Draftniks: Name your 2019 Draft "Crush"

Logic

On 1/26/2019 at 9:35 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching Fant and kept noticing the "other" TE. I believe he will be a great TE in the Jason Witten  mode.

Like Risner but he's not worthy of 9 or 15. Still a big fan of Marquise Hollywood Brown.  Fant at 15 might be a decent pick. Hopefully the combine clarifies a few things.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

On 1/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I was watching Fant and kept noticing the "other" TE. I believe he will be a great TE in the Jason Witten  mode.

I can see the Bills trading back and selecting TJ Hockenson.  That is my sleeper pick for Buffalo

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/25/2019 at 3:57 PM, wppete said:

Not sure how Bean is going to approach this but Risner will be a Bill. Either trade back pick up some extra picks and draft arisner or draft a stud DL at #9 and then trade back up to the 20s and get Risner also. But I have a very good feeling he will be a Buffalo Bill next year. 

I hope you're right - he's my on the record draft crush but still think his value in this pool falls in the 20-32/early 2nd range for the pick. He may likely go higher than that, but if we're left sitting at 9 it'd be difficult to argue his value there. Issue being if we attempt to trade back up into the first, we likely lose out on a top WR talent in the draft needing to give up our 2nd. 

Bradbury is a solid option here as well, and Lindstrom would be nice mid-round interior OL talent - but if there's one OL in this draft I'd like to see us get, it's Risner.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Like Risner but he's not worthy of 9 or 15. Still a big fan of Marquise Hollywood Brown.  Fant at 15 might be a decent pick. Hopefully the combine clarifies a few things.

Honest questions what does Marquise Brown have that guys like McKenzie/Desean Jackson/Foster dont have?

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

i freaking hate Brown, which is an overreaction , but hes just way too small and injured. We have had too many munchkin WRs like him not pan out.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

i freaking hate Brown, which is an overreaction , but hes just way too small and injured. We have had too many munchkin WRs like him not pan out.

4 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Honest questions what does Marquise Brown have that guys like McKenzie/Desean Jackson/Foster dont have?

Sorry for the long post, but bored, it is like 30 below zero, and thought I would put some time into this so take from it what you will:

M. Brown is fast - the real twitchy kind of fast with break away speed and I think he will have a great 40 time.

All that being said, I am not sold on M. Brown as someone the Bills should spend their draft capital on:

First he is a warm weather kid - grew up in "Hollywood" Florida.

Second he is small, a feather weight: at 5’ 10” 170 lbs (I think he is closer to 160-165)

Third, these are some notes from another prospect review site, and also what I noted from the video of bigger games.

"His route running is excellent at times. He makes great cuts and accelerates out of breaks. He can get lazy and round off cuts but that can be fixed with coaching.

His hands are average and will drop the ball when open due to concentration issues. Again I don’t think that it’s a systemic problem and can be improved with coaching.

He is not good at contested catches and needs a open window to make his receptions.

He is elite in the open field but he doesn’t have the greatest tackle breaking prowess. He often goes down with an arm tackle. This might improve as he ages and gets a little stronger. He is not a strong player and his ability against the press is due to his quickness and not his strength."

I like to see how players step up in big games:

Rose bowl with Mayfield at QB, Mayfield leaned more heavily on Lamb for the game: 

14:53 mark - Marquis Brown 1st target I see in the game - brought down pretty quickly before getting to the sticks.

16:54 mark - you see Browns explosive speed as he simply outruns defenders and picks up a bunch off of a drag route underneath.

after that he is only used twice on reverses and goes down quickly both times (not going to take anything away from the Georgia defenders who do a good job playing sideline to sideline and tackling).

I think that was it.

As a side note: check out Mayfield at the: 24:03, 24:36, 24:49, and 27:04 mark and imagine him behind the Bills o-line. He obviously has a commanding nature, decisive, and gets rid of the ball in a hurry, and was productive in that Sooner offense - in that respect he certainly reminds me of Brees. That being said, Cleveland must have a much better line than we do, because damn... he definitely is not the type to escape the rush and pick up 20 yards like Allen. I did not watch the Rose ball in 2018, but Mayfield also had a penchant for sailing wobbly longer passes into double-coverage and honestly the game should have been over when he threw an interception into the end zone during OT, but they threw a flag and gave Oklahoma another set of downs to try to win it. Not-so-much.

I realize he was playing hurt during the Orange Bowl, but ugh - not sure if he made a single catch. I mean as a QB Murray makes a good running back. Either way the Oklahoma offense leaned more heavily on Lamb again as their go to receiver. Their #45 fullback has soft hands and threw some great blocks, too bad FB is a dying position...any way

4:20 mark - 1st pass his way (drop).

11:47 mark - 2nd catchable pass his way (drop).

