Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Damn, if that’s what a 34yr old bottom 6 center rental is going for, I don’t have much hope that Buffalo will be able to acquire a top 6 C rental this year. There’s no way Botterill is giving up a 1st for a rental. 

I think it’ll be tough to get a rental this year anyway. The Sabes don’t have their 2nd round pick this year, and they don’t have their 3rd or 4th round pick this year either (depending on Sheary’s point totals and/or Hunwick being traded, it’ll either be our 3rd or our 4th). They don’t have their own 3rd next year either. 

It would likely have to be a player for player/prospect type of trade, or a 1st for a younger player with term and/or team control left. Buffalo just isn’t in position to give up a 1st for a rental. 

50 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He played shifts with Mittelstadt in yesterday’s game and I thought Mitts looked really good with Reinhart. So IMO it makes sense to see if Reinhart can help get Mitts going.

Plus, the Sheary/Mitts/Reinhart line was together in the 3rd period against Minnesota and I thought they looked good. They scored goal #4 that would have been the game winner if not for the wild tying it with 1min remaining. 

And If that line combo doesn’t work, I’m sure Housley and his asst. coaches will switch things up in game again. As I said in my last post I could see Reinhart being reunited with ERod and Smith.

And I thought Thompson had a somewhat rough game yesterday (and really, his last couple games). He was demoted to the 4th line before the Wild game, and Housley was presumably looking for a response which Thompson never gave. So it wasn’t surprising to see. Sometimes it’s good for these young kids to get to take a step back and breath. 

I agree Sobotka sucks. But at least he’s on the 4th line now, and is a better fit there than Thompson if Housley is looking to use them as more of a defense first, grinder line like he normally does. 

I agree Tage has way, way more potential than Sobotka. But I also think he’s much more suited for a top 9 role than a 4th line (role). Sobotka fits that 4th line grinder role better IMO. So I tend to look at it more like Thompson is sitting for CJ Smith. 

Ok, I’ll buy that about what Reino and Mitts did in the third. They did have some chemistry, I guess. At least Reino, while not a burner, can keep up with them better than Okposo, who now won’t be able to keep up with Erod and Smith instead. No easy decisions for coach clueless it seems. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree Sobotka sucks. But at least he’s on the 4th line now, and is a better fit there than Thompson if Housley is looking to use them as more of a defense first, grinder line like he normally does. 

That O'Reily trade... not so good.

I know they had to let him go, but they got a guy who isn't there any more, a fourth-liner, a shaky G starter who's being pushed by a kid with more potential, and a first rounder.  The only hope is that the first round pick turns out.  As of now, it looks like we'd get it this year if St. Louis stays where they are overall, and it is a deep first round, by reports.

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I know they had to let him go, but they got a guy who isn't there any more, a fourth-liner, a shaky G starter who's being pushed by a kid with more potential, and a first rounder.  The only hope is that the first round pick turns out.  As of now, it looks like we'd get it this year if St. Louis stays where they are overall, and it is a deep first round, by reports.

Hutton wasn't part of that trade, Tage Thompson was.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, snafu said:

You can also hold out hope that they find a good use for the unexpected cap relief they got.  It may very well be a blessing in disguise in a couple years.

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

You can also hold out hope that they find a good use for the unexpected cap relief they got.  It may very well be a blessing in disguise in a couple years.

We live in hope and die in despair. ?

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

From a short term and talent standpoint the ROR trade hurt the team. But as you noted it gave us future cap relief and the ability to sign or resign players. Also,  Mittelstad got a lot of playing time as the center on the second or lesser lines because of the departure of the ROR. So hopefully, the additional playing time that the younger player receives will accelerate his development. I think he is really going to be good in the not too distant future. Although the production isn't there now the offensive talent is evident. 

ROR was the team captain when he was in Buffalo. When he left Jack became the captain and leader of the team. It seems to me that the players are more receptive to respond to Jack than to the more introverted O'Reilly. Another aspect to this deal is that Botterill wanted to upgrade the speed of the team. Last year, we were one of the slowest teams in the league. Our defensive unit and our forward lines are collectively faster. That is important in a league that is becoming faster and more skilled. 

