My Reading of the Tea Leaves - Kyle Will Come Back and Coach D-line

ndirish1978

11 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

What might make sense is an "intern" type position during training camp.  During the season, coaching is probably like a 100 hr/wk job.  Not something you take on when you wanna be w/ your family.  An intern position would only be for a few weeks & likely wouldn't require as much of a commitment during that time.

It's a really good question what the time commitment is at the lower eschelon assistant positions. 

I think for a perennially successful team like NE, it's probably "all the time you've got -> bring it" "you really need to sleep eat and poop that much?"

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

He’s most likely going to coach his young boys in flag football or something.  You just don’t see that many top players going immediately into coaching.

I don’t know.....too much pressure there. Those PARENTS are CRAZY!!!     

12 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

What might make sense is an "intern" type position during training camp.  During the season, coaching is probably like a 100 hr/wk job.  Not something you take on when you wanna be w/ your family.  An intern position would only be for a few weeks & likely wouldn't require as much of a commitment during that time.

i agree! 

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Completely agree on a training camp type intern position.!

The article quoted Kyle, "Ill be back in a couple of weeks for some house related stuff"  so sounds like he's already left town.  When he retired he commented one of the reasons was so he could spend more time with his kids, think he commented about currently often only being able to watch his kids game s via Facetime.  Maybe they use to do that before the kids reached school age, but as stated above would be difficult for the kids to attend two different school systems during the year.   As an aside the kids may enjoy that setup as go to school in NY i n the fall where school year starts later, then down south in the spring  where the year ends early. 

My guess is the family is here in western NY though training camp, then wife and kids head south.  Kyle likely flies down on  their offs days maybe twice a month, a few extra days on their bye week, wife and kids will come north on a couple trips, maybe spend all of Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks here. But in between they're apart.  Likely now that the kids are older they are complaining about making the trips north too as missing their own activities.

So can't imagine him taking anything close to a full time coaching position at this point other than maybe his kids HS team in a few years.

Agreed. And if you got the coin, you head south for the winter. Nothing unusual about that. Maybe in a few years when he gets bored, but probably not a full time coaching position any time soon.

I k

underatand as I did it for 10 years, but if you’re a good coach, you can manage the parents.  I never had one complaints in 9 years for both flag and tackle, and we were 149-11-3, and I played everyone.

im sure Kyle is a lot smarter than me, and can figure it out.  It was some of the best years of myself and my boys life.  We actually coached against Gruden, yes Coach Gruden twice in flag.  We were 1-1 but both were a one score game.  He was extremely gracious to myself, the parents, and my assistant coaches.

I believe that the Bills will have him on the payroll as an ambassador, just like they do with Kelly and Thomas.

Down the line 15 years, after his kids have grown up and gone off to college? It wouldn't shock me if Kyle became a coach.

Then again, it also wouldn't shock me if his competitive fire and still-awesome athleticism lead him to commit fully to golf. I'm not sure a lot of people realize just how good Williams actually is at golf. 

10 hours ago, eball said:

Just read the Buffalo News piece on Kyle's week at the Pro Bowl...his comments certainly lead one to believe he is interested in being a part of the organization in some capacity.

He's a born leader.  You know what I'd like to see?  He starts his coaching career in Buffalo as an assistant, rises through the ranks to become DC, and in about 10-12 years after McD retires with his five Lombardi trophies Kyle takes over as HC.

I'm down for this, where do I sign up for the whole scenario?

On 1/25/2019 at 12:08 AM, ndirish1978 said:

Lorax admits to wanting Kyle to come back to the team as a coach to "coach him up" and Kyle says they are "determining his value." I'd love to have this guy back in the building. Lorenzo signed a one-year deal, so I am hoping it happens for this next season.

I don’t know if it has more to do with Buffalo vs coaching.

To be a coach will mean he’s vulnerable to the status of McD and his success. If McD goes then Kyle may be done.

I think we are talking more about a front office job vs coaching. Along the line of player personnel....

Likr Assistant Director of Player Personnel under Dan Morgan....

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1