Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

Surprised there aren't more comments here after the Avs abomination.

This team is seriously broken and I'm not sure its GM realizes it.

Listen to Phil Housley's post game PC; he is officially lost.  He is in way over his head at this point.

I'm honestly not sure if Phil will be fired, Botterill will be fired, both, or neither.  

I'm inclined to think both survive to start Game 1 of next year, which is insane, seeing as this team has clearly quit on its HC and is trying to get him fired.  

Wonder if we will win another game this season.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Surprised there aren't more comments here after the Avs abomination.

This team is seriously broken and I'm not sure its GM realizes it.

Listen to Phil Housley's post game PC; he is officially lost.  He is in way over his head at this point.

I'm honestly not sure if Phil will be fired, Botterill will be fired, both, or neither.  

I'm inclined to think both survive to start Game 1 of next year, which is insane, seeing as this team has clearly quit on its HC and is trying to get him fired.  

Wonder if we will win another game this season.

Well, in terms of number of posts..... most everyone has already checked out of the season. Add in Saturday afternoon , prolly few watching I was only only following the game  on Twitter, as I did Thursday as well. No need to watch this mess of a team. 

I wonder ,after this last stretch , if the Sabres have earned the 2nd fewest points in the nhl if you exclude the streak. Just amazing to 25 games or so in, they were first in the league. Truly spectacular was has been accomplished here. 

Season tickets have to crushed  no? Lottery win helped keep several people in last year. But damn, 2 years of being at or next to the bottom, can’t blame a single person for not buying. 

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

You could have Ken Dryden in goal, but it really doesn't matter when (a) you don't score and (b) you're getting outshot 40-8 through the first 50 minutes.

I understand your larger point and agree, but my post was a comment specifically about Hutton’s shootout performance against the Blackhawks. 

That said, while we have problems throughout, our poor goalie play may indeed be the biggest issue. And that’s saying something considering how big our problems are among the forwards and defensemen. While goals against is a team stat, save percentage isn’t. And both Hutton and Ullmark have fallen off a cliff since the streak. Their 5x5 save percentage is among the worst over the last three months. 

Housley’s system demands stellar goalie play as it generates more odd man rushes against. Contrast that to Trotz and the Islanders who play a stay at home, tight checking style instead. Housley lacks the chops to adapt to his current personnel, which is why we have been at or near the bottom since he took over. Certainly seems that way, anyway.

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Housley’s system demands stellar goalie play as it generates more odd man rushes against. Contrast that to Trotz and the Islanders who play a stay at home, tight checking style instead. Housley lacks the chops to adapt to his current personnel, which is why we have been at or near the bottom since he took over. Certainly seems that way, anyway.

But the Islanders are boring!

Winning is boring, when it is a tight checking style, don’tcha know. Checking is so passé. 

22 minutes ago, snafu said:

But the Islanders are boring!

Winning is boring, when it is a tight checking style, don’tcha know. Checking is so passé. 

I prefer an attacking style of play, don't get me wrong. I also prefer skaters who can be hard on the puck; the two aren't mutually exclusive. We aren't physical in a physical game that demands that.  And Housley said we have to execute BEFORE being physical which makes no fricken sense to me at all. There are several highly skilled, fast moving, attacking teams that also play a more physical style. We don't need to return to the neutral zone trap, left wing lock, would rather watch paint try hockey, but we do need to meet the physical challenge of the game and we can't. For whatever reason. 

My point was that if Housley is unable to adapt to his personnel and insist on playing his preferred style, we need better goalies. He shows absolutely no ability to adapt at all. For some, including me, that's one of the first signs of a good coach. 

I don’t know how severe the suspension will be since I don’t know if it’s an in-person hearing or a phone hearing. If it’s in-person, it’ll obviously be worse. But either way I have to believe Eichel is looking at a suspension if he’s getting a hearing. 

Maybe 1 game? Can’t be more than 2 I wouldn’t think (unless his answers as to why it happened are terrible) 

Fhe only thing that makes me worry a bit more are Eichel’s post game comments from last night...

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/03/10/sabres-eichel-flyers-voracek-facing-hearings-after-saturday-hits/

“He hits me after they (bleeping), excuse my language, blow the whistle,” Eichel told the Buffalo News following in the game. “That’s whatever.

