me.

If I'm going pass rusher in FA, I'm looking at Clowney, Lawrence, Graham, etc.

That said, I think this is a great year to be drafting pass rushers in round 1 (interior or EDGE).

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don't think he will command the mega-contract that he was seeking last off season.

But what do I know.

What do you think?

I'd rather try to make a run at DeMarcus Lawrence. Will probably be more expensive though

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

But what do I know.

What do you think?

No question he can help us. But at what price? He is not worth perennial pro bowl money but would be a steal at 10 mill per year. He is an elite 4-3 End when healthy. Last year Detroit did a Rex Ryan switch on him from 4-3 to "multiple" and that did mess him up some. So he will be a better fit in our 4-3.  

In summary, he is a huge talent and is a perfect fit for our defense. But there are some health concerns. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Isn’t this Lawson’s 4th year, aka picking up the 5th year option for a 1st rounder? He’s made good strides the last couple seasons, but if he’s deemed worthy of top 10 $$ for DE (which he isn’t), there’s little to nothing left to spend adding a FA of value here, imo. I think he knows his play is underwhelming, but it’s not his fault Rex’s kid was his college roommate and he’ll be getting a nice 2nd contract from somebody. 

I'm somewhat close to agreeing with your overall premise, but that whole "Rex's kid was his college roommate" thing is not really fair as it, with ample snark, implies he was ridiculously overdrafted, when in truth, unless the prognosticators were waaaaay off base compared to the scouts here, he actually came off the board late. I remember watching that draft from early on in the night; it took place in Chicago, who held the 11th pick, and the announcers noted the fans were chanting for him, so he wasn't exactly a mystery or even a dark horse. Awhile back, when I was getting a bit annoyed at this revisionism, I looked back at about a dozen mock drafts and the lowest he went in any of them was 19. 

I definitely would have reservations about them picking up his option, but could also see them doing it as McD seems to have taken to him and they might feel as it's worth the risk considering all the cap space, and worst case scenario he's off the books in 2021.

That said, his value would seem to be more vs. the run and in containment, while, if he hits his peak, being an overall Lorax-style pain in the neck for an opposing offense. Adding an above average pass rusher might take this defense from above average to elite, and pass rushers might be the best value in both the FA open market and first round to boot.