Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Great game by The Amerks. 6-1 win today on their 3rd game in 3 days.

The 2 shorthanded goals during that one 4 minute penalty was impressive. 

They had 3 games in a row (fri, sat, sun). They won all 3 games and only allowed 1 goal total in all 3 games. 

• Like (+1) 2

Asplund is really starting to find his game, too. 

The sooner we we can rid ourselves of anyone left over from the tank days, the better off we’ll be. Guys like Asplund will make that possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

Im not so sure I buy the “avoidable” angle they pushed so hard there. The only way to avoid it is to give up his position and let Soderberg go. There was no hit there that wasn’t going to hit the head, whether initially or secondarily. The point of impact was completely down to chance. 

meh. The hit didn't look vicious or avoidable either.  Two players going for the puck & as shrader said, I don't know how you avoid it without giving up the puck.  Dude was leading with his head.  Eichel was pissed, he didn't pull up. The bigger issue for me was the hit Eichel took earlier.  The lazy faire (speeling error on purpose and to enhance my point) attitude that his teammates took is a direct result of their lazy faire coach.  It was a luke warm response.  Anyone surprised?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

meh. The hit didn't look vicious or avoidable either.  Two players going for the puck & as shrader said, I don't know how you avoid it without giving up the puck.  Dude was leading with his head.  Eichel was pissed, he didn't pull up. The bigger issue for me was the hit Eichel took earlier.  The lazy faire (speeling error on purpose and to enhance my point) attitude that his teammates took is a direct result of their lazy faire coach.  It was a luke warm response.  Anyone surprised?

The response was dictated by the players on the ice.  Toughness is not important to Botterill and this team has not been constructed with that in mind.  So we shouldn't be surprised when this team plays soft.  It's who they are. 

GMTM wanted to go with a heavy lineup but that has been undone now.

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

This thread is to funny

I fully expect that to be the case.

So then you can also make friends with the idea of him being fired in November or early December.

As a result of that, you should also make friends with the idea of no playoffs next season as well.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:42 PM, shrader said:

Hes not admiring the pass. He was looking back there the whole time before and after the pass. He’s the defenseman in talking about with the previous post. He’s carrying the puck up ice while looking backwards the whole time. This might be the first ever case where they should suspend someone for stupidity. 

Watch a different video of it.

Clendening ( the guy who got hit) is bringing the puck up the ice and drops a pass back to his D partner.  He is indeed admiring his little drop pass and looking backward as he gets hit.

As I said, the hit was legal, but a touch late.  

This sort of thing used to be much more prevalent in hockey but the game gets more and more sanitized all the time now.

31 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Watch a different video of it.

Clendening ( the guy who got hit) is bringing the puck up the ice and drops a pass back to his D partner.  He is indeed admiring his little drop pass and looking backward as he gets hit.

As I said, the hit was legal, but a touch late.  

This sort of thing used to be much more prevalent in hockey but the game gets more and more sanitized all the time now.

He jumps prior to the hit, so there's no way I'm calling that legal.  But anyway, as for Clendening, if he had ever actually been looking up ice in the first place, I might get behind that overused "admiring the pass" angle.  He telegraphed that drop pass and paid for it.  The problem wasn't that he wasn't looking while making the pass, it was that he wasn't looking at any point even before making the pass.

You remove Eichel from the equation and there's not a lot left over.

At least we lost.  There's a compelling argument to be made for the need to fire Housley.

I wish they'd fire Botterill too, but that is just wishful thinking.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Housley” we ran into a hot goalie” 

thompson” we played great without the C”

yep, we wonder about the coach and team....not quitting is the expectation in that room now. 

The epitome of a losing mentality. 

I can see Skinner walking and that will put the cherry on this crap sundae of a season. 

Hey @JohnC , i know you have not posted here in a while....and I am not being sarcastic. I am curious though if your opinion has changed at all on the Sabres organization, the Coach GM combo, players etc. Not here to argue, but as prolly the lone dissenter in this thread, was curious if this last bit of results has changed your mind at all?

Obviously, for this season, there is no reason to make changes,  other than to make a point that the results are not acceptable, as Jeremy White has opined. 

I truly was just curious if your opinion has changed at all. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

The epitome of a losing mentality. 

I can see Skinner walking and that will put the cherry on this crap sundae of a season. 

Funny, I was texting my nephew last night...saying do you remember the Titans-Bills game weekend, we went to Ranger _ Sabre game..2nd game of year Sabres win 3-1..but we said cant really take anything from that game as Rangers are tanking this year. Lo and behold Sabres are tied with them now. 

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey @JohnC , i know you have not posted here in a while....and I am not being sarcastic. I am curious though if your opinion has changed at all on the Sabres organization, the Coach GM combo, players etc. Not here to argue, but as prolly the lone dissenter in this thread, was curious if this last bit of results has changed your mind at all?

Obviously, for this season, there is no reason to make changes,  other than to make a point that the results are not acceptable, as Jeremy White has opined. 

I truly was just curious if your opinion has changed at all. 

Funny, I was texting my nephew last night...saying do you remember the Titans-Bills game weekend, we went to Ranger _ Sabre game..2nd game of year Sabres win 3-1..but we said cant really take anything from that game as Rangers are tanking this year. Lo and behold Sabres are tied with them now. 

My position has not only not changed but has been hardened. The primary issue with this team is that there is a deficit of talent. The biggest problem is that we don't have enough goal scorers spread out throughout the lineup. Yesterday's game exemplifies that point. The Sabres didn't play that poorly. They can for the most part keep up with the exception of scoring goals. 

I challenge you and anyone else to watch the Sabres play a good team. Whether they win or lose you can not objectively conclude that they were the more talented team on the ice. To my eyes it is glaringly apparent that we are the lesser team. What's the solution? It's the same as it is for every team in the league, add talent. There is no quick fix. While you and others continue you energetic chase for your imaginary bogeyman (the coach) I will be watching to see how the young players develop and what moves the GM makes this offseason.

Last offseason, the GM traded for Skinner, brought in Pilut as a free agent and made an in-season traded for Montour. I'm counting on the GM to be more active around the draft and infuse this team with more talent. I'm not as pessimistic as you and others are. The GM has a basic plan (that most teams follow when rebuilding) to develop your young players/prospects and steadily bring in players through trades and free agency to build a more competitive roster. There is no other way. I'm on board. 

I have stopped posting on the hockey side of this board because repeating my position becomes boring to the people receiving the posts and the person giving the post. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1