Could JP Losman Help Rejuvenate Josh Rosen in AZ?

1 hour ago, 4th&long said:

Rejuvenate? The kid just finished his rookie year! And good for jp. Hopefully he gets the job and does well.

i was reading through this topic for the first time and was thinking the same thing before I read this post.

you can't rejuvenate something/someone that hasn't had the time to show progress or regression. There are tons of unknowns going into next year for Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, ect.

Hopefully Allen shows the most progress (and I think he will if he gets some oline help and pass catchers).

I liked J.P. while he was a Bill. wish him nothing but the best. His pro career didn't work out, but he really seemed like a good guy and threw himself into the community. 

i remember how Kent Hull used to always call him B.J. instead of J.P. - would make everyone laugh. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

JP was eerily similar to Rob Johnson in that regard. Never felt pressure, got sacked a million times, and ultimately couldn't get it done despite talent. Guys like that can make the best offensive line look like trash. Have no idea what kind of coach he is, but he was the furthest thing from a cerebral QB one could imagine

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could look back at this guy and say "yeah, but maybe he would be a better QB coach some day"..

He seemed like a rock head.  Scrambled around because he didn't know were his second read was and then either got sacked or tossed the ball straight up in the air as hard as he could and then waited for Lee Evans to run under it.

Anyway, how nervous should the Cards ownership be that their new, zero experience NFL HC is interviewing the likes of Hue Jackson and JP for his staff?  And Rosen has to be thinking "WTF with theses guys??"

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Rejuvanate" seems an inapt term to refer to a second-year player.  Giving Rosen a decent OL and receiving corps would seem more helpful.

I wish JP well, but physical similarities don't seem like a great basis for proposing someone as an especial help.  QC Assistant would probably be a good position for him.

I will never understand why people question the concept that young QB can be "ruined".  Everyone accepts that there's a huge difference between the college and the pro game.  It just seems self-evident that for a young QB, being asked to play before he fully understands the concepts, behind an OL that can't give him time, and with targets who can't release and get open won't help him learn what works in the NFL - because when nothing works, it's hard to distinguish what should have worked "if", and hard to have the right kind of confidence.

Add in a poor offensive scheme and bad coaching and there you go.

I question, to an extent, if a quarterback can be ruined "for life" by a bad early experience.

Excellence at the most demanding position in sports requires a certain intestinal fortitude that few possess. Aikman's name is thrown around quite a bit as a guy who turned it around despite a crap supporting cast. I'll flip that and say he wasn't ruined as a quarterback. Now he announces like he's taken too many shots to the head, but that's a different story.

It just seems to me that a guy who's going to be an elite quarterback will overcome most obstacles.

18 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

JP story is interesting.....particularily since JP failed as a pro Qb becasue he didn't have the "head" for it.

You can know everything there is to know about playing QB but if you can't apply it within 2 seconds you can't succeed. 

The best QB coaches probably couldn't play QB in the NFL. 

18 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

JP story is interesting.....particularily since JP failed as a pro Qb becasue he didn't have the "head" for it.

He did not have good enough arm nor could he react fast enough but that does not make it a head issue.  He shined in training camp implying he knew what to do but just could not due it.

43 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I question, to an extent, if a quarterback can be ruined "for life" by a bad early experience.

Excellence at the most demanding position in sports requires a certain intestinal fortitude that few possess. Aikman's name is thrown around quite a bit as a guy who turned it around despite a crap supporting cast. I'll flip that and say he wasn't ruined as a quarterback. Now he announces like he's taken too many shots to the head, but that's a different story.

It just seems to me that a guy who's going to be an elite quarterback will overcome most obstacles.

...think it would depend on individual psyche......interesting reads by the draft pundits about Losman in 2004........deemed the "heir apparent gunslinger to Favre and the Pack pick at 23"....but good 'ol Tom Terrific Donohole snookered them....between the picks surrendered and blowing the Big Ben selection, Losman was rushed into service long before ready....add in the illustrious OC Steve Foulchild for good measure......the broken leg didn't help nor did happy feet....EJ was another one rushed into service long before ready........he struggled mightily with reads/progressions and had ZERO self-confidence.....look at the Allen kid with the negative hype, bumps and bruises early on, yet just keeps working his tail off (with Jordan Palmer now) to get better......sure as hell has the intestinal fortitude......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

7 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It doesn’t work because you didn’t copy the actual URL for the gif. The link you provided isn’t a link to the image it’s a link to the page where that image is. The actual link for an image should end in .gif, if you are trying to insert a GIF

Yeah I figured it out...that's what I get for visiting sites on my mobile device where it doesn't give you all the options...