I think that was it - Brown was certainly productive at college, especially when Mayfield was behind center, but I just did not see it against good competition in big games.

Take from it what you will, and there may be folks with a better perspective. Either way I don't see what this kid would bring that we do not already have on the roster with Foster, and I think Foster has better hands (particularly the way the ball can be during our cold weather home games). We need receivers with great hands and I don't care if they can run past everyone and jump over the freaking moon if they can't hold onto the ball what is the point.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Sorry for the long post, but bored, it is like 30 below zero, and thought I would put some time into this so take from it what you will:

M. Brown is fast - the real twitchy kind of fast with break away speed and I think he will have a great 40 time.

All that being said, I am not sold on M. Brown as someone the Bills should spend their draft capital on:

First he is a warm weather kid - grew up in "Hollywood" Florida.

Second he is small, a feather weight: at 5’ 10” 170 lbs (I think he is closer to 160-165)

Third, these are some notes from another prospect review site, and also what I noted from the video of bigger games.

"His route running is excellent at times. He makes great cuts and accelerates out of breaks. He can get lazy and round off cuts but that can be fixed with coaching.

His hands are average and will drop the ball when open due to concentration issues. Again I don’t think that it’s a systemic problem and can be improved with coaching.

He is not good at contested catches and needs a open window to make his receptions.

He is elite in the open field but he doesn’t have the greatest tackle breaking prowess. He often goes down with an arm tackle. This might improve as he ages and gets a little stronger. He is not a strong player and his ability against the press is due to his quickness and not his strength."

I like to see how players step up in big games:

Rose bowl with Mayfield at QB, Mayfield leaned more heavily on Lamb for the game: 

14:53 mark - Marquis Brown 1st target I see in the game - brought down pretty quickly before getting to the sticks.

16:54 mark - you see Browns explosive speed as he simply outruns defenders and picks up a bunch off of a drag route underneath.

after that he is only used twice on reverses and goes down quickly both times (not going to take anything away from the Georgia defenders who do a good job playing sideline to sideline and tackling).

I think that was it.

As a side note: check out Mayfield at the: 24:03, 24:36, 24:49, and 27:04 mark and imagine him behind the Bills o-line. He obviously has a commanding nature, decisive, and gets rid of the ball in a hurry, and was productive in that Sooner offense - in that respect he certainly reminds me of Brees. That being said, Cleveland must have a much better line than we do, because damn... he definitely is not the type to escape the rush and pick up 20 yards like Allen. I did not watch the Rose ball in 2018, but Mayfield also had a penchant for sailing wobbly longer passes into double-coverage and honestly the game should have been over when he threw an interception into the end zone during OT, but they threw a flag and gave Oklahoma another set of downs to try to win it. Not-so-much.

I realize he was playing hurt during the Orange Bowl, but ugh - not sure if he made a single catch. I mean as a QB Murray makes a good running back. Either way the Oklahoma offense leaned more heavily on Lamb again as their go to receiver. Their #45 fullback has soft hands and threw some great blocks, too bad FB is a dying position...any way

4:20 mark - 1st pass his way (drop).

11:47 mark - 2nd catchable pass his way (drop).

I think that was it - Brown was certainly productive at college, especially when Mayfield was behind center, but I just did not see it against good competition in big games.

Take from it what you will, and there may be folks with a better perspective. Either way I don't see what this kid would bring that we do not already have on the roster with Foster, and I think Foster has better hands (particularly the way the ball can be during our cold weather home games). We need receivers with great hands and I don't care if they can run past everyone and jump over the freaking moon if they can't hold onto the ball what is the point.

pretty much what i said lol.

I really liked Lamb, maybe next year.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is my other major draft crush!  

OSHANE XIMINES - Edge, Old Dominion

I had hoped we could steal him in round 3, but now I have a hard time thinking he will last past mid second and could be a late first guy come draft time as more people are catching on to him. 

My dream scenario:  Trade back to #15 with Washington and pick up their 2nd and maybe an extra pick.  

Use one of our two 2nd round picks to land Ximines.  I do think it’s possibke if we trade down that at some point we will trade up as I doubt Beane would plan on drafting 11 or 12 guys.  So could also see him packaging our 3rd and a 4th to land a third second round pick too, maybe for a guy like Ximines if he falls into the back of half of round 2.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

If we stay at 9, I think Marquis Brown or any DT ranked top 10 that falls to us (Simmons?). I think we'd want to trade down a few spots to get a LT or trade back up into the 1st round where there should be plenty of good value for any one of several OT's. We could go in any number of directions depending on what we do with all that FA money. 

I'm a little concerned about Brown's size (5'10", 168lbs.) and ability to take the punishment, but there's no denying his ability to make game changing plays.