Taking on Blake bortles contract?????

Heff

If Buffalo misses out on their prize FA targets I wouldn't hate it.  If Jax is as cap scrap as I assume it's a logical was to eat some cap space and get a pick out of it.  Basically, cut him and eat the cap hit for a day 2 pick.  

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Yeah...

I mean with a field that includes a guy with a 52.8% completion percentage, rushes more than a RB, threw more INT's than TD's, and had a 67.9 Passer Rating (52.3 QBR), along with greats like Matt Barkley & Derek Anderson, you're absolutely right!

Stop the search everyone! The Bills have finally made it! How could we possibly get any better than that?

Right, because stats mean everything and Bortles is such a great QB.  How could one think otherwise?  ;)

This is NOT my field of expertise (and I’m still trying to determine exactly what that is), but if you can trade cap space you won’t be using for picks to get young guys who can help, is there a problem with that? Can you cut him right away?  I’m sure it’s more complicated than I get at first glance. Is there a succinct clarification? 

It's a very interesting topic, but the Jags would only get $11M of cap relief in 2019. I certainly don't think any team would part with a 2nd round pick for that. Then again the Jags financials are a complete mess and they will be forced to cut Dareus and Gipson this offseason and they will still be in rough shape, but I don't think they are that desperate yet.

But yeah, that would be an incredible move for us if that scenario arises.

Edit: Ahh never mind, they can simply release him post June 1st and realize a cap savings of $9.5M, which means the Osweiler plan is likely D.O.A.

Edited by QCity

6 hours ago, Augie said:

This is NOT my field of expertise (and I’m still trying to determine exactly what that is), but if you can trade cap space you won’t be using for picks to get young guys who can help, is there a problem with that? Can you cut him right away?  I’m sure it’s more complicated than I get at first glance. Is there a succinct clarification? 

Yeah, it's complex and interesting.

The original post was a bit hard to read and a bit misleading.

From what I can figure out of Spotrac, $6.5 mill of his 2019 salary is guaranteed, so if we picked him up, we would be responsible for that guaranteed money. Jax is scheduled right now to have $16.5 mill of dead money if they cut him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/blake-bortles-14412/

Trading him to us would I think save them only that $6.5 mill. The other $10 mill (of Jax dead money) is just the amortization of the signing bonus they paid him, and that can't be transferred to any other team in any way.

I may be missing something here but I think that's all they would save by trading him to us, $6.5 mill. And I can't see them giving much in picks to save that little. A 7th rounder maybe, if they're right up against the cap and desperate?

And yeah, we could cut him right away if we traded for him. This would mean we wouldn't have to pay anymore than the $6.5 mill. His unguaranteed salary is $16 mill, so if you kept him for the season he would cost another $9.5 mill. Can't imagine them paying that for Blake Bortles.

If I've missed something here, could somebody tell me?

EDIT: Ah, I see Hapless agrees with me about it being only $6.5 mill saved for Jax. I feel a bit safer in the opinion now.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

It's an interesting thought, but if the team that gets him is only on the hook for $6.5 mil they might be able to find a team with an uncertain QB situation that would trade a late round pick for him straight up. Someone might see him as a viable b/u or reclamation project.

Not quite. 

The team that gets him is only on the hook for $6.5 mill ... if they cut him before the first game. If they keep him, they start paying the whole $16 mill of his 2019 salary.

I don't think it's likely somebody would pay that, especially as Bortles will likely be an FA one way or the other well before the season.

11 hours ago, Heff said:

Long time reader first time topic poster.  I was wondering if we could pull a Cleveland move and obsorb Blake Bortles contract for a second rd pick, plus a fifth?

so essentially , your buying a 2nd round pick for $6.5 million that would be under team control for at least 4 years at $2 mil/yr.

you would have to eat $6.5 or keep bortles as a backup (who sucks)  AND  pay $2 mil/yr for an early 2nd round.

total of $14.5 mil over 4 years for a 2nd round draft choice averages $3.6 mil/yr

the bills signed free agent Jordan Poyer to a 4 year, $13,000,000 contract.

I don't want bortles as a backup and I would rather use that money towards a somewhat known free agent vs the risk of a unknown rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, White Linen said:

That's an awful lot to pay.   You can sign a free agent that would be better than that second round pick for the Bortles money. 

I would make this trade in a heartbeat. Were not spending all our cap anyways. Trade for him and cut him that gives us dead cap money that would be available in 2020. 

13 hours ago, Heff said:

Long time reader first time topic poster.  I was wondering if we could pull a Cleveland move and obsorb Blake Bortles contract for a second rd pick, plus a fifth?

Thats actually an interesting proposition. 

How much will Jacksonville have in dead cap if he’s cut?

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Thats actually an interesting proposition. 

How much will Jacksonville have in dead cap if he’s cut?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/consequences-of-blake-bortles-contract-depend-on-his-2019-destination/

If the contract is large enough, the money might better be spent on a couple of solid free agents.  If the contract is more modest, the Jags will probably eat the contract themselves.  Spotrac says the dead cap money tied up with Bortales would be 16,500,000 in 2019, presuming, I imagine he's cut before June 1.  I think Buffalo could sign a couple of nice free agents at 8 million apiece.  

Who ever was the one to agree or make the recommendation to resign Bortles to that kind of contract was as foolish as the guy that offered the contract to Fitz when he was in B/lo .

I hope that this new regime was watching & learned to stay clear of any such thought of such things as what you are asking ...

After reading the reactions on the first page, do half of the fans on the board not understand second level thinking?  Creative post.  But I agree with the poster (Buffalover4life) who pointed out the Bills are a little further along than Cleveland, when they paid money for Houston's 2nd round pick.   

9 hours ago, papazoid said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/consequences-of-blake-bortles-contract-depend-on-his-2019-destination/

Link no worky 

On a mobile and too lazy to make it work 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/07/consequences-of-blake-bortles-contract-depend-on-his-2019-destination/amp/

Well it was an easier google search