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think it would depend on individual psyche......interesting reads by the draft pundits about Losman in 2004........deemed the "heir apparent gunslinger to Favre and the Pack pick at 23"....but good 'ol Tom Terrific Donohole snookered them....between the picks surrendered and blowing the Big Ben selection, Losman was rushed into service long before ready....add in the illustrious OC Steve Foulchild for good measure......the broken leg didn't help nor did happy feet....EJ was another one rushed into service long before ready........he struggled mightily with reads/progressions and had ZERO self-confidence.....look at the Allen kid with the negative hype, bumps and bruises early on, yet just keeps working his tail off (with Jordan Palmer now) to get better......sure as hell has the intestinal fortitude......

Lots of good stuff in there, but the keypharse to me was individual psyche. I can't even imagine how self assured one has to be to reach the pinnacle as a quarterback. It's the most demanding position in sports. I certainly don't have the psyche(NOR THE TALENT) to do it. I imagine that the individual psyche separates the also rans from the hall of famers. Not quite sure a hall of fame psyche can be ruined. As to Allen, the hard work and determination is there. I certainly don't think 2018 is going to "ruin" him. He'll sink or swim in the long run based on his ability to improve in certain areas. He'll eventually have a decent supporting cast.(we hope)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You have a valid point that there are a number of quality NFL QB who had a rocky start and eventually turned it around.  Some of them became great - Steve Young and Drew Brees would be two examples.  Alex Smith became a quality NFL starter.  Bradford became capable, if you overlook his knee.   Foles and Keenum both had "looks like crap" patches followed by quality play.

The thing is, it's fundamentally a hypothesis one can't disprove since we don't get real-life do-overs; we'll never know how many of the guys who wound up on the "bust" pile would have wound up on the "oh Hell Yeah!" side of football history if Pat Shurmur stayed in town, or they had a chance to sit and learn from Mike McCarthy or Andy Reid for a year before being thrown into it.

So it becomes essentially a matter of personal belief.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

i was reading through this topic for the first time and was thinking the same thing before I read this post.

you can't rejuvenate something/someone that hasn't had the time to show progress or regression. There are tons of unknowns going into next year for Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, ect.

Hopefully Allen shows the most progress (and I think he will if he gets some oline help and pass catchers).

I liked J.P. while he was a Bill. wish him nothing but the best. His pro career didn't work out, but he really seemed like a good guy and threw himself into the community. 

i remember how Kent Hull used to always call him B.J. instead of J.P. - would make everyone laugh. 

Some draft analysts said that Rosen was the most Pro-ready, meaning he was ready to step in and start.  I think by most accounts his rookie year was a disappointment

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could look back at this guy and say "yeah, but maybe he would be a better QB coach some day"..

He seemed like a rock head.  Scrambled around because he didn't know were his second read was and then either got sacked or tossed the ball straight up in the air as hard as he could and then waited for Lee Evans to run under it.

Anyway, how nervous should the Cards ownership be that their new, zero experience NFL HC is interviewing the likes of Hue Jackson and JP for his staff?  And Rosen has to be thinking "WTF with theses guys??"

So essentially you’re saying that the head coach of the best college program that has been an offensive juggernaut and just pasted a star-studded Alabama, is an idiot for employing JP for two years?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

EJ also couldn't throw accurately, even on short tosses.

Yet, EJ had a better qb rating than future HOfer Josh Allen. ?

And good for JP.  It’s weird because people i know who knew JP said he wasn’t really into sports. One of the last guys I thought would ever be a coach.  But sounds like he’s moving up the ranks pretty fast. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yet, EJ had a better qb rating than future HOfer Josh Allen. ?

And good for JP.  It’s weird because people i know who knew JP said he wasn’t really into sports. One of the last guys I thought would ever be a coach.  But sounds like he’s moving up the ranks pretty fast. 

Would you rather have ej over josh?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He did not have good enough arm nor could he react fast enough but that does not make it a head issue.  He shined in training camp implying he knew what to do but just could not due it.

Lmao that he didn't have an arm. The only thing he could do was throw deep. Strength wasn't his problem.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2019 at 5:35 PM, WideNine said:

EJ was another one... all the tools, passed the eye-test, but could not grasp a playbook or read defenses. I was hoping he would pull it off early on, but eventually heard why his development was stuck in Neutral.

Which brings me to another unsung part of Allen's game... his pocket presence. Knowing when (often) protection was breaking down and avoiding or escaping the pressure. Seems many of our failed attempts at filling the QB role were guys that did not have that - stood somewhat immobile in the pocket till they were sacked over and over. Tyrod did not have that issue, but could only take the team so far.

EJ didn't quite pass the test. In fact Buffalo was continually chided for taking a third round prospect in the first. It was a total desperation pick at best.

41 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

EJ didn't quite pass the test. In fact Buffalo was continually chided for taking a third round prospect in the first. It was a total desperation pick at best.

Maybe it was the Snellen Eye Test that EJ passed? The one that they administer in DMV or docs office .  I doubt EJ passed any NFL QB eye test lol .   Here is a guy who ran like a headless chicken and threw the ball like he was aiming at a dart board .