When everything is tallied it is evident that in the short term we lost more than we gained. But in the long term the pendulum should swing in our favor. And if that extra first round pick becomes a chip in a significant signing then the deal would even look better. 

“Many of the Sabres enjoying playing meaningful games in February (for the first time)”

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/many-sabres-are-enjoying-meaningful-games-february

McCabe knows many of his teammates are like him. He said, “A lot of the guys in this room have been here for some really tough stretches, so to be playing meaningful hockey in February right in the thick of a playoff race is really important for us as a group because we haven’t experienced that.”

A lot of guys have been lucky enough to be in the playoffs and it will bring another aspect to our game with the guys that have been there showing us guys that haven’t been there and guys need to dig in and find more to give every single night because I don’t think you’re going to find a hungrier group to make the playoffs than in here.”

I know I’ve already mentioned this, but I really do think the bolded could be part of the thought process behind (not the whole reason, but in part) why Housley keeps veterans like Sobotka and Scandella in the lineup. They offer important first hand playoff experience to a group that’s sorely lacking it. 

I also wonder, if you start healthy scratching those guys on a regular basis, will it start to take some weight away from their words in the locker room (similar to what we saw happen to Josh Gorges in his last season or two here)? 

I’d imagine it’s probably harder for a guy to lead if he doesn’t really have a regular role on the team. I am sure some guys would be less inclined to listen to a veteran that is your 13th forward or #7 defenseman vs. a guy who is out there on the ice every night, battling with you. 

So many of what we consider to be our core have no playoff experience - Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, even Skinner (hopefully). Same goes for guys like McCabe, Girgensons, Larsson, Rodriguez, Nelson. You can even include rookies like Mitts, Dahlin, Pilut, Thompson. I mean, what is that, almost 3/4 of the team? 

When you look at all the guys we have with no playoff experience, it’s not that surprising our coach and GM are keeping the very few veteran players we have (with playoff experience) in the lineup. 

Meaningful games in February? What a sad commentary it is that we have sucked so bad for so long that it’s considered a high mark not to be out of playoff contention with 30 games still left to play for a change. 

Here’s a thought for those players so thrilled to be playing meaningful games in February: the games from October through January are every bit as meaningful. Treat those games just as crucial to success and you’re gonna be assured of playing meaningful games in April and beyond. 

But hey, it’s February and we’re not out of it yet. WHIPPEE!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Meaningful games in February? What a sad commentary it is that we have sucked so bad for so long that it’s considered a high mark not to be out of playoff contention with 30 games still left to play for a change. 

Here’s a thought for those players so thrilled to be playing meaningful games in February: the games from October through January are every bit as meaningful. Treat those games just as crucial to success and you’re gonna be assured of playing meaningful games in April and beyond. 

If only they had considered those December and January games to be meaningful.

The below link is a 10 min discussion with Chad DeDominicis on WGR. I was reluctant to post it because I fear that the combustible Plezmd becomes even more flammable after listening to this interview where he criticizes some of Housley's decisions. Chad uses the analytics to support his positions. It's a good discussion that very much mirrors our discussions here. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-07-chad-dedominicis-die-blade-howard-and-jeremy

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The below link is a 10 min discussion with Chad DeDominicis on WGR. I was reluctant to post it because I fear that the combustible Plezmd becomes even more flammable after listening to this interview where he criticizes some of Housley's decisions. Chad uses the analytics to support his positions. It's a good discussion that very much mirrors our discussions here. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/02-07-chad-dedominicis-die-blade-howard-and-jeremy

can't listen now, but I assume if he says Housley sucks, he is right!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Headed to the game. Let’s hope for a win!

If the Sabres win Plezmd will still complain about how Housley juggled the lines. When it comes to the coach he can be very robotic and programmed. To his credit he is consistent. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

You've been critical of my realism/tough-love takes on the Bills..........but you are far more unforgiving of the Sabres than I have been of the Bills.   This thread has been a lot more entertaining than the Tankres.:lol: