Was Mark Kelso the Best FS in Bills History?

PUNT750

He played 99 games for the Bills including the 4 year Super Bowl Run.  From 1987 through 1989 he had 19 interceptions and a total of 30 in his 8 year career with the Bills.  He never made a Pro-Bowl Team, had no Super-Bowl interceptions and was ridiculed for wearing his "pro-cap", bubble  helmet. 

He played the Free Safety position conservatively as Marv and Defensive Co-Coordinator swizzle stick Walt Corey designed it.

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

I was just kid, preteen years and younger, but I remember him being one of the weak links on that defense.  Like dingus said Henry Jones was pretty good.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

???? That "60's" safety, George Saimes was indeed the complete package. A converted RB. Great FS. We have had a number of good ones, even Tony Greene comes to mind, but Saimes was the best. Shame is, far too many here never saw him play.

• Like (+1) 16

15 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

???? That "60's" safety, George Saimes was indeed the complete package. A converted RB. Great FS. We have had a number of good ones, even Tony Greene comes to mind, but Saimes was the best. Shame is, far too many here never saw him play.

Way before my time, but I actually met him one time.

My dad and I went to a draft tailgating party at the HOF and he and Jack Youngblood were there giving speeches. Youngblood talking his draft and seeing his name come over a fax machine, and then Saimes talking about his time as a scout. Seemed nice, but I only spoke to him for a minute and I was a dumb teenager who was too worried about whether or not Brian Orakpo would fall to us at 11.... oh the lesson I learned that day.

25 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

You nailed it

• Like (+1) 1

I remember George Saimes who was good (and you just made me remember Hagood Clarke the strong safety) and had the benefit of playing on probably the best defense in Bills' history (McDole, Sestack, Dunaway, Tom "Tippy" Day on the DL - Stratton, Jacobs, Tracey LBs - Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, Clarke and Saimes DBs).

But for my money Tony Greene is the best free safety of all time for the Bills. I remember a game against the Jets, he had been injured, but at a crucial time in the game he went out on the field and because of his presence Namath called a time out. There was no play clock back then.

Greene ranks number 2 in Bills history in interceptions and interception return yards and he holds the record for the longest interception return in Bills history, 101-yards. He's 3rd in fumble recoveries, he was a real ball hawk!

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, jabu said:

I remember George Saimes who was good (and you just made me remember Hagood Clarke the strong safety) and had the benefit of playing on probably the best defense in Bills' history (McDole, Sestack, Dunaway, Tom "Tippy" Day on the DL - Stratton, Jacobs, Tracey LBs - Butch Byrd, Booker Edgerson, Clarke and Saimes DBs).

But for my money Tony Greene is the best free safety of all time for the Bills. I remember a game against the Jets, he had been injured, but at a crucial time in the game he went out on the field and because of his presence Namath called a time out. There was no play clock back then.

Greene ranks number 2 in Bills history in interceptions and interception return yards and he holds the record for the longest interception return in Bills history, 101-yards. He's 3rd in fumble recoveries, he was a real ball hawk!

Good post, I remember the game Namath had to call a timeout; initially I would have gone with Saimes but you won me over to Tony Greene.