Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Eichel is literally the only player able to get the puck out of the defensive zone. The rest have been dumps or turn overs. Awful start. 

Dahlin has no problem gaining the zone

35 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I know he's been through a lot but honestly is Kyle Okposo an NHL caliber player any more?  Another Tim Murray gem.

This is a last place team, plain and simple. Might not finish in last due to that fluke streak, but make no mistake about this is a last place team. The stat going around today I keep seeing omn Trwitter is this team has not won two games in a row in regulation since mid-October...think about that! But all is fine according to some(cough cough @JohnC)

So where do they go from here?  Sell just about anybody at the deadline I guess...what do we have..3 untouchables?

Jack

Dahlin

Skinner( if you have some assurances he is signing, trade him if no contract signed before the deadline)

Sam ..getting close to untouchable..have to a hual for him to be moved

Let the kids develop and try to win some games and a series or two in Rochester while Rome burns in Buffalo.....I am actually fine with that.

I mean two consecutive last-place finishers has to cost a coach his job no? Especially after throwing shade at the GM last night?  

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

What did Housely say about the GM last night, I turned the game off once Eichel missed and Carolina took it the other way and ended it

Coach Phil Housley was asked point-blank if this defense corps is simply not good enough as constructed – and quickly threw that hot potato back to General Manager Jason Botterill.

"That's Jason's job," Housley said pointedly. "Obviously, we're going to take a hard look at this game tonight and evaluate that tomorrow, but we're going to show it to them again and review it."

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This is a last place team, plain and simple. Might not finish in last due to that fluke streak, but make no mistake about this is a last place team. The stat going around today I keep seeing omn Trwitter is this team has not won two games in a row in regulation since mid-October...think about that! But all is fine according to some(cough cough @JohnC)

So where do they go from here?  Sell just about anybody at the deadline I guess...what do we have..3 untouchables?

Jack

Dahlin

Skinner( if you have some assurances he is signing, trade him if no contract signed before the deadline)

Let the kids develop and try to win some games and a series or two in Rochester while Rome burns in Buffalo.....I am actually fine with that.

I mean two consecutive last-place finishers has to cost a coach his job no? Especially after throwing shade at the GM last night?  

I wouldn't trade Risto, Thompson, Ullmark, Mittlestadt or Pilut either.  What would be the point?  There are other players I like but are clearly possibilities based on age and possible return.  Bogo?  I'd prefer to keep most of those guys.  I see your point about the bottom of the roster.  What could we possibly get for Okposo as an example?  I guess I just don't see much point in either buying or selling based on where we are.  If we are selling.....sorry to say this.....the guy to sell is clearly Skinner.

If a Murray guy is still in Rochester I consider it a waste.  I'm sick of hearing about Guhle and Nylander.  If they can't crack this roster and they were drafted by Tim Murray, Occum's Shaver says they will suck forever.  His stank needs to be as gone forever as soon as possible.  If some selling team can be suckered into giving us a relatively young decent player for a Murrayite I would do that in a heartbeat.  Eichel is obviously the exception to that.

28 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

,This is a last place team, plain and simple. Might not finish in last due to that fluke streak, but make no mistake about this is a last place team. The stat going around today I keep seeing omn Trwitter is this team has not won two games in a row in regulation since mid-October...think about that! But all is fine according to some(cough cough @JohnC)

Jack

Dahlin

You must be schizophrenic. You give advice that parallels what I have been saying all along. What you are actually saying in your surprisingly adroit response is let the rebuilding  process continue on and add to your core with the development of the young players on your roster and in the system. That's what I have been saying all along while you have been constantly  nipping at my heels like a rabid dog. 

Where I depart from you partially lucid response is your demand of jettisoning of Housley to satisfy your cravings for a head on a platter. What this turbulent franchise that is finally becoming stable under our smart GM needs most is continuity. As I have repeatedly stated to K-9, who has a similarly dismissive attitude toward the coach, is the constant churning of coaches who bring in their own systems doesn't solve the problem of talent deficiencies. It exacerbates it!

Your fixation on the playoffs is being short-sighted. I want the Sabres to make the playoffs as much as anyone here. The fans deserve it. But making short-term moves to qualify as a wild-card playoff team at the expense of dealing off young assets makes little sense  to me. 

Be brave plensmd. Don't get wobbly and frightful when facing the daunting challenge in front of you. Having the courage to maintain a strategy that is actually working even in the face of some immediate setbacks is the right thing and smart thing to do. Stay the course and stop with your foolhardy thinking that getting rid of a coach will solve the shortcomings that this team has.  

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Having the courage to maintain a strategy that is actually working

Okay, you have to be a Pegula daughter or something. In what parallel universe is finishing last two years in a row, and 4 of 6 years..a strategy that is working?

I know I cherry pick by taking the streak out..but i think we all agree winning ten in a row with 7 of them in OT or Shootout was just a fluke. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You must be schizophrenic. You give advice that parallels what I have been saying all along. What you are actually saying in your surprisingly adroit response is let the rebuilding  process continue on and add to your core with the development of the young players on your roster and in the system. That's what I have been saying all along while you have been constantly  nipping at my heels like a rabid dog. 

