Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I am not sure of his numbers, but I do know that plus /minus is just not used anymore in evaluating players. 

Even if +/- was still an important indicator, Ekman-Larsson is no where near Risto. 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thats the rub..who still thinks he is a good defenseman? We need an old school GM you does not believe in Analytics and still like a "physical D Man who doles out hits"..and does not look at expected goals for and against when he is on the ice, possession numbers, high danger chances etc..all areas Risto is just plain awful. 

I can't see Tampa taking him....but their D is old and unsigned for next year and they are up against the cap, so maybe they would. I could see Bergevin maybe taking him. I dont know who else would..his numbers are just that bad.

I say you offer Point at the $10M, which is simply two firsts, a second and a third...and structure it a 4 year deal so he is hitting UFA again at 27..if he doesn't take it at least we hurting Tampa cap. Same with Marner if that does not work with Point..if he stays put the screws to the Leafs.

Enough of being friendly..and yep, you gunna have to face the music when #26 hits RFA..but this team needs is desperate..they need to do something to jump start this thing , especially if Housley starts  next year behind the bench

You are deteriorating. It's bad enough that you want to get rid of the coach but now you want to get rid of the GM. What's next? Start a partition to get rid of the owner? You are incorrigible.

In no way am I going to give a highly prized free agent a bonanza contract with the purpose of squeezing an organization such as Toronto that is in a tight cap box. Poking the bear is a good way of in the future getting shiiit on by the same bear. When you kick a team in the nuts when they are vulnerable you are inviting future kick in the nuts for yourself. There are beneficial deals to be made with teams that can't afford or don't want to pay their free agent players the lofty price that is demanded. A good example of that is the Skinner deal with Carolina. 

Just now, JohnC said:

You are deteriorating. It's bad enough that you want to get rid of the coach but now you want to get rid of the GM. What's next? Start a partition to get rid of the owner? You are incorrigible.

In no way am I going to give a highly prized free agent a bonanza contract with the purpose of squeezing an organization such as Toronto that is in a tight cap box. Poking the bear is a good way of in the future getting shiiit on by the same bear. When you kick a team in the nuts when they are vulnerable you are inviting future kick in the nuts for yourself. There are beneficial deals to be made with teams that can't afford or don't want to pay their free agent players the lofty price that is demanded. A good example of that is the Skinner deal with Carolina. 

I was prolly not as clear as I should have been, that's on me. What I meant is that in order for the  Sabres to find a trade partner for Risto, the other team needs to have an old school GM who believes the Eye test is worth more than the story told by the analytics. Risto untradeable to a guy like Dubas in TO.

And I have no idea why you would not offer sheet players. I would think there are going to be more than a few this year..and what do you have to lose if you are GMJB. He gets fired next year if they don't make the playoffs..so who cares at that point.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brian-burke-offer-sheets-william-nylander-trading-chris-pronger/

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Risto is a point getting defensemen. Problem is, he’s not much of a point preventing defensemen. I like Risto as he’s one of our only players with any kind of jam in his game. And it’s unfair that he’s logged big minutes against top opponents since he arrived. Ideally, he would be paired with a more defensive oriented partner. His pairing with Scandella is not his fault, either. 

Ekman-Larsson is simply a better player, both offensively and defensively. Like Erik Karlsson, he drives offensive play on a shift to shift basis since he’s been in the league. Not sure he’s worth three firsts or not, but he’d fetch more than Risto at this stage. 

I don’t necessarily want to trade him as I think he’d be more effective paired with a better D partner and not forced to play big, key minutes every night. We screwed up his development in that regard, too. 

Something else that the "we have improved" crowd doesn't acknowledge is that this year's team is not the same as last year's team. If you want to show improvement, you have to try and compare apples to apples.  

I.E., the simple addition of Dahlin to this year's team, even if we ignore all other factors, is probably good for a slight bump.  Or to put it another way, had Dahlin been on last year's team, that team would have done a little better than it did.  So the difference between last year's team and this year's team is narrower than some claim.

You also have to adjust for the arrival of Skinner, who is on pace for easily achieving a career goal scoring year.  Again, put him on last year's team and that team ends up with more points than it had, also narrowing the gap to this year's team.

It' kind of like adjusting for inflation.  Adjust for added talent this year, and overall team performance in all other areas may actually be considered worse this year.

Feel sorry for Skinner. I mean there’s not much of a drop off between having Eichel as your center vs. Sobotka, but still. At least he has Pommer on the other wing to add some speed, though.

Edited by K-9

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Now up to eight straight periods without scoring a goal. 

On the the bright side, we’ve only given up three goals after two periods. 

I want the Sabres to not score another goal for the rest of the season. It might be the only way to get the HC fired.

10 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I want the Sabres to not score another goal for the rest of the season. It might be the only way to get the HC fired.

They could go winless and scoreless for the rest of the season and Housley’s job would still be safe. JBotts made too strong a public comittmemt too recently to suggest otherwise. 

Three straight games being shutout. What is our record for most games without a goal? Just wondering if

Housley has a chance to add that to his growing stellar resume.

Edited by K-9

Housley has to go.  Has to.  But honestly, I'm also seriously contemplating whether Jack has the right stuff to lead this team.  Obviously his skill level is off the charts, but can he motivate other guys to be better too?  Sure hasn't looked that way from where I'm watching.  I'm really struggling seeing the silver lining with this team at this point.  I am.  They have simply rolled over and given up.  So frustrating.

48 minutes ago, K-9 said:

They could go winless and scoreless for the rest of the season and Housley’s job would still be safe. JBotts made too strong a public comittmemt too recently to suggest otherwise. 

Doesn't matter what he said before, Housley cannot be HC next season.