Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Amerks are back in 1st place in the north, and their record is currently the 4th best in the entire AHL. 

It's going to be interesting to see if the GM is going to bring in AHL callups if the Sabres playoff chances statistically decline.  From what he has previously stated my sense is that he would rather keep the Amerk roster in tact and have them involved in their own playoff run. He has repeatedly stated that he wants to create a culture of success throughout the system. 

When you have a rich system of prospects you have assets that not only can you eventually bring up but also parlay in deals. I know impatience is growing from the fandom but I believe in what he is doing. Compared to the previous GM there is a coherency and theme to how he goes about his business. What he is doing is the standard approach to rebuilding a losing organization. You restock the system with prospects and develop what you got. It takes time. But we are not as far away as many distraught people believe. 

54 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's going to be interesting to see if the GM is going to bring in AHL callups if the Sabres playoff chances statistically decline.  From what he has previously stated my sense is that he would rather keep the Amerk roster in tact and have them involved in their own playoff run. He has repeatedly stated that he wants to create a culture of success throughout the system. 

When you have a rich system of prospects you have assets that not only can you eventually bring up but also parlay in deals. I know impatience is growing from the fandom but I believe in what he is doing. Compared to the previous GM there is a coherency and theme to how he goes about his business. What he is doing is the standard approach to rebuilding a losing organization. You restock the system with prospects and develop what you got. It takes time. But we are not as far away as many distraught people believe. 

How long have you been repeating that?

2 hours ago, BigMcD said:

How long have you been repeating that?

I don't understand your point? Some people are calling for dramatic action such as firing the coach and making some major deals because of their impatience with the rebuilding of the roster. I say no to that approach because I believe the course that the GM has set is the right approach to take. That's the point 

Edited by JohnC

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Yeah it’ll be interesting to see if there are any call ups after the trade deadline.

If there are call-ups before that, I think they will be sent back down, at least on paper, by the trade deadline.

They have to be on the AHL roster at the trade deadline in order to be eligible for the AHL playoffs. 

I feel like Rochester had a legit shot at making a playoff run this year. 

I wonder if Botterill could (and/or would) “send down” (meaning a paper transaction, not for real) Mittelstadt, Thompson, and Dahlin at the trade deadline, in order to make them eligible for the AHL playoffs. Imagine a Rochester playoff team with those 3! 

Plus Pilut and Smith... (though I’d much prefer buffalo just make the playoffs themselves)

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just back from a weekend trip. Really debating watching. I was totally fine not seeing this coach grind the team into the ground on Friday night

I’m going to watch, but here’s a betting tip for you: the Islanders are 150-1 to win the Conference.  Every one of their home games through the playoffs from here on out will be played at Nassau Coliseum, which is a giant boost for them.

• Like (+1) 1

Pittsburgh won earlier today. I think Buffalo’s playoff hopes are done anyway, but they absolutely have to win tonight if they want any chance at keeping up with the teams ahead of them (I don’t see it, outside of Pittsburgh they are all playing excellent hockey). 

Oh, and St. Louis won their 10th straight today. We will definitely get their 1st this year. It’s not going to be quite as high as we hoped though. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your point? Some people are calling for dramatic action such as firing the coach and making some major deals because of their impatience with the rebuilding of the roster. I say no to that approach because I believe the course that the GM has set is the right approach to take. That's the point 

My point is, that you have been saying that for years and have not been right yet, so. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know, maybe Housley can show’em some more film. This team is one giant defensive lapse. Doesn’t reflect well on a coach whose claim to fame is his defensive acumen. But hey, show ‘em enough film and they’re bound to get it sooner or later. Right, Phil?

Edited by K-9

This is the problem this team has...I watched the golf real-time...FF ed the Sabre game..thank god. @JohnC will again preach patience as if the pitiful play of this team for 130 out 140 games should not matter...hey look they only 6 points back of the 2nd wild card...hope springs freaking eternal.. what a joke this coach is.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is the problem this team has...I watched the golf real-time...FF ed the Sabre game..thank god. @JohnC will again preach patience as if the pitiful play of this team for 130 out 140 games should not matter...hey look they only 6 points back of the 2nd wild card...hope springs freaking eternal.. what a joke this coach is.

Take a deep breath, and put another log on the fire. Go inside for some pants if the anxiety doesn’t subside within about 15 minutes. 

Now, if it last 4 hours or longer, you have a totally different issue. Make the most of it while you can, then get to a clinic before the timer goes off.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Take a deep breath, and put another log on the fire. Go inside for some pants if the anxiety doesn’t subside within about 15 minutes. 

Now, if it last 4 hours or longer, you have a totally different issue. Make the most of it while you can, then get to a clinic before the timer goes off.  

