Was Mark Kelso the Best FS in Bills History?

PUNT750

48 minutes ago, row_33 said:

George Saimes gets the #1 nod on one website.

George Saimes was the best open field tackler in the AFL; still remember him taking down big FB's like Jim Nance easily around the ankles. But Tony Greene was truly a ball hawk and always seemed to involved in crucial turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Tony Greene was clutch bringing back long interception returns.

He sure was, once he had the ball he could move; always long returns!

2 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I thought that Kelso was fairly average as a FS by the time I started watching football

Bill Parcells called Kelso a very exploitable FS that created a big hole in the Bills Defense! Fairly average, absolutely and could never match up with big and fast wide outs like Irvin and would get run over by big FB's like Christian Okoye (Chiefs).

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, vorpma said:

George Saimes was the best open field tackler in the AFL; still remember him taking down big FB's like Jim Nance easily around the ankles. But Tony Greene was truly a ball hawk and always seemed to involved in crucial turnovers.

Thanks! 

this is the is the first I've heard of him, very impressive work, wish i was around to remember him

32 minutes ago, vorpma said:

He sure was, once he had the ball he could move; always long returns!

Bill Parcells called Kelso a very exploitable FS that created a big hole in the Bills Defense! Fairly average, absolutely and could never match up with big and fast wide outs like Irvin and would get run over by big FB's like Christian Okoye (Chiefs).

Kelso, big helmet, 5 yards too far back, softy.

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Thanks! 

this is the is the first I've heard of him, very impressive work, wish i was around to remember him

Kelso, big helmet, 5 yards too far back, softy.

Saimes also named as starting FS to the All Time AFL team along with Billy Shaw and Tom Sestak!

7 hours ago, jabu said:

I remember George Saimes who was good (and you just made me remember Hagood Clarke the strong safety) and had the benefit of playing on probably the best defense in Bills' history (McDole, Sestack, Dunaway, Tom "Tippy" Day on the DL - Stratton, Jacobs, Tracey LBs - Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, Clarke and Saimes DBs).

But for my money Tony Greene is the best free safety of all time for the Bills. I remember a game against the Jets, he had been injured, but at a crucial time in the game he went out on the field and because of his presence Namath called a time out. There was no play clock back then.

Greene ranks number 2 in Bills history in interceptions and interception return yards and he holds the record for the longest interception return in Bills history, 101-yards. He's 3rd in fumble recoveries, he was a real ball hawk!

Tony Greene was an undersized guy who got the most of his abilities. He was also more of a centerfielder, as has already been said. With that, he was a very good FS for Buffalo, but lacked Saimes toughness to me. It's good to see everyone talking about some very good to great Bills we've had the pleasure to watch over the years.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

???? That "60's" safety, George Saimes was indeed the complete package. A converted RB. Great FS. We have had a number of good ones, even Tony Greene comes to mind, but Saimes was the best. Shame is, far too many here never saw him play.

I wondered how deep into the thread I'd have to go to find Saimes.  

Saimes was a true free safety.  Strong got the tight end, free was free.  Saimes had GREAT instincts and was a fabulous tackler. Also a dangerous return man. 

He was probably the greatest the Bills ever had. 

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's tough to rate Bills free safeties.  Never saw George Saimes, but Tony Greene appears to have the edge in stats, and Greene was the best Bills FS I saw.  So Saimes is 2nd, Kelso at third and Henry Jones 4th.

I'd forgotten about Greene.  He and Saimes 1 and 2.   They were different eras.  Saimes was more dominant, league-wide, in his era.  

• Like (+1) 2

Kelso??

Not even close. Kazoo was loved by mildly casual observers because he had a lot of INTs. True Football fans know it’s because he played on a team with the Best Ever pass rushing DE and a slew of LBs adept at getting to the QB, who was typically trailing on the scoreboard in every game. 

Step up your game, OP.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Tony Greene only made on Pro Bowl. 

Hands down - George Saimes. 

Career highlights and awards

Do you remember when Greene took a pick 109 yards for a TD on a Saturday afternoon in Miami?  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

???? That "60's" safety, George Saimes was indeed the complete package. A converted RB. Great FS. We have had a number of good ones, even Tony Greene comes to mind, but Saimes was the best. Shame is, far too many here never saw him play.

Have to agree on George Saimes.  What I did like about Kelso is that he never quit and always hit hard.  I kinda liked his bubble helmet - reminded me of that cartoon character named Mr. Kazoo or something like that on one of the old cartoons from the 70's - maybe the Jetsons?