NFL.com’s Unsung Heroes of 2018: Matt Milano, Bills

YoloinOhio

All-Pros, Pro Bowlers and award winners aren't the only players who make an impact in the NFL. Below, you'll find one unsung hero -- someone who stepped out of the shadows to play a pivotal role -- for each team in the AFC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001012619/article/unsung-heroes-in-the-afc-chris-jones-tyler-boyd-step-up

BUFFALO BILLS: Matt Milano, linebacker. Every time I watched the Bills in 2018, I couldn't help but notice how effective their defense was, especially when No. 58 was on the field. The former fifth-round pick didn't have freakish athleticism or star power, but he was consistently excellent. Around The NFL's Chris Wesseling characterized him perfectly during a midseason podcast: Luke Kuechly Lite. The second-year pro landed on injured reserve after breaking his leg in Week 14, and his absence was noticeable the rest of the way. As the heart and soul of the Buffalo defense, he should receive much more love going forward.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No question that Milano was always wherever the ball was the entire season.  I think Edmonds will take a big step forward next season with a year of experience under his belt and some good coaching, and the Bills will have one of the best linebacking duos in the league.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

Milano was the best player on the Bills defense this season. Yep, I said it and fully believe it. He catches hell from the old school types for occasionally being out of position and not holding up at the point of attack like a Reggie freakin Ragland, but all he does is make plays. Like a defensive Cris Carter.?

• Thank you (+1) 3

He played well.  I don't think he was consistency excellent.  My take is they should draft a pass rushing OLB in first two rounds.  Start Milano, Edmonds, and the rookie in the base 4-3. The nickel package would start as Milano and Edmonds as the two linebackers, with Lorax, Shaq, and the rookie OLB getting snaps as a pass rusher.  

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Milano was the best player on the Bills defense this season. Yep, I said it and fully believe it. He catches hell from the old school types for occasionally being out of position and not holding up at the point of attack like a Reggie freakin Ragland, but all he does is make plays. Like a defensive Cris Carter.?

If you have watched Reggie this year he doesn't even do that. Beyond being a warm body I am not sure what he does do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

While I don’t believe he was the best player on the Bills D this season but you’re right, all he does is make plays.  Kids gonna get paid in 2 years.  

6 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Is Milano’s injury a concern? I know it is a broken leg, but it was ugly.

Will be back for minicamp per McD. It was a break of the fibula. Not exactly the same as Bodine’s but similar recovery time. He had surgery on 12/10. It’s usually 8 weeks in a cast and 2-3 months recovery on the ligaments, which I think were involved based on how his foot was pointing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Finding a player with Milano’s talent and production in the 5th round is how you build a winner. 

...BINGO!......the 5th delivers again (Meatball was a 5th)......this kid seemed a bit smallish but he plays LARGE.......Johnson (4th), Wallace (UDFA), Foster(UDFA) are other examples of striking it rich later.....

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If you have watched Reggie this year he doesn't even do that. Beyond being a warm body I am not sure what he does do. 

What helped out Milano was having Star Latul in front of him and giving him space to roam and pursue the ball.  

McDermott showed adroitness in getting players who fit his scheme. Poyer, Hyde, White and the defensive backfield are players who match his system. There is some thought given as to what players to pursue in free agency and through the draft. 

On defense McDermott knows what he is doing. Let's hope that that same smart and coherent thinking is also used on the offensive side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What helped out Milano was having Star Latul in front of him and giving him space to roam and pursue the ball.  

McDermott showed adroitness in getting players who fit his scheme. Poyer, Hyde, White and the defensive backfield are players who match his system. There is some thought given as to what players to pursue in free agency and through the draft. 

On defense McDermott knows what he is doing. Let's hope that that same smart and coherent thinking is also used on the offensive side of the ball. 

I am less convinced that Star had any significant impact on Milano. Milano is just a darn good football player. Star? He's okay.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...BINGO!......the 5th delivers again (Meatball was a 5th)......this kid seemed a bit smallish but he plays LARGE.......Johnson (4th), Wallace (UDFA), Foster(UDFA) are other examples of striking it rich later.....

And we got him with a pick from the Patriots, that alone makes him jersey worthy.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am less convinced that Star had any significant impact on Milano. Milano is just a darn good football player. Star? He's okay.

I'm not taking away anything from Milano. His football instincts are stupendous. I disagree with you your judgment on Star. You don't assess Star by his stats so much as what he does for the unit. He plugs the middle and creates a jam so little gets behind him. Thus the smallish LB can be unfettered to chase the play. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm not taking away anything from Milano. His football instincts are stupendous. I disagree with you your judgment on Star. You don't assess Star by his stats so much as what he does for the unit. He plugs the middle and creates a jam so little gets behind him. Thus the smallish LB can be unfettered to chase the play. 

I am not judging him by stats. I know what Star's job is. I just think he is only okay at it.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He played well.  I don't think he was consistency excellent.  My take is they should draft a pass rushing OLB in first two rounds.  Start Milano, Edmonds, and the rookie in the base 4-3. The nickel package would start as Milano and Edmonds as the two linebackers, with Lorax, Shaq, and the rookie OLB getting snaps as a pass rusher.  

NFL teams play a base defense something like 20% of snaps.  The Bills last year did so on 12% of snaps.  The "base" defense is not really a thing anymore. 

• Thank you (+1) 1