Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Just now, JohnC said:

I just watched them play. If you like to watch the Islanders then watch them. You make your choice as to who to watch and I will make my own. 

Then don’t watch them, but don’t pretend to know what you are talking about when discussing a team you don’t watch. 

Sounds like there will be no trading Skinner, which is perfectly fine by me. It would be such a crushing blow to the team to trade him, anyway. Just listen to the interview quotes Eichel and others gave about Skinner today... 

I like our chances of signing him. He’s fit in so perfectly and by all accounts loves it here. Plus we are the only team that can offer 8 years and a spot playing as close to home as he’s going to get (no way Toronto can fit him in). I think the contract gets done as long as Buffalo makes a fair, competitive offer. Botts knows he can’t lose Skinner, and I don’t think Skinner is going to hold buffalo hostage for every penny he can get. Maybe I’m wrong but he doesn’t seem that type. He seems like a team guy to me. He’s constantly crediting his success to Eichel and his teammates. That doesn’t mean he will take a discount. But I don’t think he’s going to be unreasonable, either. 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:37 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Fun Fact I: on the last day of the 89-90 season Krupp scored an overtime goal against the Penguins. Just before that,  the Islanders had won at home and they put the Sabres/Pens game on the scoreboard. The Krupp goal eliminated the Pens and put the Isles in the playoffs.

I remember gleefully watching that with about a half dozen Pixsburghers; it was probably the closest I've ever come to getting my ass kicked during a hockey game ; - )

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, BigMcD said:

You pretend to know a lot about a team you don’t watch? For a team who lost Tavares, they have scored 3 fewer goals than the Sabres and have allowed the fewest goals in the NHL. They are far from as boring as you profess. Ok we get it, you watched some Devils games a bunch of years ago. Blah, blah! 

One of the main complaints about the Sabres in here over the course of the year is their inability to score goals.  I have not watched the Islanders at all, but if you're telling me that they're scoring even less than Buffalo (in more games played), I can see how that will be an immediate red flag to just about anyone in here.

39 minutes ago, shrader said:

One of the main complaints about the Sabres in here over the course of the year is their inability to score goals.  I have not watched the Islanders at all, but if you're telling me that they're scoring even less than Buffalo (in more games played), I can see how that will be an immediate red flag to just about anyone in here.

Just about, but not all.:flirt:

The Islanders are currently 34-17-6 (74 points). First in Metro with a 3 point cushion on the Caps and a game in hand.

I'm not going to keep stating my position, but consider the fact that the type of hockey that Lamoriello likes his coaches to run is compatible with ANY NHL-level player.  You don't need to re-arrange the roster over a period of three or four seasons to get the right players. They lost talent when Tavares left, and changed coaches and GM.  They finished last season  at 35-37-10 (80 points).  

It's hockey.  Play a basic puck support style with short, crisp passing and disciplined play in your own end.  Don't get fancy with systems.  Don't worry if one guy or another can fit a style.  Just get fast, talented players who want to go into the corners and the slot and work to keep the other team out of the corners and the slot.  Holy cripe, it is pretty simple, and when it is done well, it is just as fun to watch as any other type of play.

48 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Why does Housley start power plays with the second PP unit? Is that a common practice? Is it intended to wear down the first kill unit and then bring on the big timers? I don't get it 

It’s usually because he’s had his top line out there for a long shift when the penalty was incurred. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Will Seattle make the playoffs before the Sabres?  

Sadly, I am beginning to agree that a new coach is required, even though Murray is still the root cause.  God he created a diseased atmosphere.  There aren't many talented players, but more importantly, do any of them give a crap?  That's partly on the caustic moron that created most of this roster, but some of it has to fall on the coach.