Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Are you a patent attorney?

No. I'm your typical street dumb arse who tries to use common sense. To many people Jerry Sullivan is a jerk. But that doesn't mean that everything he says is wrong. 

“The Strength of a Continent”

BY JAROSLAV HALÁK

NOV 8 2016

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/world-cup-of-hockey-jaroslav-halak-team-europe

Its about his time with team europe.

There were moments during the final of the 2016 World Cup of Hockey two months ago when I could not believe where I was standing or what I was seeing. I could not believe it at all.....

.....I saw my Team Europe teammates: my five fellow Slovaks, the six Germans, the four Swiss, the three Danes, the one Austrian, the one Frenchman, the one Norwegian and the one Slovenian. I saw them all with the same colors on. All these different nationalities, and there we were, playing against Team Canada for the championship......

.....And all I could think was, I am participating in a final … against Canada, and we have a chance to win the game! This doesn’t happen too often for players from our countries!

For the majority of guys on Team Europe, we were not familiar with being in this position.

Prior to the tournament, there was no way that you could have predicted our success

Our improvement started with our coaches: Ralph Krueger. Paul Maurice. Brad Shaw. After the North Americans won 4–0 in the first exhibition, the coaches asked us to come into the video room. We did not know how the coaches would react. But the coaches did something very good. They brought out the positives in the game. They did not pick on guys. They showed us the system that they wanted us to play so that we could be successful.

Eight small little countries had come together to achieve something many people had said was impossible. Nobody thought we could get this far outside of the guys we had in that room.

I really, really hope there’s some truth to this. Vellucci would be a huge get, in my opinion. 

He just won the AHL coach of the year award. Charlotte had their best season in club history and it was also the 10th best season in AHL history. 

He is widely thought of as of as an eventual NHL head coach. 

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/mike-vellucci-named-winner-of-louis-a-r-pieri-award-as-ahl-s-outstanding-coach

He is also assistant GM in carolina but I am almost positive that his contract is expiring so I believe the hurricanes can’t block him. 

Their owner is also a big cheapskate when it comes to coaching and front office salaries, so we should be able to offer more money I would think. 

For example, Steve Greeley, our assistant GM, interviewed for their GM job. He got a 2nd interview and turned down the GM job in part because he was offered less than what he makes as AGM here (the rumored offer was around $400-600k iirc). I doubt he’s even making $1M as the combined AGM and AHL Head Coach. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ralph Krueger: I've 52 stitches in my face. Believe me, I can be ruthless

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/16/ralph-krueger-ruthless-southampton-chairman-mauricio-pochettino

I see people knocking Krueger’s time in the premier league, but me personally, I am amazed by it. 

He had absolutely no experience in the soccer world, yet he stepped right in and ran a team in the biggest, most popular league in the entire world and actually did a really good job at it. And the team was in transition at the time. It’s not like everything was perfect when he took over. The owner was in a squabble with the club’s chairman and things got messy I guess.

It gives me confidence that this Sabres job isn’t going to be too big for him. He’s never met a job that has been... 

This guy has never really failed at anything he’s done. As far as I can tell, he has always left a place better than he found it. 

Fine.  But, if we pick Messi in the first round, I'm done.  

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, shrader said:

If he didn't have another year left on his contract, I'd ask if Halak would be interested in coming to Buffalo this time.

He would immediately upgrade the position. 

But he can go screw himself seven ways to Sunday.  

Fellow coaches expect Krueger to thrive, adjust with Sabres

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/05/16/fellow-coaches-expect-krueger-to-thrive-adjust-with-sabres/comment-page-1/#comment-609047

Mike Babcock and Ralph Krueger’s relationship goes back to 2004 and countless conversations since about coaching in the NHL.

The Toronto Maple Leafs coach just wishes Krueger hadn’t joined the rival Buffalo Sabres to make his job more difficult.

”It didn’t thrill me that he’s just down the road, but that’s the way life is,” Babcock said. ”He’s going to help their team out.”

”In a very short period of time, he was able to build a really powerful culture,” said Winnipeg Jets coach Paul Maurice, who was an assistant under Krueger at the World Cup. ”He made absolutely everybody in the room feel a part of it. The equipment guys, the medical guys, the media guys – everybody that was involved with that group had an incredible experience, and that was almost solely driven by Ralph.”

”He’s very, very good at reasoning with players,” Hitchcock said. ”He’s a very intelligent guy on getting the players to understand where he wants to take them. He just doesn’t grab them and pull them along. He’s very good at getting the players to understand the value of where he needs them to go.”

The joy from Babcock, Maurice and Hitchcock in Krueger’s return stems from their admiration for him as a person and confidence that he’s a good coach who deserves this opportunity. Half a decade in a front office job didn’t sap Krueger’s love for coaching.

”He gets up in the morning rolling and he wants to get to work and make things better,” Maurice said. ”He has this great passion for the game, but he’s also a generally caring person and that’s the great mix. He’s not so driven by his passion that he doesn’t care about people or just a people person who’s not involved in the details of the game. It’s just a big blend of being a real good human being and being very driven at the same time.”

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2019 at 6:19 PM, BillsFan4 said:

At the very least, it's encouraging to hear this kind of praise from around the league. 

If he can do any kind of reclamation project on Risto and, even more amazing, Scandella, we will improve. I'm confident he's gonna get the most out of our young wingers like he did in Edmonton. 

• Like (+1) 2