Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

On another note, what would it take to pry Barzal away from the Isles? He's a fantastic player. 

BTW, we are happy as hell for Lehner. Great comeback story as well. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that I only became aware of Lehner's back story recently. Read his article on the Athletic, Jesus. Best part was how the Sabres GM Jason Botterill kept in contact with Lehner.

Barzal to the Sabres? The teams have exchanged some decent players over the years:

Peca, LaFontaine, Turgeon, Vanek (did nothing for us), Okposo, Moulson, Krupp.

Fun Fact I: on the last day of the 89-90 season Krupp scored an overtime goal against the Penguins. Just before that,  the Islanders had won at home and they put the Sabres/Pens game on the scoreboard. The Krupp goal eliminated the Pens and put the Isles in the playoffs.

Fun Fact II: Jason Botterill's wife Jennifer does in-game analysis for the Islanders.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I don’t care about other markets and their fans. And as I stated, the NHL has pretty much legislated the trap out of the game — and what the rules changes didn’t accomplish, offensive strategy did.  As to whether the US and Canadien tv brass would choose to televise, I don’t care. Furthermore, teams with winning records can’t be ignored in the playoffs. I’m not going to guess whether offensive minded players would want to sign or go.  I honestly don’t know and your guess is as good or as bad as mine.

Sports IS about entertainment. And winning is entertainment if it’s my team winning. By the way, using last night’s game as an example is a poor choice, as I thought the Islanders played a much more dynamic game than the Sabres from mid-second period to the end. I sat and watched all of it. Did you?

If our Buffalo Bills win a lot of games predominately with defense and a running game, wouldn’t you watch?  I’m sure you did last season when Tyrod was the uninspired QB and they made it to the playoffs.  

So the Sabres can win with panache or they can win with a boring style, I could not care less. 

I did watch the whole game. If this style of game was replicated in most of the Sabre games I would not buy the Directv Hockey Central package. I wouldn't waste my time and money. That is not to say that I wouldn't root for the team but I wouldn't spend much time watching such a grinding and unentertaining product. 

With respect to the Buffalo Bills and the Tyrod Taylor era I didn't watch all the games because the offense was so inept it was unwatchable. On some good weathered weekends I preferred being outside instead of being stuck inside watching bad football. 

We simply have different preferences. I'm not saying you are wrong. What's right for you isn't right for me. 

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

You and I have different tastes. I hate his brand of hockey. Sports are supposed to be entertaining. This suffocating style of play is unwatchable, at least for me. Jeff Skinner does not sign a deal with a Lou influenced team. I can guarantee you that. Few talented free agents would be interested in playing for an organization promoting such an antiquated brand of hockey. I'm very confident in saying that Tavares is relieved that he doesn't have to play for a team run by this old school tight fisted boss.

If you like watching this style of play then that's your choice. If the Sabres were winning with greater frequency playing that wretched way I would tune out. I'm not saying this to be dramatic. From an entertainment standpoint it is unappealing. I would not pay a penny for a ticket to watch such a grinding style of play that shackles the talents of the players.  

I have little interest in garbage hockey. If you want to kill this sport then make Italian Lou the commissioner. Some people are enthralled with the stone age. I'm not one of them.  

Agreed...this is why I dislike high level soccer. I appreciate the skill involved but at that level it becomes waiting 90 minutes for the two mistakes that occur per game.

Edit:

to build on the conversation. Yes, the nhl has tried to eliminate the trap/lock whatever you want to call it, but the islanders are now using their center in place of where a winger would have been in the old system. Barzal is as a dynamic player as you can get, but do you remember any notable plays from him that didn’t occur from sustained o-zone pressure? They always have two men on the puck. Until they gained o-zone possession his job is completely support. I’m not saying it’s not a way to win, but again I agree with John..,it’s boring as F to watch.

Edited by Kevbeau
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

Agreed...this is why I dislike high level soccer. I appreciate the skill involved but at that level it becomes waiting 90 minutes for the two mistakes that occur per game.

