Jags to release TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

YoloinOhio

....cue up the "should we bring him in" tape as the Pack contemplates dumping Jimmy Graham............

The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes the Packers could release Jimmy Graham this offseason.

Graham signed a three-year, $30 million deal last offseason. He disappointed his first year in Green Bay, scoring just two touchdowns despite playing all 16 games. Releasing Graham would save $5.3 million.
Jan 25 - 5:14 PM

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....cue up the "should we bring him in" tape as the Pack contemplates dumping Jimmy Graham............

The Green Bay Press-Gazette believes the Packers could release Jimmy Graham this offseason.

Graham signed a three-year, $30 million deal last offseason. He disappointed his first year in Green Bay, scoring just two touchdowns despite playing all 16 games. Releasing Graham would save $5.3 million.
Jan 25 - 5:14 PM

Wow! Was just going to post this from PFT.  

Yes, would rather take a gamble on Graham over ASJ. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, YodaMan79 said:

Low risk, high reward.  Didn't he have a two TDs taken away on catch rule interpretations a couple of years ago?  I remember him being pretty talented in space.  I think they should get this guy in the building. 

This is easy to say without specifics.  Would you give him a large signing bonus?  How much?  

Are you willing to eat the signing bonus if cut?

On 1/24/2019 at 7:40 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I remember back in 2010 when the Patriots drafted Gronk in the 2nd and Hernandez in the 4th.  I thought they were crazy. Who the hell needs two tight ends?  They ended up being dominant.  Imagine if Hernandez wasn’t a dufus and was still playing in New England???

This year’s draft is deep in TE talent and we have 10 draft picks.  A great tight end can be the cornerstone of an entire receiving corps in today’s NFL. Just look at Gronk, Ertz, Kelcy, and Kittle.  I wouldn’t be upset to see the Bills grab two tight ends in the draft this year with a lot of upside.

I'm with you.    A TE like T.J. Hockenson from Iowa would address two major problems--the intermediate passing game and and the running game.   TE's are involved in the play on a much higher percentage of snaps than deep threat WRs and would be a great security blanket for Allen.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/13/draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-drew-lock-daniel-jones

T.J. HOCKENSON, TE, IOWA

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 250 pounds
An athletic tight end who also blocks people? It’s true! Hockenson has a blend of athleticism and physicality rarely seen in collegiate tight ends. He’s going to be a plus in the run game, and he’s a pass-catching threat too, a fluid mover with the ability to create separation and tough to bring down with the ball in his hands.

When's the last time we had a TE who could do this:  

https://streamable.com/4s44j

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'm with you.    A TE like T.J. Hockenson from Iowa would address two major problems--the intermediate passing game and and the running game.   TE's are involved in the play on a much higher percentage of snaps than deep threat WRs and would be a great security blanket for Allen.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/13/draft-big-board-rankings-nick-bosa-dwayne-haskins-kyler-murray-drew-lock-daniel-jones

T.J. HOCKENSON, TE, IOWA

An athletic tight end who also blocks people? It’s true! Hockenson has a blend of athleticism and physicality rarely seen in collegiate tight ends. He’s going to be a plus in the run game, and he’s a pass-catching threat too, a fluid mover with the ability to create separation and tough to bring down with the ball in his hands.

I would be very happy with him, helps both the passing and run game. Best of both.

On January 24, 2019 at 4:32 PM, ndirish1978 said:

It's a pretty good draft for TEs and he's coming off a core injury, I'd pass. His stats are underwhelming. 350 yds and 3-4 tds per season for 4M?

Those numbers would have made him the Bills #1 TE...for less money.

Man, this is going to be a very clogged up message board if we have a thread about ever cap casualty cut across the NFL this year.  

Not very interested.  There are better TE's available in FA (and via trade like maybe Brate), and even better ones in the draft.  Just like Terrence Williams...there are better players available via FA, Trade, and Draft.  So not very interested in him either.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2019 at 12:36 PM, Doc said:

He's never had more than 357 yards receiving or 4 TD's.  He had 50 catches last year but a 7.1 YPR.  At best I'd sign him to a minimum contract with no guarantees but I think he's shown what he's worth and it's not much.

