Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

I think we need to look at this from a different angle.  At this point, who hasn't been crowned as the favorite for the job?  I love how tight lipped this organization is with this stuff now.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went with someone who has barely been mentioned, if at all... anything to expose the "monkey throwing crap at a dartboard" approach to all of these media reports.

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

A soccer GM?  Really?  Was Hank Haney interviewed?

He’s not a soccer GM. He’s a life long career hockey guy who took a job with a soccer club for a few years because his good friend was also good friends with the new owner of Southampton. She was Swedish and really admired the job he did with the Swedish national team, and so she arranged to meet him through his friend and they both asked him to come in and change the culture of a struggling Southampton club. He said he saw it as a new challenge and wanted to take it on to help him to continue growing as a leader.

Outside of his few few years there, he was a hockey player and then a coach from 1991-2016. 

He is actuslly one one of the more respected hockey minds out there, and is considered an innovator (he’s real big on analytics). He’s also won whenever he’s been. 

NHL teams have been after him for years. We would be damn lucky to actually land him (IMO anyway). 

Krueger or Tippett would both be big gets for Botterill. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He is actuslly one one of the more respected hockey minds out there, and is considered an innovator (he’s real big on analytics). He’s also won whenever he’s been.

Well, except the very brief stay in Edmonton.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, shrader said:

Well, except the very brief stay in Edmonton.

Yep. 

But that was edmonton when Craig Mactavish was their GM. He’s up there as far as incompetent GM’s go... 

and Edmonton, under Krueger, finished 3rd in their division. They had finished last in the division for 3 years before that (their best finish was 2nd last in their division in the 6 years before Krueger got there), and finished last in their division for 3 straight years after he left, too. The 3 years before Krueger came on board, the Oilers were 30th, 29th and 30th in the NHL (out of 30 teams). 

That edmonton roster all had better goals-above-replacement numbers under Krueger then after he left. He even had Nial Yakupov looking like a budding star in his only year there (Yakupov’s only really good NHL season). 

Edmonton fans and media have nothing but good things to say about him and think he was wrongfully fired by a new GM that wanted his guy. They would all take him back in a heartbeat from what I’ve seen written. 

Edited by BillsFan4

We are already down 2 defenseman to start next season (Bogosian and now Pilut).

Best wishes on a speedy recovery Pilut! Wonder if it’s something he played through? It would explain why he was shying away from contact, and why it was so easy to get him off his game with a few big hits. 

17 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

People can be negative about the Pegulas because the results have been pretty bad...but they kept the teams in Buffalo, have definitely not been afraid to spend money to upgrade facilities, and made changes that have players in both sports talking positively about Buffalo. 

I don't get the ragging on the Pegulas.  All we ever wanted was owners who would keep the team in Buffalo and be willing to spend money...............What else are owners supposed to do?  They hired who they thought were good football and hockey people, and most people agreed at the times. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't get the ragging on the Pegulas.  All we ever wanted was owners who would keep the team in Buffalo and be willing to spend money...............What else are owners supposed to do?  They hired who they thought were good football and hockey people, and most people agreed at the times. 

I see this point made whenever people get critical of the Pegulas.... Stability and willingness to spend are great.  So is the investment in the facilities and the city of Buffalo.  The family is likable.  I root for them.  The value of having deep pocketed owners who are committed to the area and want to win isnt lost on me (but it makes the failures frustrating because there is so much potential).

On the other hand, their handling of the on-ice Sabres has been nothing short of a complete failure.  They have taken a once proud franchise and made it completely irrelevant on their watch.  The wrong decision has been made at nearly every juncture.  They have rejected bringing in experienced help at the top of the organization and it has been a dysfunctional and disjointed mess.  I was against Botterill as GM, as I felt (and still feel), they didn't need to roll the dice on a 1st time GM.  The Pegulas have needed help from day 1.