Edit:

to build on the conversation. Yes, the nhl has tried to eliminate the trap/lock whatever you want to call it, but the islanders are now using their center in place of where a winger would have been in the old system. Barzal is as a dynamic player as you can get, but do you remember any notable plays from him that didn’t occur from sustained o-zone pressure? They always have two men on the puck. Until they gained o-zone possession his job is completely support. I’m not saying it’s not a way to win, but again I agree with John..,it’s boring as F to watch.

As you noted Barzal is an electrifying talent. The shame of his circumstances is that his talent is being suppressed in this robotic stifling defensive style of play. A player capable of making beautiful plays is submerged in a stifling system. The game and the fans lose out not being able to see him exhibit his special talents. 

I'm not criticizing anyone who prefers or is more amenable to that boss Lou style of play. I'm just not one of them, and will never be. Watching sports for me is not a life and death activity (hyperbolic point). It's about the entertainment value. When not satisfied I go to another option. Simple as that. 

Edited by JohnC

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

Absolutely not! You can take your Italian Lou dinosaur approach to hockey and watch robotic hockey. The problem with these rigid and soulless systems is that it kills the product and results in talented players wanting out and talented players not wanting in. If you think that Eichel would relish playing this brand of hockey you are mistaken. If he had problems with Bylsma and his structured system how do you think he would tolerate the old school Lou system? If you find this type of suffocating hockey entertaining then good for you. It's not something I would find acceptable. If it were the case I would exercise my prerogative and change the channel to watch a college game. No thank you!

I think you missed the point.  It has nothing to do with Lou's style of play (btw, he's not the coach).

I'm wondering how you can square your preaching for patience for a perpetually losing franchise remaining a bottom dweller, while praising another moribound franchise's rise.  Based on your logic, Isles should have retained Doug Weight because he had a decent end as the interim coach in 2016

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I only became aware of Lehner's back story recently. Read his article on the Athletic, Jesus. Best part was how the Sabres GM Jason Botterill kept in contact with Lehner.

Barzal to the Sabres? The teams have exchanged some decent players over the years:

Peca, LaFontaine, Turgeon, Vanek (did nothing for us), Okposo, Moulson, Krupp.

Fun Fact I: on the last day of the 89-90 season Krupp scored an overtime goal against the Penguins. Just before that,  the Islanders had won at home and they put the Sabres/Pens game on the scoreboard. The Krupp goal eliminated the Pens and put the Isles in the playoffs.

Fun Fact II: Jason Botterill's wife Jennifer does in-game analysis for the Islanders.

Lehner's story is truly inspiring. And it speaks well of Botterill and the Sabres organization who have supported him throughout his recovery. 

Yeah, the Sabres and Islanders have had some trades over the years,  that's for sure.  So feel free to give us Barzal any time you grow tired of him.

I think Moulson more than offsets Vanek, but at least Vanek is still in the league while Moulson toils away for the Reign in Ontario, CA. :lol: 

An Uwe Krupp mention! Wunderbar!

Interesting tidbit about JBott's wife. He should consult her for scouting information. 

Anyway, good luck the rest of the season. Except for March 30th. 

Cheers! :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

I did watch the whole game. If this style of game was replicated in most of the Sabre games I would not buy the Directv Hockey Central package. I wouldn't waste my time and money. That is not to say that I wouldn't root for the team but I wouldn't spend much time watching such a grinding and unentertaining product. 

With respect to the Buffalo Bills and the Tyrod Taylor era I didn't watch all the games because the offense was so inept it was unwatchable. On some good weathered weekends I preferred being outside instead of being stuck inside watching bad football. 

We simply have different preferences. I'm not saying you are wrong. What's right for you isn't right for me. 

I'm guessing you didn't watch during most of the Hasek years and much of the last 7 years.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Lehner's story is truly inspiring. And it speaks well of Botterill and the Sabres organization who have supported him throughout his recovery. 

