Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I didn’t hear the presser, but I just read a few of his comments. 

I now have concerns about Botterill as well. 

Not because he’s retaining Housley as I can understand that in his position as GM. Rather, it’s his hackneyed rhetoric about “being in games” that has me worried. This team has “been in games” and “competing” hard for years. They were “in games” last year and under Bylsma, too. Indeed, the second half of Bylsma’s first season saw the team play at a 96 point pace for an entire season. Something Housley hasn’t come close to replicating, even with much of the same team Bylsma team last year. 

“Being in games” and “competing” is the BARE minimum for admittance to the league and not some achievement to be celebrated. Every team competes hard on most nights over a long season.This idea of “being in games” and “competing” is a loser’s lament. A sign that the people in charge are confusing effort with results which is a huge cause for concern.

It is also a huge slap in the face and an insult to the intelligence of the fan base. 

Lets see how patient Botterill remains if the season continues at the same 11-18-5 post streak pace to finish out the year. 

That is the one part of the interview that made me cringe a bit. Botterill kind of stumble with his answer. You could tell the way Harrington worded the question that it caught botterill off guard. “It’s a situation where” Botterill is not a very good public speaker to begin with though.... lol

Being in games is not the only reason he gave for retaining housley. He gave numerous reasons throughout the interview. 

But It’s still true, the Sabres have been in almost every game this year and that was not really the case in 2015 or 2016 or 2017. There were games where buffalo didn’t even look like they belonged in the ice with the other team. There were large stretches of games where all they’d do is defend, chip the puck into the neutral zone and go right back to defending again. Or they’d get down by a goal and it was game over. Everyone hanging their heads. 

I agree that being in games and competing should be the expectation for every single NHl team. It’s a low bar. But sadly, that really was not the reality here in buffalo these past 5 years.So as sad as it is, just being competitive in every game is a step forward.  

Oh, and BTW I believe housley beat that 2nd half of 2015 point pace the first half of this year.

The record from the first half of this season was better than the record from the 2nd half of 2015. They were 22-20 (with 6 OT losses. 50 points) this year and 20-22 (with 7 OT losses. 47pts) the second half of 2015. So the first half of this year was a better point pace if my math is right...

It would be a 101 pt. pace vs. a 94 pt. pace. 

48 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That is the one part of the interview that made me cringe a bit. Botterill kind of stumble with his answer. You could tell the way Harrington worded the question that it caught botterill off guard. “It’s a situation where” Botterill is not a very good public speaker to begin with though.... lol

Being in games is not the only reason he gave for retaining housley. He gave numerous reasons throughout the interview. 

But It’s still true, the Sabres have been in almost every game this year and that was not really the case in 2015 or 2016 or 2017. There were games where buffalo didn’t even look like they belonged in the ice with the other team. There were large stretches of games where all they’d do is defend, chip the puck into the neutral zone and go right back to defending again. Or they’d get down by a goal and it was game over. Everyone hanging their heads. 

I agree that being in games and competing should be the expectation for every single NHl team. It’s a low bar. But sadly, that really was not the reality here in buffalo these past 5 years.So as sad as it is, just being competitive in every game is a step forward.  

Oh, and BTW I believe housley beat that 2nd half of 2015 point pace the first half of this year.

The record from the first half of this season was better than the record from the 2nd half of 2015. They were 22-20 (with 6 OT losses. 50 points) this year and 20-22 (with 7 OT losses. 47pts) the second half of 2015. So the first half of this year was a better point pace if my math is right...

It would be a 101 pt. pace vs. a 94 pt. pace. 

Then by all means, Housley needs to be in the discussion for coach of the year! Bylsma’s pace may have been post All Star break, so it wouldn’t have been an even season split. Doesn’t matter. 

Seriously though, Housley leading them to a great record in the first half (actually first two months)  has nothing to do with today. Nothing. It was ENTIRELY the result of a completely fluke 10 game win streak. Question: was it the great coaching or crappy players that brought us that streak? It’s been so long I can’t remember. 

What’s his pace since the streak ended? It was at 67 points going into the Panther game. Not much better than the 62 for last year’s season. And counting. 

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players. Really? Because they look like nothing is sinking in. But hey, they compete hard, so yippee!

