Senior Bowl- Day 3 A Bills fan first hand take

CEN-CAL17

11 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@1ZAYDAY1

Great post.

No offense to Anthony Johnson, but I found your review of him to be absolute spot on to what I saw during the season.

I left more impressed by Tyre Brady WR Marshall. Almost same height, Johnson is a little bigger. But speed and quickness, in and out of cut. Brady easily. Greg Jennings was another comparable WR. But he too looked lighter on his feet and Quicker than Johnson. All 3 of those guys were roughly the same size. Johnson being the heaviest. No muscle tone like the others though, not as quick, didn’t seem as fast. I could be wrong, combine in a month.

11 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Is Dalton Risner a good enough prospect to take at #9?  Is there a worry that they could trade down to say 15, and another team takes him by the time the Bills pick?

My opinion #9 would be too high. I think the sweet spot is roughly #20.

But if Washington traded up and we got 15, Risner and extra picks I wouldn’t be upset. No I don’t see any team taking him between 9-15. But you never know, nobody saw Ragnow going 20 or Kolton Miller going 15.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, wppete said:

Great stuff!!!

I thought T, Risner looked like a stud today. Also G, Lindstrom looked good. Would love to End up with Both of them if possible.

Would love Risner - guy looked to be able to handle Center well, seemingly including the cerebral level of adjustments. Hard to say for certain only in practice environments, but still liked what I saw. He's the kind of draft pick that can perfectly complement any kind of FA results; if we end up with two tackles or interior and tackle, he could contend for Center but if we pick up a Center and maybe another guy, he could still hold the edge. We lost way too many battles up front to not have his attitude and aggressiveness help us in the run game with Dawkins and potentially Teller.

17 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Would love Risner - guy looked to be able to handle Center well, seemingly including the cerebral level of adjustments. Hard to say for certain only in practice environments, but still liked what I saw. He's the kind of draft pick that can perfectly complement any kind of FA results; if we end up with two tackles or interior and tackle, he could contend for Center but if we pick up a Center and maybe another guy, he could still hold the edge. We lost way too many battles up front to not have his attitude and aggressiveness help us in the run game with Dawkins and potentially Teller.

Did you go to the Senior Bowl? 

Risner could make things easier for any Oline coach. OL coach Bobby Johnson was on the field in the end zone for the 1 on 1s.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Did you go to the Senior Bowl? 

Risner could make things easier for any Oline coach. OL coach Bobby Johnson was on the field in the end zone for the 1 on 1s.

Was visiting family friends in Pensacola and drove over yesterday to watch - honestly, I knew next to nothing about Risner prior to a couple of days ago, except for name recognition in some draft board discussions. But after hearing about his interest in the Bills I watched a couple of his highlights and games where I could online from this past year, and made a point to look yesterday. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely liked what I saw from a skill and technical standpoint.

The thing that had me so high on this guy, aside from his potentially genuine interest to play in Buffalo and demonstrated skillset, was his versatility. In a year where we have multiple holes along the OL, and no certainty or guarantees in FA - this is the kind of OL talent that could immediately impact our needs as well as address a value simultaneously. Kid plays physically aggressive, but smart - I'm curious how that may translate to the NFL, but my hopes are that Bobby was also keen on him and paying attention. Tricky part is he's gaining traction and rising in graded value over the past week or so apparently, so I wonder where he might fall come draft day.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

Risner is my draft crush this year. Hope he is a Bill.

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

Is Dalton Risner a good enough prospect to take at #9?  Is there a worry that they could trade down to say 15, and another team takes him by the time the Bills pick?

I hope so, I haven’t seen him projected that high though.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, billspro said:

Risner is my draft crush this year. Hope he is a Bill.

I hope so, I haven’t seen him projected that high though.

Feel as though he's a growing draft crush for many beyond just us, too. I agree with zayday that his value is mid to late first when considering the pool context.

It likely goes one of two ways: one, there are too many teams looking to protect young QB investments that in a year like this he could go as high as 12-15; almost an extension of the "QB Reach" due to sheer position value, teams that capitalized on last year's QB class or others with a failing OL will likely fall into a similar thread for need of OL talent (obviously dependent on FA outcomes). Or two, as I don't believe he would warrant a trade up by any team, he would more likely become a late round target for a team that traded down or is currently sitting in the 20-32 range. The latter being more likely to me. But weirder things have happened, he could drop into the second or later for all we know. 