Yeah, the Sabres and Islanders have had some trades over the years,  that's for sure.  So feel free to give us Barzal any time you grow tired of him.

I think Moulson more than offsets Vanek, but at least Vanek is still in the league while Moulson toils away for the Reign in Ontario, CA. :lol: 

Interesting tidbit about JBott's wife. He should consult her for scouting information. 

I hate bringing it up because I'm so sick of that topic, but looking back on the Vanek trade, it could have been so good for Buffalo had they not turned that draft pick into Lehner.

And no john, please don't turn that into an explanation of why draft picks should never be traded.  I'm sure we can come up with plenty of examples where it worked out just fine.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm guessing you didn't watch during most of the Hasek years and much of the last 7 years.

No I didn't. I was living out of town so I didn't watch many Sabre games. Last year, I had the hockey package. I stopped watching the games. They were unpalatable. I also was not going to renew the football package if Tyrod was going to be our starter for the following season. He was traded. So I renewed. 

4 hours ago, GG said:

I think you missed the point.  It has nothing to do with Lou's style of play (btw, he's not the coach).

I'm wondering how you can square your preaching for patience for a perpetually losing franchise remaining a bottom dweller, while praising another moribound franchise's rise.  Based on your logic, Isles should have retained Doug Weight because he had a decent end as the interim coach in 2016

The Sabres are probably going to be 25 or more points better than the previous year. And with the development of their young players they should be better next year. The course they are on is very sound and is working.

With respect to the Islanders I have little interest in watching them. From an entertainment standpoint they are very bland and not worth watching. If you like watching them then knock yourself out. It's not a style of hockey I'm interest in. 

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Two more notes and then I'll leave you guys alone until late March.

I'm kicking myself for leaving Clark Gillies off the list of guys that played for the Islanders and Sabres. He was my favorite Islander during the Cup years. 

When Uwe Krupp was down here the newspapers ran stories when he'd run his sled dogs in the streets after a snow storm.

Now go out and crush the Rangers tomorrow night. But watch out for Zibanejad, he's been hot as hell lately.

7 hours ago, shrader said:

I hate bringing it up because I'm so sick of that topic, but looking back on the Vanek trade, it could have been so good for Buffalo had they not turned that draft pick into Lehner.

And no john, please don't turn that into an explanation of why draft picks should never be traded.  I'm sure we can come up with plenty of examples where it worked out just fine.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me but if you are when did I say that draft picks should never be traded? That is an outright baseless fabrication (assuming you are referring to me.)  Let's be clear, I'm not against making deals. What I'm strenuously against is dealing off valuable assets for a short term and immediate gain just to potentially help this team make a wild-card playoff spot. 

I'm hoping that our GM can make a deal/s in the offseason when bigger deals are more likely to occur. An example of that would be the Skinner deal which has worked out wonderfully for us.  

I don't want to be rude but I don't appreciate your gross mischaracterization of my position. Maybe I'm inaccurately jumping to a conclusion because you are referring to another John's position? 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres are probably going to be 25 or more points better than the previous year. And with the development of their young players they should be better next year. The course they are on is very sound and is working.

With respect to the Islanders I have little interest in watching them. From an entertainment standpoint they are very bland and not worth watching. If you like watching them then knock yourself out. It's not a style of hockey I'm interest in. 

You pretend to know a lot about a team you don’t watch? For a team who lost Tavares, they have scored 3 fewer goals than the Sabres and have allowed the fewest goals in the NHL. They are far from as boring as you profess. Ok we get it, you watched some Devils games a bunch of years ago. Blah, blah! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigMcD said:

You pretend to know a lot about a team you don’t watch? For a team who lost Tavares, they have scored 3 fewer goals than the Sabres and have allowed the fewest goals in the NHL. They are far from as boring as you profess. Ok we get it, you watched some Devils games a bunch of years ago. Blah, blah! 

If you like to watch the Islanders then go watch them and enjoy the experience.