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Then by all means, Housley needs to be in the discussion for coach of the year! Bylsma’s pace may have been post All Star break, so it wouldn’t have been an even season split. Doesn’t matter. 

Seriously though, Housley leading them to a great record in the first half (actually first two months)  has nothing to do with today. Nothing. It was ENTIRELY the result of a completely fluke 10 game win streak. Question: was it the great coaching or crappy players that brought us that streak? It’s been so long I can’t remember. 

What’s his pace since the streak ended? It was at 67 points going into the Panther game. Not much better than the 62 for last year’s season. And counting. 

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players. Really? Because they look like nothing is sinking in. But hey, they compete hard, so yippee!

I wasn’t saying anything about housley being coach of the year.

The only reason I even brought up anything about the records of housley vs Bylsma is because you said that Bylsma went on a 94 point pace in the 2nd half of his first season and that is something housley has not come close to replicating. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Anyway, I found Botterill’s quotes lacking in a huge way. Especially that bull crap about how Housely and the staff do such a great job communicating with the players.

Let's be fair.  The players show up for practice and games. So communication isn't really a huge problem. Low on the list.

And let's be honest.  Botterill has to either blast his coach and then can him, or he needs to support the coach publicly.  He already said Housley isn't getting fired.  I've wanted the team to cut their losses and fire Housley.  Now that it looks like he's sticking around, I think he's got to stay through this year and at least next year at a minimum.  The reason is that Botterill is going to keep trying to bring in Housley-system guys.  Then, once everything is in place and the team still sucks, Housley gets fired.

52 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wasn’t saying anything about housley being coach of the year.

The only reason I even brought up anything about the records of housley vs Bylsma is because you said that Bylsma went on a 94 point pace in the 2nd half of his first season and that is something housley has not come close to replicating. 

OK, not only did Housley come close to replicating Bylsma's post All Star game pace of 96 points, he smashed it! 

In the first six weeks of the season. 

Because of a 10 game win streak. 

Isn't there an old sports adage about not where you start, but how you finish? 

Housley's been on a 67 point pace since December, and falling. And, even though they sit at one point better than last year's 62 points, they will be hard pressed to equal Bylsma's season worst of 78 points. 

Should have kept Rolston!

54 minutes ago, snafu said:

Let's be fair.  The players show up for practice and games. So communication isn't really a huge problem. Low on the list.

And let's be honest.  Botterill has to either blast his coach and then can him, or he needs to support the coach publicly.  He already said Housley isn't getting fired.  I've wanted the team to cut their losses and fire Housley.  Now that it looks like he's sticking around, I think he's got to stay through this year and at least next year at a minimum.  The reason is that Botterill is going to keep trying to bring in Housley-system guys.  Then, once everything is in place and the team still sucks, Housley gets fired.

Botterill can support his coach publicly without insulting the intelligence of long suffering fans by offering platitudes and cliches about effort. 

Or, maybe not. 

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Botterill can support his coach publicly without insulting the intelligence of long suffering fans by offering platitudes and cliches about effort. 

Or, maybe not.

Botterill and Housley are like BF/GF.

WE can talk about what an ugly witch loser Hously is, But Botterill can't.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

Botterill and Housley are like BF/GF.

WE can talk about what an ugly witch loser Hously is, But Botterill can't.

I fully understand the position Botterill is in and I'd never suggest he throw Housley under the bus. I'd find that unprofessional and unacceptable. 

But I also cannot accept the turd sandwich he threw out there for our consumption yesterday. I had hoped he was smarter than that. Worse, he may actually believe that giving effort and playing hard is some sort of achievement, when it's the bare minimum requirement. No great shakes in that department and I give Housley no credit for that. Every team in the league plays hard most nights. 

Like I said, it sounds like Botterill and Co. are confusing effort with results. This team has been treading water, nothing more. 

And if Housley needs "his players" to implement "his system" and we need to wait years for that or we have to wait for a team full of All Stars before we can say he's a good coach or not is a crock, imo. Good coaches can exhibit good traits, regardless of the talent level on their team. They especially need show good coaching ability when the talent level isn't optimal. I've seen precious little of that from him so far. 

But I'm sure he'll be a great coach when he has that team of All Stars at his disposal. 

I need someone to help here. I am such a bad  sports gambler outside of NFL, I really want to unload on this game at + 215 as I feel it should be closer to +350... someone knows something. 