Edited by ctk232

I'm guessingyou would avoid putting Risner at left tackle.  That being the case, Buffalo would face a fair amount of criticism if they took him at #9 overall.  Still, if they like him that much, and don't mind the criticism, people will forget where he was taken if he nails down a spot on the o-line for the next decade plud.

I was reading something the other day about how Risner said he'd love to play for Buffalo and that he and Harry Phillips are good friends...I'd love to see Buffalo trade back into the teens and take Risner and then get Deebo in the 2nd.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

I was reading something the other day about how Risner said he'd love to play for Buffalo and that he and Harry Phillips are good friends...I'd love to see Buffalo trade back into the teens and take Risner and then get Deebo in the 2nd.

Here is the article:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/01/senior-bowl-2019-why-kansas-state-ot-dalton-risner-would-love-to-play-for-bills.html

He sure looks and sounds like a Buffalo Bill.

Fits in at Right Tackle perfectly. I would like us to get a Guard in the 3rd or 4th round also.

Edited by wppete
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Based on game tape of Montez Sweat (he of 35 inch arms fame) vs. Risner, I am not so sold on Risner (though I love his attitude). If we like Risner so much, we should be even higher on Sweat. That said, I do like Risner as our third round pick.

Well Here’s the thing. Risner will be matched up against Sweat early in the game. 

I’d bet the first series the North has the ball it will be Risner vs Sweat.

Just now, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Well Here’s the thing. Risner will be matched up against Sweat early in the game. 

I’d bet the first series the North has the ball it will be Risner vs Sweat.

Let us hope so. Risner also had problems against another long armed DL - I forget who that was but it will come to me.

This mock draft has Dalton Risner going to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the 1st Round - Pick # 6.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-ed-oliver-to-browns-dwayne-haskins-is-broncos-qb-in-waiting/

6. Jacksonville Jaguars

Dalton Risner, OT, Kansas State. Can't see Doug Marrone and Tom Coughlin hitching their old-school wagon to a rookie quarterback ... from this draft class. A Bortles replacement will be found in free agency or via a trade. (Maybe Joe Flacco?) Who knows? This just seems like a pick the current Jaguars' decision-makers would make, especially with an emphasis on the run game and the state of the club's offensive line. 

21 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Dalton Risner OT K State- 

during warmups jumped in at Center with Daniel Jones/Ryan Finley. Big Solid Dude, arm length is there. Biggest Center, only played center on warmups. Other centers were McCoy of Texas A&M, Garrett Bradbury of N.C. State and Michael Deiter Wisconsin. Risner has only 1 speed, always aggressive, he plays violent. Good movement looks coordinated. Plays under control, stays over his pads, never reaches. 1 play Down blocked on Cominsky open huge hole with initial punch. Was paired up against Zach Allen most the day. Allen was owned by Risner all day, which lead to Allen getting frustrated and a fight between two broke out. Zach Allen started it. Risner wasn’t going to back down. Risner is kind of nasty. The guy the gets the last shove as the whistle blows every play. He was very vocal. Constantly yelling out in support of his fellow Olinemen, “Good Shiz Chris (Lindstrom) Helll yeah.” Him and Lindstrom were 2 peas in a pod. Risner sounds and acted like a leader, verbally out loud pumping up his OL when doing good, pumping his fist after a good run, showing intensity after flooring someone. Dalton took on Wren and dominated him when Gruden called the team together for a 1 on 1 and paired the two against each other. Risner ran up to Gruden in excitement, don’t know exactly what he said but it was like a “I got this”...

My Day 3 MVP was Dalton Risner hands down. Dude plays with intensity. He’s vocal, gets excited, cheers on his teammates, he’s scrappy/nasty at times and doesn’t backdown. I’m telling you, he’s solid. Honestly I know he could play C or G as well. If he was Center he’d probably be the best center in the draft. Center is the spot you want a vocal leader, Captain type brawler. That’s Dalton. But he plays RT at a high level as well. Everyone afterwards wanted to talk to this kid. No way he makes it past 20. He’s got all the intangibles you look for that makes a winner

Thanks for taking the time to write up this report. Excellent stuff.

As I mentioned in another thread, Risner is my #1 draft crush this year. He just has "process" written all over him.

I've read that Risner is technically very good but struggles with speed rushers. Very similar to Jonah Williams based on that description. I wouldn't take either in the 1st. If we trade down to the bottom of the 1st then I could see it. If not I just don't see the value of taking an OL at 9th overall.