“I thought he was just reaching. I don’t know. I’d have to look at it, to be honest with you. I’m trying to protect myself. It’s a physical game. I think he’s going to deliver a hit to me.

“It seems like they were taking runs a little bit at times. If I’m going to be at the forefront of it, I might as well push back a little bit. I’ve got to protect myself.”

Itll depends on how the NHL interprets these comments and how Eichel explains them. 

I think he just meant that he was going to throw the body around more, not that he was head hunting because Zadorov hit him in the head. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t know how severe the suspension will be since I don’t know if it’s an in-person hearing or a phone hearing. If it’s in-person, it’ll obviously be worse. But either way I have to believe Eichel is looking at a suspension if he’s getting a hearing. 

Maybe 1 game? Can’t be more than 2 I wouldn’t think (unless his answers as to why it happened are terrible) 

Yep. 

Is this his first hearing with the league?

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I prefer an attacking style of play, don't get me wrong. I also prefer skaters who can be hard on the puck; the two aren't mutually exclusive. We aren't physical in a physical game that demands that.  And Housley said we have to execute BEFORE being physical which makes no fricken sense to me at all. There are several highly skilled, fast moving, attacking teams that also play a more physical style. We don't need to return to the neutral zone trap, left wing lock, would rather watch paint try hockey, but we do need to meet the physical challenge of the game and we can't. For whatever reason. 

My point was that if Housley is unable to adapt to his personnel and insist on playing his preferred style, we need better goalies. He shows absolutely no ability to adapt at all. For some, including me, that's one of the first signs of a good coach. 

Just to be clear, I don’t need a trap style of play.  I like it when there is a basic game whereby puck control in each end of the ice is paramount.  If that’s boring-winning, then I’m all for it.  That means support in the defensive zone and an aggressive forecheck in the the offensive zone.  I generally like it when there is support from a second player on the puck.  Pretty simple.  This goes especially for less talented teams, like ours.  

I agree with you, and you agree with me.  I’ve made the Housley can’t adapt argument several times in this thread.  It will most certainly result in Botteril continuing to rework the personnel to fit Housley’s system. It is a stupid way of progressing and there will be YEARS of pain along the way unless someone with a cooler head prevails and rips the bandage off now.  Right now, there not too much that needs to be done to make this team a playoff contender if they drop Housley’s style.  There’s quite a bit more that needs to be upgraded if they want to contend for a title.  There’s a GIANT amount of work to be done to contend for a title WITH Housley’s style of play.  I don’t know why they choose the hardest road.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yep. 

Is this his first hearing with the league?

Yes it is. 

Edit - this was supposed to be a separate post. 

So 8 wonder if this means he won’t play for Rochester today? 

Figures... I was looking forward to seeing him. lol

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting that Nylander got the call up. This is a “show us what you got” or a “show other teams what you got” moment for him. 

If Housley were smart and really wanted to give him the best chance to show his stuff, he’d have him on Eichel’s wing immediately. 

But becaues it’s Housley, I fully expect Nylander to be on a line with Sobotka and Thompson. 

I expect Eichel to get a slap on the wrist, but that will involve a suspension of some type. 

1 or 2 games I think.

Nylander is not ready to play in the NHL and this move is a concession by Botterill that this season is over.

It's quite possible Nylander is being brought up so he can be showcased for a trade this summer.  He was always a GMTM guy and his development has gone sideways. 

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

What on earth is that defenseman doing?

It was a "clean" hit delivered a tad late.

If you watch the play in real time, it was very "bang-bang".  The guy getting hit had just passed the puck and you can see him still admiring his pass in the video you posted, which is part of why he got cut in half.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It was a "clean" hit delivered a tad late.

If you watch the play in real time, it was very "bang-bang".  The guy getting hit had just passed the puck and you can see him still admiring his pass in the video you posted, which is part of why he got cut in half.

Hes not admiring the pass. He was looking back there the whole time before and after the pass. He’s the defenseman in talking about with the previous post. He’s carrying the puck up ice while looking backwards the whole time. This might be the first ever case where they should suspend someone for stupidity.