Was Mark Kelso the Best FS in Bills History?

PUNT750

Kelso's no better than 4th, I'd put George Saimes, Tony Greene and Kurt Schulz ahead of him. Freeman and Henry Jones were strong safeties. It actually has been a pretty strong position throughout team history, Kelso was good, J. Byrd was very good for a couple of years, Corey Graham and Troy Vincent were decent, Bill Simpson was good for a couple years (big INT in playoffs).

Edited by jwhit34
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Kelso's no better than 4th, I'd put George Saimes, Tony Greene and Kurt Schulz ahead of him. Freeman and Henry Jones were strong safeties. It actually has been a pretty strong position throughout team history, Kelso was good, J. Byrd was very good for a couple of years, Corey Graham and Troy Vincent were decent, Bill Simpson was good for a couple years (big INT in playoffs).

Agreed.  I loved the Bills in my HS and college years. Tony Greene twice had 9 picks.  Pro bowl appearance and 1st team all pro selection.  Bright light on some bad teams.  

His 37 picks at FS might be record for position for Bills

Btw, Jeff Nixon had 11 picks in his first 23 games as a Bills FS in 79-80 before suffering a career ending knee injury.   Who knows what he might have done so felt need to mention him here.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not saying he’s the best but I think Kurt Shulz has always been underrated. A guy that started 5 straight seasons on the really good defenses of the mid to late 90’s and had 2 different 6 int seasons in that span. 

Heck, the year after he left he had a 7int season in just 11 games for Detroit. 

3 hours ago, jabu said:

I remember George Saimes who was good (and you just made me remember Hagood Clarke the strong safety) and had the benefit of playing on probably the best defense in Bills' history (McDole, Sestack, Dunaway, Tom "Tippy" Day on the DL - Stratton, Jacobs, Tracey LBs - Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, Clarke and Saimes DBs).

But for my money Tony Greene is the best free safety of all time for the Bills. I remember a game against the Jets, he had been injured, but at a crucial time in the game he went out on the field and because of his presence Namath called a time out. There was no play clock back then.

Greene ranks number 2 in Bills history in interceptions and interception return yards and he holds the record for the longest interception return in Bills history, 101-yards. He's 3rd in fumble recoveries, he was a real ball hawk!

I had a football signed by all the guys in your first paragraph. I played with until all the autographs were gone.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

it may be unfair but it always seemed Kelso was surrendering 3-5 needless yards every time he lined up...

Aside from his rant during the Miami game this year, it seems like Kelso gives up 30-50 useless words on every play on the Bills broadcasts.  “Turn down the sound...and leave the radio off, too.”

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I wish some folks here would have been around to see the old AFL guys.  There were a lot of really talented players on that team.

Not only the Bills but the AFL throughout its ten years!

• Like (+1) 1

Tony Greene only made on Pro Bowl. 

Hands down - George Saimes. 

Career highlights and awards
Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I was just kid, preteen years and younger, but I remember him being one of the weak links on that defense.  Like dingus said Henry Jones was pretty good.

This is the way I saw it too. They made such a big deal out of the fact that he could run backwards faster than most could run forwards, but it seemed like he was always getting burned.