Where I depart from you partially lucid response is your demand of jettisoning of Housley to satisfy your cravings for a head on a platter. What this turbulent franchise that is finally becoming stable under our smart GM needs most is continuity. As I have repeatedly stated to K-9, who has a similarly dismissive attitude toward the coach, is the constant churning of coaches who bring in their own systems doesn't solve the problem of talent deficiencies. It exacerbates it!

Your fixation on the playoffs is being short-sighted. I want the Sabres to make the playoffs as much as anyone here. The fans deserve it. But making short-term moves to qualify as a wild-card playoff team at the expense of dealing off young assets makes little sense  to me. 

Be brave plensmd. Don't get wobbly and frightful when facing the daunting challenge in front of you. Having the courage to maintain a strategy that is actually working even in the face of some immediate setbacks is the right thing and smart thing to do. Stay the course and stop with your foolhardy thinking that getting rid of a coach will solve the shortcomings that this team has.  

I have a dismissive attitude towards Housley because since he’s arrived, I’ve seen NOTHING to suggest he’s got what it takes to succeed as a head coach. From use of personnel to in game management decisions and everything in between, nothing says he’s up to the task. He is simply not the right head coach at this time for this group. 

He will get the rest of the year to complete his audition, which will have included a last place finish 16 points worse than the previous coach and being at the helm of the second team in history to not make the playoffs after having a 10 game winning streak. A steak that, fair or not, changed the expectations for this team.

Expectations Housley has no clue how to manage. 

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

What did Housely say about the GM last night, I turned the game off once Eichel missed and Carolina took it the other way and ended it

Looks like Housley said the exact same B.S. that EVERY system coach says:  I need the GM to get me players who can play my system.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I wouldn't trade Risto, Thompson, Ullmark, Mittlestadt or Pilut either.

I agree with this and was going to post the same thing.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Looks like Housley said the exact same B.S. that EVERY system coach says:  I need the GM to get me players who can play my system.

Fixed.

This roster has at most two NHL-caliber lines, two defensive pairs and one goalie (with Hutton and Ulmark alternating on who that is from week to week).     While Bots is plainly sticking to his plan, it's painful to watch the the "core" guys--who are indeed developing and getting better--get drug down by the roster fodder players who are just passengers.   

I think it would provide a big psychological boost to the team if Botterill could swing a trade for a roster upgrade (I don't care what position, they can use help everywhere) by dealing a combination of draft choices and prospects like Nylander, Guhle or even Pilut (who has a great offensive future, but who I'm worried will never have enough sand in his pants to be effective in his own end)...   

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I wouldn't trade Risto, Thompson, Ullmark, Mittlestadt or Pilut either.  What would be the point?  There are other players I like but are clearly possibilities based on age and possible return.  Bogo?  I'd prefer to keep most of those guys.  I see your point about the bottom of the roster.  What could we possibly get for Okposo as an example?  I guess I just don't see much point in either buying or selling based on where we are.  If we are selling.....sorry to say this.....the guy to sell is clearly Skinner.

If a Murray guy is still in Rochester I consider it a waste.  I'm sick of hearing about Guhle and Nylander.  If they can't crack this roster and they were drafted by Tim Murray, Occum's Shaver says they will suck forever.  His stank needs to be as gone forever as soon as possible.  If some selling team can be suckered into giving us a relatively young decent player for a Murrayite I would do that in a heartbeat.  Eichel is obviously the exception to that.

to me, they are all tradeable. Again, i am not saying make a trade for trades sake..or for a rental for a short term playoff push.. I am talking bonafide hockey trade. 

If you want a shakeup to make a playoff push, seems obvious to me get rid of Housley, bring in Q..and I am pretty sure giving up 4 or more three games in a row at home in the critical stretch will not happen again

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I have a dismissive attitude towards Housley because since he’s arrived, I’ve seen NOTHING to suggest he’s got what it takes to succeed as a head coach. From use of personnel to in game management decisions and everything in between, nothing says he’s up to the task. He is simply not the right head coach at this time for this group. 

He will get the rest of the year to complete his audition, which will have included a last place finish 16 points worse than the previous coach and being at the helm of the second team in history to not make the playoffs after having a 10 game winning streak. A steak that, fair or not, changed the expectations for this team.

Expectations Housley has no clue how to manage. 

The probability that Housley is the coach next year is greater than he won't. We will see how that plays out.

This team should garner nearly 25 points more than last year's dreadful team. The Sabres are in nearly every game. That wasn't the case last year. As much as they can be exasperating, especially with their repeated crushing defensive lapses, they are a much more entertaining team compared to last year's team that had nothing redeeming as an entertainment product. 

Look at our roster makeup: Dahlin, Mitts, Pilut, Sage (I consider him a rookie though technically not so) and CJ Smith can be added to the list. Next year, Guhle and Nylander should be on the NHL roster. That's a lot of young players on a NHL team. In addition, I'm hoping that the GM can make a Skinner type deal in the offseason to bolster this roster. 

I said it before and I will say it again to you and the catatonic Plez that this team is moving in the right direction and is not far away from becoming a serious team. Your coaching bogeyman has little to do with our team's manifest problems. Our core problem revolves around our talent deficiencies. Steadily, those deficiencies are being addressed. 

You can scoff at may positive attitude and perspective but I am very encouraged from what I have seen. It's not about the now as much as it is about the near future. My recommendation is for the most part to stay the course.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1