Right Tackle market shaping up

CaptnCoke11

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Draft one.  What about the other? You’re ok with keeping Dawkins at tackle?  I just can’t see why anyone would want him protecting our franchises blindside.  He was awful last season.  I’m sure having bums playing next to him contributed to his regression but he didn’t earn another season as our starting LT imo.  Not sure he can even play RT.  I think he could be an upper tier guard and that’s the route I would take.  I’m sure he’d be bitter but it’s his fault.  He should’ve played better

sophmore jinx? i'd like to sign trent brown and move dawkins to the right side and redo a contract for him. then bring in paradis.  there's our free agent oline spending.

if we do that then we can go a few different ways...ie.  sign ziggy ansah and go oline /wr early......or go bpa (oliver?)....or trade down and gather picks.

i'm not as concerned with pass rush(er) as much as i'm concerned with frazier's 90's defense.  we will still have.... a hopefully progressing shaq.... a healthy trent murphy looking to make a stand....and lorax to mix all over. maybe mike love develops. either way , it doesn't matter if frazier isn't aggressive.

at least we got rid of crossman and juan. next year will be frazier.

Edited by billsredneck1

5 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

My goodness he's not even that good. He is a Mills level player. 

And their not even letting him hit the market.

I’m telling you even above average talent isn’t going to get out on the market, as much as I hope it would.  The bodine’s of the world will be available.

Really good talent just doesn’t get out there.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

And there not even letting him hit th market.

I’m telling you even above average talent isn’t going to get out on the market, as much as I hope it would.  The bodine’s of the world will be available.

Really good talent just doesn’t get out there.

Fully agree. Probably a good reason to be extremely careful about ridding your team of talented players. Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1

Left Tackle:

Let Dawkins compete for it, but bring competition. He has the athletic ability and I believe he knows now what he needs to do to get better. But someone to challenge him would be a good thing. 

FA Targets: Greg Robinson, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jared Veldheer, LaAdrian Waddle

Draft Targets: Jawaan Taylor, Kaleb McGary

Left Guard: 

Go after a free agent, Glowinski would be #1 target because of his age and his familiarity with our new OL coach. I’d almost prefer a veteran here. I think part of Dawkins issues stemmed from trying to do too much with the two guys he played next to (Incognito and Wood) being out of the lineup.

FA Targets: Mark Glowinski, Rodger Saffold, Ramon Foster, DJ Fluker 

Draft Targets: Chris Lindstrom, Michael Deiter, Dru Samia.

Center:

This is a position I personally am willing to invest a lot into. Get Paradis or Morse. If not go after a highly rated prospect in round two or three.

FA Targets: Matt Paradis, Mitch Morse, Nick Easton

Draft Targets: Dalton Risner, Elgton Jenkins, Michael Deiter.

Right Guard:

Teller will fill one of the spots, but he shouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot. Either draft or sign someone to challenge him as well. 

Right Tackle:

Go Big for a Free Agent. We have the cap space and need a couple vets on the line. A guy like Daryl Williams or Trent Brown would go a long way in helping solve our line issues. This could also be a player that ends up at left tackle and pushes Dawkins to this right side.

FA Targets: Daryl Williams, Trent Brown, Donovan Smith, JaWuan James.

Draft Targets: Dalton Risner, Cody Ford, Jonah Williams, Greg Little, Andre Dillard.

One guy I really really want them to pick is Michael Deiter. OL from Wisconsin. He’s a senior, and he’s started over 50 games he’s played (every game in college he’s played, he’s started). He’s started 14 at Tackle, 16 at center and 21 at guard. This guy is just a player. He’s scheme and position diverse which is needed on an NFL roster where teams don’t carry 10 OL any more and typically only carry 8 at the most. 

I feel at worst hes a player who would be our #1 backup. At best he could be our long term answer at center... or guard... or even tackle.

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

People: Glowinski sucks. 

Yeah getting overrated around here, I think. I remember Chris Simms saying the Chiefs should line Chris Jones up over Glowinski all day because he was the weak link on that line.

Saffold is no superstar but he's a solid player and the better of the two.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

Left Tackle:

Let Dawkins compete for it, but bring competition. He has the athletic ability and I believe he knows now what he needs to do to get better. But someone to challenge him would be a good thing. 

FA Targets: Greg Robinson, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jared Veldheer, LaAdrian Waddle

Draft Targets: Jawaan Taylor, Kaleb McGary

Left Guard: 

Go after a free agent, Glowinski would be #1 target because of his age and his familiarity with our new OL coach. I’d almost prefer a veteran here. I think part of Dawkins issues stemmed from trying to do too much with the two guys he played next to (Incognito and Wood) being out of the lineup.