Just upped a bit, don’t want to go on tilt to much , but something just smells fishy here. Either way, kinda warm tonight, expected to be 49 game time, 40 at 10. Yes @Augie, that is warm. Outside game tonight plenty o Genny’s, nice bet on the Sabres nose, good fire  , good Thursday night. 

16 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I need someone to help here. I am such a bad  sports gambler outside of NFL, I really want to unload on this game at + 215 as I feel it should be closer to +350... someone knows something. 

Just upped a bit, don’t want to go on tilt to much , but something just smells fishy here. Either way, kinda warm tonight, expected to be 49 game time, 40 at 10. Yes @Augie, that is warm. Outside game tonight plenty o Genny’s, nice bet on the Sabres nose, good fire  , good Thursday night. 

Will you be wearing pants, for a change? 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I fully understand the position Botterill is in and I'd never suggest he throw Housley under the bus. I'd find that unprofessional and unacceptable. 

But I also cannot accept the turd sandwich he threw out there for our consumption yesterday. I had hoped he was smarter than that. Worse, he may actually believe that giving effort and playing hard is some sort of achievement, when it's the bare minimum requirement. No great shakes in that department and I give Housley no credit for that. Every team in the league plays hard most nights. 

Like I said, it sounds like Botterill and Co. are confusing effort with results. This team has been treading water, nothing more. 

And if Housley needs "his players" to implement "his system" and we need to wait years for that or we have to wait for a team full of All Stars before we can say he's a good coach or not is a crock, imo. Good coaches can exhibit good traits, regardless of the talent level on their team. They especially need show good coaching ability when the talent level isn't optimal. I've seen precious little of that from him so far. 

But I'm sure he'll be a great coach when he has that team of All Stars at his disposal. 

Maybe it is just me being a skeptic, but unless a GM is announcing an injury, a trade, a lineup change, details of a new contract, or a coaching change, I just expect to be served a turd sandwich.

As for Housley, I’ve pretty much already said what I think about system coaches.  They, to me, are a waste of time — especially if they don’t work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Maybe it is just me being a skeptic, but unless a GM is announcing an injury, a trade, a lineup change, details of a new contract, or a coaching change, I just expect to be served a turd sandwich.

As for Housley, I’ve pretty much already said what I think about system coaches.  They, to me, are a waste of time — especially if they don’t work out. 

I agree about expecting turd sandwiches. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be called out when they do offer it up, though.

Some turd sandwiches are more revealing than others. As such, I’m concerned about what Botterill considers progress and success.

• Like (+1) 1

Damn, that’s brutal. All 3 scratched for precautionary reasons (the trade deadline is Monday). Probably means all 3 are gone. We know Duchene is for sure (and they still owe the Avs their 1st this year, which could be #1 oa), and now it seems likely Stone and Dzingel are gone too (and both supposedly wanted to stay). 

Poor Ottawa fans. 

(and they are down 4-0 to NJ)

Edited by BillsFan4

I’m sure Botterill and Housely are quite pleased with tonight’s game. It checked all their boxes for success: they gave effort, they were in it to the very end, and...well, that’s about it. 

Moral victories are for losers. 

• Like (+1) 1

Disappointing that they didn’t get 2pts but I can’t really be mad they lost to Tampa in a shootout. 

They played a good game tonight against far and away the best team in the NHL.

Definitely got pretty chippy. Emotions were running high. It honestly felt a bit like a playoff game in that regard. 

If you didn’t enjoy watching that game, it’s probably time to take a break from Sabres hockey. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m sure Botterill and Housely are quite pleased with tonight’s game. It checked all their boxes for success: they gave effort, they were in it to the very end, and...well, that’s about it. 

Moral victories are for losers. 

What's to complain about? They played a cup contending and loaded team as well as they could. They played hard and battled all the way through. What more can you ask for? Tampa has multiple potent scorers while we don't. This is a game where Housley and the GM should be pleased because as you described it checked all the boxes. It's understandable that when a team doesn't play well that it deserves criticism. But when it plays to its abilities then it should be acknowledged. 

Hutton was our best player and kept us in the game. The Sabres played a tight game all the way through with few breakdowns. I was more than pleased with how the Sabres played against a very superior team. .