Bills Special Teams Rank 31st In Rick Gosselin’s Rankings

Yesterday Rick Gosselin put out his yearly special teams team rankings.  He never explains his formula in quantifying, but the results are not pretty.  

The Bills Specials Teamd rank 31st out of 32 teams.  The only worse team was Green Bay.  They were also tied for dead last in several categories like blocked kicks, return TD’s etc.

I knew that they were not good, but didn’t realize they were literally the worst in the league.  Hardly a resume booster for Danny Crossman

https://footballmaven.io/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselin-s-2018-nfl-special-teams-rankings-MbGJNF3fzUq4AiEDITayKQ/

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

apparently Belichick is HUGE on keeping ST as an integral part of the Pats success, but what does he know... har har har.....

If I remember Marv Levy's rein correctly, he too was also a huge proponent of special teams. It helped that eventually he got Steve Tasker.

He never explains his formula in quantifying, but the results are not pretty.  

It has been explained in the past.  He takes all the teams rankings in numerous categories (1-32; obviously 1-x back when there were <32 teams) & adds them up.  Team w/ the lowest cumulative points is the best, the most worst, etc.

Actually, if you read the article you linked, there's a better description there:

The Jets finished first in the NFL special-teams rankings compiled annually by Rick Gosselin for the last 39 years. The league’s 32 teams are ranked in 22 kicking-game categories and assigned points according to their standing – one for best, 32 for worst. The Jets compiled 231 points to finish 11 ½ points better than the runnerup New Orleans Saints.

Edited by eSJayDee
Found more info

47 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Not really....I think they were top 10 last year 

ST has been trash, outside of Moorman, for two decades, it's not even on the horizon to try to gain something positive from any aspect of it

Just now, row_33 said:

ST has been trash, outside of Moorman, for two decades, it's not even on the horizon to try to gain something positive from any aspect of it

Except of course for when they were ranked top ten last year.  

What does this comment serve to do?  Everyone agrees special teams needed to be fixed.  But that doesn't mean you need to rewrite history and ignore, for example, last years top ten ranking.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure we are scouting every punter at the senior bowl.  A great punter could be a huge impact to next season's success.  There's probably gonna be a lot of close games and our field position has to be better this year.  We can't rely on our defense being the only unit to provide our offense with good field position via a turnover.

15 hours ago, boater said:

If I remember Marv Levy's rein correctly, he too was also a huge proponent of special teams. It helped that eventually he got Steve Tasker.

You do. 

Marv calls them kicking teams because every "special teams" play involves a kick of some kind.  While a kicking teams coach with George Allen, he counted them up, and in a football game, 22% of all plays are kicking teams plays. That's why he emphasized it.  He signed stev e Tasker after being cut  by Houston because he was good at blocking punts.

When Marv was kicking teams coach in Washington, in the Super Bowl, it was his unit that scored the only TD for his team on a pick six off of a Garo Youprimian pass on a blocked FG.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pxMm_UdY4

it's not just some throw away part of the game.

It's critical and should be treated thAt way.

PS I got this info from Mary's book "Where Else Would You Rather Be".  A really good off season read it you haven't already read it.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2019 at 12:15 PM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I usually bristle at these rankings, but in this case I have no argument against.  At some point we were joking about Allen throwing purposeful interceptions on 4th to keep the ST unit off the field.

I wanted them to kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs. Giving the opponent the ball on the 40 was safer than trying to kick deep.