Which is a better investment? Offense or Defense?

iinii

Offense helps get to the playoffs. Defense still help win playoff and championships. 

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If I have achooce between 

#1 D with #15 Offense

or

#1 Offense with #15 D

Im taking the first, I can win a SB with that.

I'd say if the offense can get going and the defense stops an offense.  To say for me.  If one of those can do it i'd take it

This game is designed for points to be scored and the rules are geared to help fascilitate a play field that will allow those points to be scored.

You margin for error is severely smaller if you go the defense route.  Asking your defense to fight the opposing offense, the refs/rules and current trends is just asking too much over 16, 32, 48 games.

you can’t expect to keep 11 guys together for long periods of time and demand they hold the opponent to 14-16 points per game or you lose.

Go offense and either win 31-28 or lose 31-28.  Either way you will have way more fun with those outcomes then the 16-13, 12-10 outcomes.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

4 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

This game is designed for points to be scored and the rules are geared to help fascilitate a play field that will allow those points to be scored.

You margin for error is severely smaller if you go the defense route.  Asking your defense to fight the opposing offense, the refs/rules and current trends is just asking too much over 16, 32, 48 games.

you can’t expect to keep 11 guys together for long periods of time and demand they hold the opponent to 14-16 points per game or you lose.

Go offense and either win 31-28 or lose 31-28.  Either way you will have way more fun with those outcomes then the 16-13, 12-10 outcomes.

Nah, the game is designed for points to be scored ... or not.

Either way, there's a winner. Plenty of drives end with no points. You want to maximize that number.

Neither the D nor the O is fighting the rules. Both are playing within the rules. It's just a matter of how well they do that. This year, the offense has gained the advantage. But it's a cyclical game and the D will analyze and adapt and catch up. That's how it works.

Overall the formula that's had most success is this ... get a good defense and a top ten QB. That'll put you in contention consistently.

EDIT: I see, the video explains the meaning of the thread. And it does indeed make more sense as a mildly sarcastic comment than as yet another examination of the question.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

#1 D with #15 Offense

or

#1 Offense with #15 D

‘Sure.... Right’ says Bill Belichick to Kansas City 

47 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Didn't we have a top defense and bottom offense while the Chiefs had a top offense and bottom defense?  I'll take the Chiefs results over ours.

Nope - below average 23.38 ppg allowed. Only two playoff teams with worse defenses and they had top 2 offenses. 

Bills were a below average team on both sides of the ball and it shows in the resulting record. 

13 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

For me, there is nothing more frustrating than watching my team's inability to stop an opposing offense.  I'm not telling you you're wrong, but I bet a lot of people feel the way I do.

I'm much more confident if I know my team won't lay down on D, because playing good defense almost always gives you a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

#1 D with #15 Offense

or

#1 Offense with #15 D

Really? None of the top 5 defenses are still playing. OBD needs you. 

I would rather have a top 5 offense with a top 15 defense than the reverse. This is an offensively driven league now. You do need defense (at least a decent mid level defense) and special teams but you have to be able to put up points. Is it possible we could see a generational defense like Seattle 2013 or Denver 2015 win a Super Bowl with a limited offense? Yes, exceptions do happen. But it is more likely that more than likely that 8-9 of the next Super Bowl winners will boast a top 5 offense, with a lot of them having defenses ranked outside the top 10. 

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well. KC had the best offense, but their defense was their demise.  A previous poster mentioned preferring a top offense, but at least 15th in defense.  I’d bring that number up to 11th or 12th.  If KC has a better secondary, they probably would have won that game.

Yes.  KC had the best offense, and defense was their demise, in the AFC title game, in OT.  Top 4 scoring teams were Chiefs / Rams / Saints / Pats.....

Top 5 defenses between various metrics were:  Ravens / Bears / Bills / Vikings / Jags.  0-2 in the playoffs in that whole group.

In today's nfl, answer is top offense, with a defense capable of forcing timely turnovers.

Even with the rules changes and officiating brouhaha, I still think playoff football magnifies the importance of defense.  

In our particular situation, I think a top defense actually helps some young quarterbacks (including Josh Allen) because the fewer the points the other team scores, the less pressure that is on your young guy to score.  Mental pressure can be just as big a factor as physical, pass rushing pressure when it comes to quarterbacking in the NFL.  

Roethlisburger, Brady, Wilson (I'm sure I'm missing a few more that still play now) all "grew up" with exceptionally good defenses on the other side of the ball.  

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

its not unpossible to understand that. It's just the way it is.  And I wish I watched more of both teams I could 100% lock in the winner.

I agree defense wins Championships. But without and offence you don't make it to the playoffs.

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well. KC had the best offense, but their defense was their demise.  A previous poster mentioned preferring a top offense, but at least 15th in defense.  I’d bring that number up to 11th or 12th.  If KC has a better secondary, they probably would have won that game.

I think the word "demise" is too strong.  The were likely a coin flip away from playing in the Super Bowl.  

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

‘Sure.... Right’ says Bill Belichick to Kansas City 

Nope - below average 23.38 ppg allowed. Only two playoff teams with worse defenses and they had top 2 offenses. 

Bills were a below average team on both sides of the ball and it shows in the resulting record. 

NE being in the SB actually backs up what Im saying about prefering a better D.  You see, KC had the #1 offense in the NFL but NE had the better D so the point you might be trying to bring up with NE actually varifies what I think.