That kind of goes for the Bills now too.  Everyone is cautiously optimistic at this point, but this thing could just as easily fall through the floor if they start out like 2018.  They have rejected experienced organizational managers and have bungled various decisions, with some embarrassing events (such as Whaley's "Im not privy" PC). 

I like McDermott and Beane.  Hope they do well and they show signs of being legit... but they also show signs of being behind the current NFL trends at the same time.  Time will tell.  I think McDermott is a great motivator for NFL players.  He will get the most out of them, but schematically, will they be able to score enough points in today's NFL?

So in short, you can like the Pegulas, be thankful.... but also, at the same time, be frustrated at the results or lack thereof.

Edited by May Day 10

19 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I see this point made whenever people get critical of the Pegulas.... Stability and willingness to spend are great.  So is the investment in the facilities and the city of Buffalo.  The family is likable.  I root for them.  The value of having deep pocketed owners who are committed to the area and want to win isnt lost on me (but it makes the failures frustrating because there is so much potential).

On the other hand, their handling of the on-ice Sabres has been nothing short of a complete failure.  They have taken a once proud franchise and made it completely irrelevant on their watch.  The wrong decision has been made at nearly every juncture.  They have rejected bringing in experienced help at the top of the organization and it has been a dysfunctional and disjointed mess.  I was against Botterill as GM, as I felt (and still feel), they didn't need to roll the dice on a 1st time GM.  The Pegulas have needed help from day 1.

That kind of goes for the Bills now too.  Everyone is cautiously optimistic at this point, but this thing could just as easily fall through the floor if they start out like 2018.  They have rejected experienced organizational managers and have bungled various decisions, with some embarrassing events (such as Whaley's "Im not privy" PC). 

I like McDermott and Beane.  Hope they do well and they show signs of being legit... but they also show signs of being behind the current NFL trends at the same time.  Time will tell.  I think McDermott is a great motivator for NFL players.  He will get the most out of them, but schematically, will they be able to score enough points in today's NFL?

So in short, you can like the Pegulas, be thankful.... but also, at the same time, be frustrated at the results or lack thereof.

I don't even understand how that whole President or Czar or whatever thing even works.  I thought a GM is the one who makes those types of decisions?..............Who has the final say?  Why even have a GM?..............And, then what if you hire the wrong Czar?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep. 

But that was edmonton when Craig Mactavish was their GM. He’s up there as far as incompetent GM’s go... 

and Edmonton, under Krueger, finished 3rd in their division. They had finished last in the division for 3 years before that (their best finish was 2nd last in their division in the 6 years before Krueger got there), and finished last in their division for 3 straight years after he left, too. The 3 years before Krueger came on board, the Oilers were 30th, 29th and 30th in the NHL (out of 30 teams). 

That edmonton roster all had better goals-above-replacement numbers under Krueger then after he left. He even had Nial Yakupov looking like a budding star in his only year there (Yakupov’s only really good NHL season). 

Edmonton fans and media have nothing but good things to say about him and think he was wrongfully fired by a new GM that wanted his guy. They would all take him back in a heartbeat from what I’ve seen written. 

The Sabres are not the only team interested in him. It was reported on WGR that Ottawa is also seriously considering him. I would be more than pleased with either Tippitt or Krueger. One story that I read is that Tippitt is our first choice but it appears that he is destined to go to Edmonton. If that is the case then I would be more than happy with Krueger

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't even understand how that whole President or Czar or whatever thing even works.  I thought a GM is the one who makes those types of decisions?..............Who has the final say?  Why even have a GM?..............And, then what if you hire the wrong Czar?  

You hire a guy, and trust him to build the program however he thinks is best.  Especially effective when you are new to sports, and have little to no knowledge or experience.  Build the program from the top down.  They did this for like 3 months with (an inexperienced) LaFontaine.... but apparently changed their minds.

Lou Lamoriello, for example, has been available twice during the Pegulas' term.   

