Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

58 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Run out an get your seasons for next year folks. Housley is a dead man walking. Sabres have won 13 games out of 49.

I hope you're right!

But I also hope they have the good sense to keep him until the season ends, then can his ass.

He's doing a great job of maxing out our draft pick.  I doubt we win more than 2 more games now.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I hope you're right!

But I also hope they have the good sense to keep him until the season ends, then can his ass.

He's doing a great job of maxing out our draft pick.  I doubt we win more than 2 more games now.

Today was another good day for the tank, Rangers and Ducks won. Tied for 5th worse now

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:He is getting a tryout. To be handed something would be EJ as Bills QB. That was supposed to be permanent.  This is not that.

I don’t know, I guess I just look at it differently than you and k9.

Eichel was suspended and buffalo needed a forward. Nylander was currently the best performing Amerk, so he got the call up. That doesn’t automatically entitle him to top line minutes. 

Then after he got here and played a few games, he did/showed enough to earn a tryout on the top line with Eichel.

I am fine with that. 

I know how I used to feel about stuff like that when I played hockey (handing guys opportunity vs making them earn it). We all had a lot more respect for the coaches that made guys earn it and didn’t give preferential treatment.

We would bust our asses every day in practice all season long. When someone would come in and be immediately given opportunities we had been busting our ass to earn, it didn’t go over too well in the room. I think Housley understands that, being a player himself. 

Anyway, I’ll let this topic die now... lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just heard that Jason Botterill will be team Canada’s GM for the upcoming World Hockey Championships. I guess Elliotte Friedman said it last night on Hockey Night in Canada. 

Its a nice honor for Botterill. And maybe he can help butter skinner up a bit up more (in contract negotiations) with an invite... lol. 

For all those dying to have Housley gone, it could also potentially be a good opportunity for him to take a few week test drive with another head coach... 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I just heard that Jason Botterill will be team Canada’s GM for the upcoming World Hockey Championships. I guess Elliotte Friedman said it last night on Hockey Night in Canada. 

Its a nice honor for Botterill. And maybe he can help butter skinner up a bit up more (in contract negotiations) with an invite... lol. 

For all those dying to have Housley gone, it could also potentially be a good opportunity for him to take a few week test drive with another head coach... 

Botterill should decline and spend all his time and energy making this crap show of a team even remotely respectable.

I wonder if Bogosian is injured? 

Curious to see if this is considered an emergency recall. NHL teams are only allowed 4 regular recalls after the trade deadline. So if Pilut counts, he is either recall #3 or 4. 

- Nylander was one (even if he was initially called up because of eichel’s absense, they’d have to use a regular recall to keep him up after Eichel came back).

- Tage Thompson was #2 (sent down at deadline to be eligible for AHL playoffs, and had to be recalled). 

- Danny O’Regan was called up on Feb. 26th and sent down on Feb. 27th. I have no idea if it counted as 1 of the 4 recalls though. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Botterill should decline and spend all his time and energy making this crap show of a team even remotely respectable.

Not a chance.  That gig is a nice feather in his cap and guys on that level are all about themselves and their careers.

A big part of his "slow and steady" approach with the Sabres is undoubtedly designed to keep him getting those 7 figure paychecks as long as he can.  A lot of guys reach this level, get fired, and never get back to this level again, and Botterill knows it.

What's Tim Murray doing these days?  

Gotta make the most out of the ride while it lasts.

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wonder if Bogosian is injured? 

Curious to see if this is considered an emergency recall. NHL teams are only allowed 4 regular recalls after the trade deadline. So if Pilut counts, he is either recall #3 or 4. 

- Nylander was one (even if he was initially called up because of eichel’s absense, they’d have to use a regular recall to keep him up after Eichel came back).

- Tage Thompson was #2 (sent down at deadline to be eligible for AHL playoffs, and had to be recalled). 

- Danny O’Regan was called up on Feb. 26th and sent down on Feb. 27th. I have no idea if it counted as 1 of the 4 recalls though. 

Nah, I just think they want to look at Pilut some more, now that we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs and so the team and publicly take the stance that the playoffs are not an option.  The fans have known this for a long time now, of course.

They should have been playing Pilut a lot more all season long and the fact that he has not is a major knock on both Botterill and Housley.

