Do you ever donate blood?

Another Fan

I donated for years, then I stopped abruptly, so I could be available to donate directly to my spouse, who needed blood twice during her losing battle with HER 2.  I'm O neg.

During the transfusion process, the doctor, the two nurses, and I would watch her color change right in front of us.  I really thought she was gonna beat it.  I was insanely ill both times I did it though.  She rests in peace, 8/26/2017.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2019 at 6:55 PM, IslandBillsFan said:

I used to donate fairly regularly about a decade ago.  In recent years, I have donated less.  

This is unrelated to me donating less more recently, but there is an interesting podcast by RadioLab which explains the blood business.  Out of memory, many blood donation companies actually sell the blood to healthcare facilities.  Like most modern donations and charities it is a big business.  

Here is the link:  The donation portion starts a little after the 46 minute mark.  I may give it another listen to see if I am recalling this right.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/308403-blood

If I remember correctly, OSU Wexner Medical Center recently changed from Red Cross to an “outside” company for their blood supply.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Was a constant platelet donor until some health issues stopped me, and then I got a tattoo which defers for a year.  

We'll see how I'm doing in November...

Huh, I didn't know that a tattoo makes you ineligible. It's been more than a decade since I donated last but I guess I'm out for 50 weeks from today now.......