Frankly, I just don't think the Pegulas like the idea of them ceding control and influence to a strong figure.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

You hire a guy, and trust him to build the program however he thinks is best.  Especially effective when you are new to sports, and have little to no knowledge or experience.  Build the program from the top down.  They did this for like 3 months with (an inexperienced) LaFontaine.... but apparently changed their minds.

Frankly, I just don't think the Pegulas like the idea of them ceding control and influence to a strong figure.

I still don't understand the roles they all play.  

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

If you empower your GM you don't need an overseeing authority such as Big Lou. As you pointed out the time to have utilized a president like the dominant Lou is when you are new to the business and starting from scratch. Adding that type of position now to the Sabres would cause needless conflicts between the GM and the Italian boss. Lou did a good job with Toronto but his tenure was not so unsurprisingly short because the operation no longer needed his oversight. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep. 

I have a hard time finding anything worthwhile for the purpose of evaluation from his short stay in Edmonton.  It was one lockout shortened season with a broken franchise.  He was also an assistant for some of those previous years of suck. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-13-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-instigators

elliotte Friedman on the instigators talking Sabres coaching search. He seems to think they are zeroed in on Krueger (around the 17-18 minute mark). He said we looked into McLellan and he went to LA, looked into Tippett but Edmonton looks more likely for him. So at some point they started to zero in on Krueger. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-13-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-instigators

elliotte Friedman on the instigators talking Sabres coaching search. He seems to think they are zeroed in on Krueger (around the 17-18 minute mark). He said we looked into McLellan and he went to LA, looked into Tippett but Edmonton looks more likely for him. So at some point they started to zero in on Krueger. 

Something is very broken.  Botts has guys scurrying away.  How long since Krueger's name has come up anywhere?  Did all people currently involved in hockey opt out so we found some guy that had gone to soccer?

I hope this guy succeeds and we need a change of pace but I'm not sure the whole Tony Robbins schtick is they way to go.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Something is very broken.  Botts has guys scurrying away.  How long since Krueger's name has come up anywhere?  Did all people currently involved in hockey opt out so we found some guy that had gone to soccer?

I hope this guy succeeds and we need a change of pace but I'm not sure the whole Tony Robbins schtick is they way to go.

Krueger has turned down multiple NHL jobs in recent years (at least 2 in just the last 2 years). Teams have been trying to get him back in the NHL going back to at least 2016. But he wouldn’t break his contract with Southampton. His contract just expired less than a month ago. 

He is actually a very well respected hockey mind, and is known for getting more out of his teams than anyone really expected. He’s done it almost everywhere he’s been - German league, Swiss team, his 1/2 season in Edmonton and just recently with Southampton. 

He is kind of like a rich man’s Ted Nolan. 

It is a risk though. He doesn’t have a proven NHL track record, has been out of hockey for a few years and has more experience with the European game. But he is a valid, respected coaching candidate. Teams have been trying to lure him back for years. 

Id prefer Tippett, but I’m not sure if he’s an option. 

I agree that Friedman did make it sound like McLellan and Tippett may have chosen other teams over the Sabres. But that could just be because McLellan has a close relationship with LA’s GM and Tippett has a close relationship with Ken Holland (plus Holland never fires his coaches, so Tippett knows he will get time to fix the Oilers). 

If candidates really are being scared away, I don’t really think it’s anything Botterill did though. 

I think its likely due to how many coaches and GMs have been fired since Pegula bought the team. They’ve fired a coach and/or GM about every 2 years. We are going on our 5th head coach in the 6 years since Ruff was fired, and our 6th head coach since Pegula took over in 2011. 

fired Ruff in Feb. 2013.

Fired Rolston and Regier Nov. 2013

Lafontaine left (lets be real, he was fired) in March 2014.

Nolan fired Apr. 2015

Bylsma and Murray fired Apr. 2017

Housley fired Apr. 2019

Coaches tend to be cocky SOBs. Most think they can fix any mess if given enough time. But no coach has been given more than 2 years here since Pegula took over. Having owners who are quick to fire people seems to be one thing that scares off good candidates in any sport. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1