14 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Today was another good day for the tank, Rangers and Ducks won. Tied for 5th worse now

Yep, I think we will lend up 5th worst in the league when the smoke clears, which is not bad.  Or not good, depending on how you want to look at it.

:lol:

29 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not a chance.  That gig is a nice feather in his cap and guys on that level are all about themselves and their careers.

A big part of his "slow and steady" approach with the Sabres is undoubtedly designed to keep him getting those 7 figure paychecks as long as he can.  A lot of guys reach this level, get fired, and never get back to this level again, and Botterill knows it.

What's Tim Murray doing these days?  

Gotta make the most out of the ride while it lasts.

Unfortunately, you’re right. But it would go a long way with me and other long time suffering devoted fans if he got up in front of the cameras and said that, while honored to be considered, his first job is making the Sabres better and he won’t have time for anything else until that job is done. Corny, I know, but it’s true none the less. Specially when your team is historically bad. 

Instead, we can listen to his bull crap about how, even though it’s not reflected in the standings, the team has shown progress. I don’t know who is more full of it, him or Housely. 

Edit: I do know who is more full of it, it is Housley, hands down. I forgot about his postgame proclamation that “we should have won the game” last night. That they “played well enough to win” last night. This is the man leading this team. Laughable.

Edited by K-9

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

He would have to be signed before the tourney to play. No way he playing if he is going to UFA. 

• Like (+1) 1

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/dahlin-passes-orr-marking-major-milestone-in-18-year-old-sabres-rookies-superb-season

While Bobby Orr was having a wild 71st birthday on Wednesday night, dancing on top of bar tables, throwing televisions out of hotel rooms and inciting riots in the posh Boston suburb of Weston (OK, none of that happened), Rasmus Dahlin was busy becoming the second-highest scoring 18-year-old defenseman in NHL history, passing Orr for the distinction with an assist on Casey Mittelstadt’s goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Since the Buffalo Sabres made Dahlin the first overall pick at the draft last June, he has not only emerged as one of the best young defensemen in the league, but he’s close to completing one of the best seasons by an 18-year-old blueliner in NHL history......

....... The Sabres’ willingness to give Dahlin important minutes while allowing him to make mistakes is what has given him the opportunity to make such an impact as an 18-year-old.

Pretty damn impressive, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Immedeiately called up and sent back down, that’s got emergency recall written all over it. I guess it really doesn’t matter though since they’re not building towards anything at this moment. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Immedeiately called up and sent back down, that’s got emergency recall written all over it. I guess it really doesn’t matter though since they’re not building towards anything at this moment. 

Yeah I figure that they have at least 1 recall left, maybe 2 if Pilut was called up due to injury. I thought it looked like Bogo was possibly playing through some pain in the 3rd, which is why I thought Pilut may be an injury recall. 

Agreed that it really doesn’t matter though. 

The main reason I was wondering how many callups they have left is that I am still holding out hope to see someone like Olofsson get a look before the season is over. 

I am also guessing the O’Regan callup was on an emergency basis. Seems stupid to waste 1 of your 4 callups to have him up for 24hrs.

Edit - I just went and checked the Sabres twitter feed just out of curiosity. Looks like Bogo did miss practice today, which is why Pilut was called up. So it’s almost definitely an emergency recall. 

But I wouldn’t be surprised if Bogo isn’t ready to play tomorrow.

Edited by BillsFan4

17 hours ago, K-9 said:

I'm not one to typically agree with yourself, but on this we are in alignment.  My first thought on reading this was "fix what you started" rather than going off on a jaunt that will take up too much of your time.

Have not watched a game in a while...appears to be a nice night to sit on the porch, build a fire, and watch the Sabres during commercials of some women's game that is  blowout and I know nothing about...and still be more entertaining than the Sabres

58 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have not watched a game in a while...appears to be a nice night to sit on the porch, build a fire, and watch the Sabres during commercials of some women's game that is  blowout and I know nothing about...and still be more entertaining than the Sabres

Can’t believe you’d deny yourself the opportunity to witness the progress this team has made. 

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Can’t believe you’d deny yourself the opportunity to witness the progress this team has made. 

He better be careful.  Some might try to say he's not a real fan.

• Like (+1) 2