Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

A couple of things

1) Matthews only 5 years eh? I am guessing he is an UFA then...

2) if I ain't getting playoffs this year, at leastIi got tonight in the middle of winter. Gunna be mid low 60's at 7:45( when i will start to watch) and drop to mid 50's by end of game. Perfect night for a porch, a fire, a beer(or 6), and me swearing at Housley!!!

And a cigar.

Edit:  Then you can switch over to the State of the Union and swear at Trump.

Edited by snafu

if the Sabres spit another two-goal lead, the Hurricanes win and the Blue Jackets win...end of Housley?

yep, spit the two-goal lead...got a one lead in the third...spit it too!!!!

all this from a coach who supposedly understands coaching D !!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

if the Sabres spit another two-goal lead, the Hurricanes win and the Blue Jackets win...end of Housley?

yep, spit the two-goal lead...got a one lead in the third...spit it too!!!!

all this from a coach who supposedly understands coaching D !!!!

If the stock market crashes are you going to blame Housley? 

If your hemorrhoids are on fire after eating a very hot pepper are you going to blame Housely? 

If it rains and you are driving a convertible with the top down are you going to blame Housely?

If you get up at four in the morning to drive 100 miles to make an appointment only to learn that the appointment was for the next day are you going to blame Housley? 

If you over-indulge with your favorite alcoholic beverage and fall flat on your face and break you nose are you going to blame Housley. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you that the Sabres won against a good team. It's gotten so bad that not only can't you handle losses but you can't handle wins. I sincerely fear for your well being. Don't bother discussing your blues with your nephew because you have already contaminated him. So he won't be very helpful in uplifting your sagging spirits. :)

If I were issuing stars I would give it to Reinhart, Jack and Ulmark. I thought Reinhart was the first start for us. Jack demonstrated on some of his challenged rushes where he blows past his defender that he is one of the premier players in the league.

There were stretches where the Sabres scrambled in their own end resulting in scores and good chances for the Wild.

I don't like Skinner not being on the Jack line. He is a lot less effective without Jack.

A wins a win. We needed it.   

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If I were issuing stars I would give it to Reinhart, Jack and Ulmark. I thought Reinhart was the first start for us. Jack demonstrated on some of his challenged rushes where he blows past his defender that he is one of the premier players in the league.

There were stretches where the Sabres scrambled in their own end resulting in scores and good chances for the Wild.

I don't like Skinner not being on the Jack line. He is a lot less effective without Jack.

Agreed. A win is a win and it was much needed.

But I must put a little cloud in your silver lining and that is that again, as has been the case for most of the season and nearly all of the post streak schedule, they were outplayed for most of the game and again demonstrated a totally unsustainable formula for success. We won but showed no improvement in doing so. 

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Agreed. A win is a win and it was much needed.

But I must put a little cloud in your silver lining and that is that again, as has been the case for most of the season and nearly all of the post streak schedule, they were outplayed for most of the game and again demonstrated a totally unsustainable formula for success. We won but showed no improvement in doing so. 

Buffalo played a choppy game. That's not surprising because of the jumbling of the lines and  pairings. Minnesota isn't an elite team but they are a good team. I'm not looking for silver linings with this team. I know what they are and where they rank. There are clearly deficiencies with the roster that need to be addressed. I expect changes/additions will be made in the offseason. Right now we just have to go with what we got and hope that the young guys get better. From what I have observed it seems that Mittelstadt is steadily getting better. 

11 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

No can do, been a little over 10 years quit on the Marlboro Reds...not a mg of nicotine since ...to my ever loving chagrin...i do miss the cigars more than the butts I think!!!

You know what's weird about being a reformed smoker? The oddball craving months or years later out of the blue.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Correct, and things like this are what inspire zero confidence in Housley.  Change things up by breaking up your best line?  Sounds smart.

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the stock market crashes are you going to blame Housley? 

If your hemorrhoids are on fire after eating a very hot pepper are you going to blame Housely? 

If it rains and you are driving a convertible with the top down are you going to blame Housely?

If you get up at four in the morning to drive 100 miles to make an appointment only to learn that the appointment was for the next day are you going to blame Housley? 

If you over-indulge with your favorite alcoholic beverage and fall flat on your face and break you nose are you going to blame Housley. 

Oh, I forgot to tell you that the Sabres won against a good team. It's gotten so bad that not only can't you handle losses but you can't handle wins. I sincerely fear for your well being. Don't bother discussing your blues with your nephew because you have already contaminated him. So he won't be very helpful in uplifting your sagging spirits. :)

i can blame Housley for just about anything....but especially a defense and team that continues to spit leads at an alarming rate, and one where the quick goal against after a goal for continues to plague this team.

And while the win is good, let's not kid ourselves that they point a point at risk last because they could not close out periods with leads. Putting your fate in the hands of lucky bounces in an OT or pucks barely making it across a line in a shootout is not a recipe for sustained success..or a playoff push.

BTW, the beer was oh so delicious on the porch last night!!! Thursday supposed to even nicer, and a HUGE game that night!

As Chuck Thompson used to say after an Orioles win"ain't the beer cold"

2 hours ago, eball said:

Correct, and things like this are what inspire zero confidence in Housley.  Change things up by breaking up your best line?  Sounds smart.

I respectfully disagree with you on this issue. The team was struggling for an extended period of time. Something had to be done to shake things up. Trying something different to spark the mostly impotent secondary lines was the right thing to do. In this game it worked out well. What Housley did in shaking up the lines and defensive pairing is the standard tool that coaches use when their teams hit a bad stretch. It's like in baseball when a batter is not hitting well sometimes the manager lowers or even raises the struggling player just for the sake of a change and different look. I doubt that the change that Housley made is permanent. 

It's apparent to me and you that Skinner was hurt by the lineup alteration. But the trade-off is that the other lines were upgraded. So when you add the plusses and minuses (in my opinion) this lineup strategy worked. Ultimately, a win is a win. I'll gladly take that outcome. 

Let's ignore for a second the position of any upcoming team on the schedule.  This is the point where they need to string together a few wins.  Lately the pattern has been win one, lose 2-3.  That very quickly drops you down the standings.  It needs to end.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i can blame Housley for just about anything....but especially a defense and team that continues to spit leads at an alarming rate, and one where the quick goal against after a goal for continues to plague this team.

And while the win is good, let's not kid ourselves that they point a point at risk last because they could not close out periods with leads. Putting your fate in the hands of lucky bounces in an OT or pucks barely making it across a line in a shootout is not a recipe for sustained success..or a playoff push.

BTW, the beer was oh so delicious on the porch last night!!! Thursday supposed to even nicer, and a HUGE game that night!

As Chuck Thompson used to say after an Orioles win"ain't the beer cold"

Maybe curtailing your imbibing might result in more sober thinking? :)

When the Sabres lose you complain. When the Sabres win you complain. The obvious conclusion is that you are inherently a complainer. Your persona has become very dark and dour. When you go for a walk on a bright sunny and cloudless day in the summer do you carry an umbrella with you because you are expecting an imminent torrential rain? You are working too hard to be negative about Housley. A win is a win.