Center:

This is a position I personally am willing to invest a lot into. Get Paradis or Morse. If not go after a highly rated prospect in round two or three.

FA Targets: Matt Paradis, Mitch Morse, Nick Easton

Draft Targets: Dalton Risner, Elgton Jenkins, Michael Deiter.

Right Guard:

Teller will fill one of the spots, but he shouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot. Either draft or sign someone to challenge him as well. 

Right Tackle:

Go Big for a Free Agent. We have the cap space and need a couple vets on the line. A guy like Daryl Williams or Trent Brown would go a long way in helping solve our line issues. This could also be a player that ends up at left tackle and pushes Dawkins to this right side.

FA Targets: Daryl Williams, Trent Brown, Donovan Smith, JaWuan James.

Draft Targets: Dalton Risner, Cody Ford, Jonah Williams, Greg Little, Andre Dillard.

One guy I really really want them to pick is Michael Deiter. OL from Wisconsin. He’s a senior, and he’s started over 50 games he’s played (every game in college he’s played, he’s started). He’s started 14 at Tackle, 16 at center and 21 at guard. This guy is just a player. He’s scheme and position diverse which is needed on an NFL roster where teams don’t carry 10 OL any more and typically only carry 8 at the most. 

I feel at worst hes a player who would be our #1 backup. At best he could be our long term answer at center... or guard... or even tackle.

I like some of the names you got here....

from what I saw Thursday at the senior practice. 

Michael Deiter struggled, listed as 6’5” 304lbs lower body strength looks suspect. Got overpowered and beat often.

Dru Samia same deal, tall, suspect lower body strength. Reached a lot and beat often. 

I may alone on this one but I wasn’t a fan of Dillard... yeah he’s quick and his strength is stopping the speed rush. I just question his length and run game ability. Looked suspect to the inside move, and a DE with a solid bull rush may hurt him. Just watched a Eagles reporter mention late 1st early second and that’s exactly what I said.

Chris Lindstrom was super solid. Probably best OG at Senior Bowl. He should go top 50.

Id go

FA- Daryl Williams RT

Draft Risner for Center, Ben Powers Oklahoma rd 3 RG. (But still get a Foster/Saffold)

Dalton Risner

Chris Lindstrom 

Garrett Bradbury 

Ben Powers

Ross Pierschbacher (was solid, not as good as Bradbury but solid I think Bradbury is a late 2nd early 3rd and Ross is a mid late 3rd.)

Jonah Williams I think is solid, just not sold on Jawaan Taylor (let’s nit forget a RT),  Greg Little (don’t trust effort), or Andre Dillard for reasons above.

That being said, gotta get Juwaan James or Daryl Williams. I think the OTs in the draft suck, except I would mind Risner at RT even though I think he could be an all pro center, seriously.

Get your interior OL in the draft, they are solid rounds 2-3. Trading down a few spots to grab Risner as future center, plus getting an extra 3rd and maybe 5th or 6th.... great! Go get another interior OL with that 3rd.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wppete said:

You are right, Dawkins looked bad last year and concerning. I really don’t know how they will approach the OL but it has to be rebuilt at every position

I'm not willing to pass judgement on ANY of the OL based on how they played over time under Castillo's coaching.

Miller was looking good in his first season in Buffalo, then Juan took over.

Wood got a lot worse under Castillo.

Dawkins looked great out of college then got worse over time.

See a pattern here?

Dawkins might be a lot better then we think.

"but it has to be rebuilt at every position" so the OL that led the league in rushing two straight years before Castillo took over now looks like complete garbage?

Maybe all of them got a lot better when that clown left town?

Edited by BobChalmers

13 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Yeah getting overrated around here, I think. I remember Chris Simms saying the Chiefs should line Chris Jones up over Glowinski all day because he was the weak link on that line.

Saffold is no superstar but he's a solid player and the better of the two.

Its the blind TBD non research anythings better than what we got call for help. Glowinski would be a Melvin Fowler AT BEST. I would lose instant hope for OG Bobby Johnson if we even pursued him. 4-5 way better options than him at least. Ex: Saffold, Foster, Spain, Levetrie, just to name 4, probably another 4 better too.

1 hour ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I like some of the names you got here....

from what I saw Thursday at the senior practice. 

Michael Deiter struggled, listed as 6’5” 304lbs lower body strength looks suspect. Got overpowered and beat often.

Dru Samia same deal, tall, suspect lower body strength. Reached a lot and beat often. 

I may alone on this one but I wasn’t a fan of Dillard... yeah he’s quick and his strength is stopping the speed rush. I just question his length and run game ability. Looked suspect to the inside move, and a DE with a solid bull rush may hurt him. Just watched a Eagles reporter mention late 1st early second and that’s exactly what I said.

Chris Lindstrom was super solid. Probably best OG at Senior Bowl. He should go top 50.

Id go

FA- Daryl Williams RT

Draft Risner for Center, Ben Powers Oklahoma rd 3 RG. (But still get a Foster/Saffold)

Dalton Risner

Chris Lindstrom 

Garrett Bradbury 

Ben Powers

Ross Pierschbacher (was solid, not as good as Bradbury but solid I think Bradbury is a late 2nd early 3rd and Ross is a mid late 3rd.)

Jonah Williams I think is solid, just not sold on Jawaan Taylor (let’s nit forget a RT),  Greg Little (don’t trust effort), or Andre Dillard for reasons above.

That being said, gotta get Juwaan James or Daryl Williams. I think the OTs in the draft suck, except I would mind Risner at RT even though I think he could be an all pro center, seriously.

Get your interior OL in the draft, they are solid rounds 2-3. Trading down a few spots to grab Risner as future center, plus getting an extra 3rd and maybe 5th or 6th.... great! Go get another interior OL with that 3rd.

Bradbury and Lindstrom are becoming crushes for me. Do you have any thoughts on Erik McCoy, Center, A&M?

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Starting to think we should sign Williams and Trent Brown, move Dawkins to guard and draft the best center possible.  Paradies has been my target, but looking at his age and his injuries+ the $ he’ll command, I don’t think he’s our best option. 

I doubt Paradis leaves the Broncos but I don't think I'd be on board with a rookie C starting for my 2nd year QB, the C position is like the QB of the OL, I'd be fine with Bodine and drafting the best C possible. Maybe they move Dawkins to G, I don't forsee that happening only because there are like 3 other teams including the Jets who have close or better cap space than us. If I had to guess I'd say we keep Dawkins at LT, sign C Travis Swanson, LG Quinton Spain and RT Darryl Williams, keep Teller at RG also draft a C in the the 2nd or 3rd round, possibly resign Mills/Groy as adequate depth but that's just my opinion.

Really looking forward to seeing how Beane navigates his way through this OL puzzle via Free Agency and the draft...

I would  like to see them go with 3 new starters, only keeping Teller and Dawkins from last season, and Bodine as depth/ insurance at C..and I admit Teller still has some way to go to prove his worth so he might not be a longer term answer beyond 2019..

ideally you would prefer to fill two of these holes in FA in my opinion... they need two veterans at a minimum to compliment the other younger guys.. being realistic I’ll hope that they can land one of the big names available and one of the mid level options..

The third guy will need to be found in the draft  top 50 ..,( Lindstrom is someone I like as well ) I would also expect them to draft another guy third round/ early Day 3 to bring along as solid depth/ starter option for 2020 when we all hope the Super Bowl window is open for business under JA’s rookie contract..

Pressure is on Beane ( and McD I guess)  but I would prefer to be optimistic at this stage that he can put the jigsaw together... 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Some light rumors that Trent Williams might be a cap casualty. He’s still a Top 10 LT. 

If he becomes available we need to throw $50M at him.

Him at lt Dawkins left guard, second round center. Teller right guard risner in the first. Boom

7 hours ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Bradbury and Lindstrom are becoming crushes for me. Do you have any thoughts on Erik McCoy, Center, A&M?

McCoy was good. This dude was very thick lower half. Feet were ok, not the quickest, strong though. The thing that worries me is he measured at 32 inch arms. You could tell too. But he did have a good day the day I saw him. I’d just worry what JJ Watt, Suh and NFL tackles would do to expose his length. I’d say probably 5th Round pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not all the draftable o-lineman were in the game yesterday, but from what I saw, if the idea is to get the best player available (in o-linemen), then draft Garrett Bradbury in the first round! He was a wall, drove people backward, he was by far the best O-lineman on the field. 

I know, "you don't draft centers" with a 9th pick, said by the same people who say "you don't draft guards" that high. Check out what the Colts did last year. Drafting for need would be to take a Tackle, drafting the BPA, would be taking Bradbury, there was no one close to him.

Take him, and draft a worthy guard or tackle in the 2nd. The Bills have to build the line! Without it, you're just spinning your wheels.

And one other thought, I think every possible Free Agent has been mentioned; understand, almost every team is looking to upgrade their line. The idea the Bills are just going to sign who they want the day it opens is silly. As someone said above, the quality of players you'll find in FA are Bodine-like. Guys like Mills and Miller will be signed by someone, and probably for pretty decent pay increases. Going the FA route is simply shuffling the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Build the line through the draft!!!!!! And start with Bradbury!!!!