Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, shrader said:

He's definitely a name that has been floating around in my head since the deadline.  I just worry about any player who has a noticeable drop in scoring this year even though scoring is up across the board.  I could see them rolling the dice on a guy like him though, but I think it might be contingent on freeing up the Okposo money.  I don't think there's much of a chance of that happening though.

Gergensons is one of our hardest playing players. He just can't score even when the opportunities are staring him in the face. He has the attributes of a physical presence but his scoring impotency limits his role. As you have noted Okposo is past his prime as a power forward and is untradeable because of his contract. If Larsson and Gergensons are kept (I doubt both will be kept)  I see our checking and physical line being made up of Okposo-Larsson and Gergensons. 

If Botterill is going to be aggressive in the offseason he will have to focus on bringing in a player or two who can play on the second line. I believe Mitts is capable of being a second line center but he simply isn't ready yet. Sheary-Rodrigues-Nylander make up a good skating third or fourth line. I'm hoping that as Nylander matures he will develop into a second-line player for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Since the advent of the 82 game season, has any team gone a full half season without winning two games in a row? The Sabres sit at 40 games since their last two game streak and can achieve that dubious distinction tonight. Unbelievable.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Since the advent of the 82 game season, has any team gone a full half season without winning two games in a row? The Sabres sit at 40 games since their last two game streak and can achieve that dubious distinction tonight. Unbelievable.

hockeydb.com would help for game details

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/team_results.php?tid=53&sid=2018

the Flyers are the only franchise I'm aware of with a team site that has gone into hyper-detail-mode for every game played

ask the hockeydb man, I've used him for legal cases for assertions based on the names of people in the database, he quickly and happily replied.

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

hockeydb.com would help for game details

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/team_results.php?tid=53&sid=2018

the Flyers are the only franchise I'm aware of with a team site that has gone into hyper-detail-mode for every game played

ask the hockeydb man, I've used him for legal cases for assertions based on the names of people in the database, he quickly and happily replied.

My favorite part about that site is looking at the trending names and trying to figure out why.  Usually it's a trade, but every now and then there's a completely random guy listed.  Yesterday it was  Nail Yakupov.  A few months ago, Maxim Afinogenov was in the top 10.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yakupov was because I think there were rumors of the Coyotes being interested in getting him back to the NHL after the season he just had in the KHL.

Last week I would have thought this game tonight was a gift for the Leafs, but with their recent slide, I dont even think the Sabres would be a 'slump buster' for them, the Sabres even get Sparks in net.

Saying that, leads are no probably going to win 5-0 with Sparks looking like a Vezina candidate, and Matthew's recording a hat trick .....

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yakupov was because I think there were rumors of the Coyotes being interested in getting him back to the NHL after the season he just had in the KHL.

Thanks.  I figured that someone must have been interested in him, but I never saw a story.  The kid is still only 25.  I fully expect to see someone roll the dice on him in the next couple years.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Another fine illustration of how far away this team is. Light years away from contending with the big dogs. Light. Years.

But I’m sure Housley “liked our game.” 

Goaltending was good! 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Another fine illustration of how far away this team is. Light years away from contending with the big dogs. Light. Years.

But I’m sure Housley “liked our game.” 

I wish the team was good but I'm okay if they don't win another game this year.

5 hours ago, BigMcD said:

Goaltending was good! 

Hutton was incredible.  He masked what should have been an easy blowout for TO.

There are several rungs of quality separating Toronto and Buffalo.  And then several more beyond Toronto and the heavyweights who will be vying for the Cup in a few weeks.  

I don't think the average Sabres fan realizes how far we have to go.  Some have even suggested "we are much closer than fans think" and this type of thing.

We have 1 defenseman and he's only 18 years old, 1 nice forward line, and no goaltending (though Hutton was great tonight).

Honorable mention goes to Mittelstadt and Nylander, both of whom still have a lot of promise for the future.

There just isn't much here, and that's a huge part of why we are so bad.  Housley is inept; that's a big part of it too.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Tank you very much!

10 more to go.  We are 7th right now on draft board!   I am hoping we can catch some luck, get into top 3.  Re-sign Skinner.  Add some talent.  And end this nightmare, and start our playoff streak

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sabres are playing 2 games (against Tampa Bay...) in Sweden next year on Nov. 8-9th. 

I bet Dahlin has to be excited! 

Good, they can go punch Berglund in his ungrateful face. Him quitting screwed up some plans this year for sure by forcing Mitts and Sobotka to play too many 2C minutes. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Good, they can go punch Berglund in his ungrateful face. Him quitting screwed up some plans this year for sure by forcing Mitts and Sobotka to play too many 2C minutes. 

I'll hold out hope that any fan who decides to make the trip can go and thank him for additional cap space that was used for a key addition.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

His quitting hockey was definitely not in the plan, but I don't think it's had that much of an impact on the record overall.

Our problems go way beyong anything a player like Berglund could have offered.

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

His quitting hockey was definitely not in the plan, but I don't think it's had that much of an impact on the record overall.

Our problems go way beyong anything a player like Berglund could have offered.

His quitting upset the development plans for Mitts and forced Sobotka to get minutes he shouldn’t have gotten. I don’t know what impact his staying would have had in the record, perhaps none, but it was a negative factor, regardless. 

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'll hold out hope that any fan who decides to make the trip can go and thank him for additional cap space that was used for a key addition.

So do both. Thank him and then punch him in the face or vise versa. Reagedless, he deserves a punch in the face for putting the team on the spot. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1