You know there is a reason not a single person outside your immediate family likes you  I will have you know the temp in Columbus Ohio never got above 38 this weekend, and never a pant was worn!!! 

I am willing to bet a bunch that the Sabres will fire Housley before a playoff game is ever seen, and I do not think he will be fired this season.

Winning breeds continuity, not the other way around. It plain and simple. The folks who believe the opposite should believe everyone should drive drunk as only 30% of driving fatalities involve drunk drivers...so 70% are caused by sober drivers...so we be way better off if everyone drove drunk!

I would be willing to wager in the 4 major sports in the last 20 years you can't find more than 3 or 4 coaches who had losing records for two years that went on to have consistent playoff  teams 

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

You know there is a reason not a single person outside your immediate family likes you correct? I will have you know the temp in Columbus Ohio never got above 38 this weekend, and never a pant was worn!!! 

I am willing to bet a bunch that the Sabres will fire Housley before a playoff game is ever seen, and I do not think he will be fired this season.

Winning breeds continuity, not the other way around. It plain and simple. The folks who believe the opposite should believe everyone should drive drunk as only 30% of driving fatalities involve drunk drivers...so 70% are caused by sober drivers...so we be way better off if everyone drove drunk!

I would be willing to wager in the 4 major sports, in the last 20 years cant find more than 3 or 4 coaches who had losing records for two years that went on to have playoff and championship teams.

I didn’t read past the first sentence. There's not a single person INSIDE my family who likes me! I may be a lot of things, but I’m self-aware! 

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, snafu said:

I’m going to watch, but here’s a betting tip for you: the Islanders are 150-1 to win the Conference.  Every one of their home games through the playoffs from here on out will be played at Nassau Coliseum, which is a giant boost for them.

If the Islanders make the playoffs only the first round games will be at the Nassau Coliseum. Any subsequent rounds would be at Barclays.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

What solutions do you have for a team that lacks talent? They are not good enough. How long have I been saying that? They have only one line that can score. There is no genuine second line on this team. There is minimal, bordering on non-existent secondary scoring. If you change the coach does that address the talent deficit? That's the issue that you continue to skirt. What fanciful trades are you going to make in-season that is going to add talent to the roster without creating additional liabilities? 

With respect to the playoff race I have stated that I'm not obsessed about it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I accept the reality that there is not enough talent on the roster to qualify for the playoffs. My primary interest is the development of the young players. That's the most important takeaway I have for this season. 

You and many others believe that jettisoning the coach will be a solution to what actually hinders this team. I think otherwise. My belief is that until more talent is added to the roster this team is going to struggle on the ice. If you think there was going to be a quick-fix to rebuilding this team then you are living in a fantasy world. 

Edited by JohnC

29 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If the Islanders make the playoffs only the first round games will be at the Nassau Coliseum. Any subsequent rounds would be at Barclays.

That’s the second time this week I’ve gotten bad info from listening to sports radio.

I still like that payout though. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What solutions do you have for a team that lacks talent? They are not good enough. How long have I been saying that? They have only one line that can score. There is no genuine second line on this team. There is minimal, bordering on non-existent secondary scoring. If you change the coach does that address the talent deficit? That's the issue that you continue to skirt. What fanciful trades are you going to make in-season that is going to add talent to the roster without creating additional liabilities? 

With respect to the playoff race I have stated that I'm not obsessed about it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I accept the reality that there is not enough talent on the roster to qualify for the playoffs. My primary interest is the development of the young players. That's the most important takeaway I have for this season. 

You and many others believe that jettisoning the coach will be a solution to what actually hinders this team. I think otherwise. My belief is that until more talent is added to the roster this team is going to struggle on the ice. If you think there was going to be a quick-fix to rebuilding this team then you are living in a fantasy world. 

That’s the thing. You said they have the talent. So....

18 minutes ago, BigMcD said:

That’s the thing. You said they have the talent. So....

I don't know what you are talking about. This roster has about half a dozen rookies or essentially rookies playing. They are learning on the job. There is an obvious developmental process going on while playing NHL games. Did you expect so many young players playing so much would result in instant success? I believe that Mittelstadt in time is going to be a good player. But right now he is struggling in his rookie year. You can say the same thing about Tage, Pilut, CJ, Ullmark and even Dahlin to a lesser and different extent. Will they be better next year? I believe so but I can't say to what extent. 

The GM took an approach that he is going to give the young players a lot of playing time. Collectively they are struggling. What I believe is that ultimately the extensive playing time in their rookie years will accelerate their advancement. 

If you have a different rebuild strategy then so state it. I'm open to different ideas. Whether you agree with the strategy  or not the GM has set a course and is following it. You may disagree with it while I don't. 

Edited by JohnC