So he actually can catch.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Man, this is going to be a very clogged up message board if we have a thread about ever cap casualty cut across the NFL this year.  

Not interested.  There are better TE's available in FA (and via trade like maybe Brate), and even better ones in the draft.  Just like Terrence Williams...who cares, there are better players available via FA, Trade, and Draft.  So pass on him too.  

Whos available via trade?

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

T.J. HOCKENSON, TE, IOWA

I feel like the first half is a bit overstated. Taking the safeties out of the box is a major impact on the run game and giving Allen a threat at the level he likes to pass is great. There’s a reason a good WR gets so much more than even an elite TE.

also, I remember thinking that a TE would help Taylor throw to the middle of the field. In hindsight spending money to play to your qbs strengths seems most appealing.

Edited by NoSaint

36 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

So he actually can catch.

Whos available via trade?

You missed the parentheses where I said Brate as in Cameron Brate of the Bucs.  He is rumored to be available via trade and could be a cap cut given they have OJ Howard already.  I would love to bring in Brate.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

Only Jason Croom is under contract for the Bills at TE.  Clay is gone, of course.  Logan Thomas is a restricted free agent.  Given his difficulty blocking and his meager catch total, it's hard to imagine Buffalo giving him a tender offer.  That means it's likely that even if Buffalo drafts a TE, they will be looking in free agency.  I think the Bills might take a look at Austin Sefarian-Jenkins.  The cost will determine their level of interest.  Physically, he's very similar to Logan Thomas.  He's much more accomplished as a tight end though.  If Sefarian-Jenkins is looking for a big payday, he's not going to get it from Buffalo, but if he's willing to sign a more modest kind of prove it deal, I could see it happening.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I feel like the first half is a bit overstated. Taking the safeties out of the box is a major impact on the run game and giving Allen a threat at the level he likes to pass is great. There’s a reason a good WR gets so much more than even an elite TE.

also, I remember thinking that a TE would help Taylor throw to the middle of the field. In hindsight spending money to play to your qbs strengths seems most appealing.

Today's NFL is about 2.5 second releases and moving the chains.  The days of Raider-type long ball are long gone     Having a solid running game is also an immeasuable help any QB, including Allen.  A top notch TE adds value to both of those concepts, IMO...

• Like (+1) 1

WOW that contract for Bortles was like the BS contract the Bills gave Fitz ! What are these guys thinking when they do these kind of contracts don't they take the past into consideration at all ?

I mean it's only one part of the season that was decent on Fitz situation & Bortles wasn't off the charts good he was just decent he sure wasn't any Joe Montanna or any thing yet they give him a contract worth all that money & now they are screwed because like Fitz went back to his old self !

First off the people that gave the contract should be fired for being that foolish in both instances which i think the Bills did just that, even though Fitz is a great guy & Bortles may be too they need to take the past into consideration & at least make these contract incentive laden so they don't get burnt like they are which is part of the reason why a good or decent play like Jenkins has to be let go .

Who knows i hope because of other GM's stupidity the Bills might t be able to pick up a couple of these guys that could help them out for not a lot of money because our GM is smarter than theirs !! 

On 1/24/2019 at 7:40 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

I remember back in 2010 when the Patriots drafted Gronk in the 2nd and Hernandez in the 4th.  I thought they were crazy. Who the hell needs two tight ends?  They ended up being dominant.  Imagine if Hernandez wasn’t a dufus and was still playing in New England???

This year’s draft is deep in TE talent and we have 10 draft picks.  A great tight end can be the cornerstone of an entire receiving corps in today’s NFL. Just look at Gronk, Ertz, Kelcy, and Kittle.  I wouldn’t be upset to see the Bills grab two tight ends in the draft this year with a lot of upside.

A dufus? He is a murderer...just a little more serious than that...