Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 minute ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Well, lighting striking two years in a row was probably too much to ask for. I don’t understand why they don’t draw live though. The whole thing has a bit of a shady feel to it. 

it looks really shady.  especially with Chicago and NY winning

3 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

We would've had the same amount of points as them and they had more ROW wins so it's right. We would've been slotted where they were.

Why torture yourself like this? 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

If this is right someone needs to kick me in the balls so I feel better

3 minutes ago, suorangefan4 said:

We would've had the same amount of points as them and they had more ROW wins so it's right. We would've been slotted where they were.

I used to think that too, but it’s not really true. 

Each team is assigned a certain amount of 4 number combinations. Had we finished with the top 3 lottery odds, we would have had more number combinations assigned to us but that doesn’t mean we would’ve automatically had the winning set of numbers. That number combination could have still very easily went to New Jersey.

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Devils get #1, Hughes to be schooled in the left-wing lock. Ugh...

His career will be lost before it begins in a place like NJ.

We could have really used some huge luck and a big move up.

Whoever we take at 7 won't play in Buffalo next year. 

So Botterill's very tough job this summer just got tougher.

On 4/6/2019 at 6:43 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Wow, unbelievable. 7-1. 

I love it!  

When is the last time the Sabres ended the season with a win? It feels like forever. Especially a blowout 7-1 win...

I know it screws up their draft position by 1 spot but I’m still happy for a definitive win like this. 

The Rangers game is in overtime so that locks Buffalo into the #5 spot.

Now let’s hope for some draft lottery luck! 

Actually those 2 wins screwed up their draft position by 6 spots and cost them the #1 pick. 

At least they will always have the memory of that thrilling blowout win to end the season and the winning momentum to start next season.?

I was hoping to stay at 5, or ideally move up to #2 (I really wanted Kakko) but I’m happy at #7.

The only thing I didn’t want to happen is to get pushed to #8 (and even then, chances were that one of the top 7 would fall to #8). 

There are 3 tiers in this draft -

#1 and #2 are tier 1

#3 - #7 is tier 2 

#8 - #9 is tier 3

So we stayed in that 2nd tier where there are some really, really good players with top 6/top 3 potential. 

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

If this is right someone needs to kick me in the balls so I feel better

Could you give me a little time to go to the shoe store and buy some heavy duty steel tip work boots? Am I allowed more than one kick? I want to give each foot an opportunity to feel the exhilaration of you writhing on the ground holding your squished nuts. :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Actually those 2 wins screwed up their draft position by 6 spots and cost them the #1 pick. 

At least they will always have the memory of that thrilling blowout win to end the season and the winning momentum to start next season.?

How do you figure? It doesn’t work like that. 

Like I said, each team is assigned number combinations. They are not determined by draft spot. Only the amount of # combinations is.

The actual number combinations are determined randomly. So each time they are assigned, teams would get a different set of numbers. 

If we had finished at #3, the number combinations we got would have almost definitely been different than the number combinations NJ got. We don’t automatically end up with the winning numbers...

Edited by BillsFan4

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was hoping to stay at 5, or ideally move up to #2 (I really wanted Kakko) but I’m happy at #7.

The only thing I didn’t want to happen is to get pushed to #8 (and even then, chances were that one of the top 7 would fall to #8). 

#1 and #2 are tier 1

#3 - #7 is tier 2 

#8 - #9 is tier 3

So we stayed in that 2nd tier where there are some really, really good players with top 6/top 3 potential. 

Pretty much where I was at as well.

Top 2 would've been sweet, but they should still get a Mittelstadt quality player at 7.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Like I said, each team is assigned number combinations. They are not determined by draft spot. Only the amount of # combinations is.

The actual number combinations are determined randomly. So each time they are assigned, teams would get a different set of numbers. 

If we had finished at #3, the number combinations we got would have almost definitely been different than the number combinations NJ got. 

I didn't know that. 

So we will never know what those 2 wins cost them, it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

#1 and #2 are tier 1

#3 - #7 is tier 2 

#8 - #9 is tier 3

We are going to come out of this draft with a very good prospect. It will take some time for development but so what? That's the normal process. Last year the GM acquired Skinner from a trade, Montour from an in-season trade and Pilut from the free agent market. If we get three to four prime time players through trades and free agency and with the improvement of our young players such as Mitts, Tage, Olofsson and Borgen this roster should be upgraded. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If we had finished at #3, the number combinations we got would have almost definitely been different than the number combinations NJ got. We don’t automatically end up with the winning numbers...

Yeah, but the folks who keep going down that road ("if only") are hockey fans.  You can expect them to have any idea how probability / random combinations work...

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I didn't know that. 

So we will never know what those 2 wins cost them, it is what it is.

Yep.  There are 1001 combinations IIRC and they are distributed randomly to the teams in the lottery based on the assigned winning percentages.  (E.g. A team with 6.0% chance of winning has 60 combos.) Should that 1,001st combo get drawn, then they do a redraw.  (They also do redraws on the 2nd & 3rd winning combos should a prior winner's #'s come up again.

They've got the #'s distributed randomly to keep as many teams still eligible as possible as balls are drawn until the 4th ball is drawn.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This was the second most likely thing that could have happened to the Sabres. The most likely was falling only one spot. So let’s not act as this is some major travesty of justice. Now we just have to sit back and hope they nail it. I’m biased, but I’m guessing it’ll be Zegras. 

• Like (+1) 1