Buffalo Sabres & NHL 2018-19: Sabres picking 7th overall (6/21/19). Ralph Krueger hire as new head coach!

BillsFan4

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is the all star game interesting/fun to watch? 

I don’t enjoy it as much as the East vs West true all-star games from the ‘90’s and 2000’s (where every player there was an all-star, not just included because each team is now given 1 representative).

But it is pretty cool now that they went to a 3 on 3 overtime style format. It gives the players a lot more freedom to show off their skill/talent, and they seem to have more fun with it in general. 

And this year the team format will be by division - Atlantic vs Metro vs pacific etc etc. which is pretty cool. In recent years they were letting each team captain pick their team (like on the playground), which made it kind of tough to pick a team to root for, for me anyway. 

Its not a “can’t miss’ event or anything, but I enjoy it. I would say that it’s somewhat similar to the NFL pro-bowl game. 

Appreciate the update of the thread.

When needing Bills or Sabres news, I mostly consult my ESPN app however it nice to have a reliable back up.

So now I know the Sabres will play in Columbus on Tuesday and then head to Dallas to play that other ""infamous"" team of mine Wednesday night.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

be better in Nelson was coming back....and it better be Scandella-Hunwick extras and not Pilut!!!!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Housley benched Pilut. After all, he had the temerity to make a mistake last game. Never mind that Pilut is  our best Dman from a Corsi perspective, he must be made to atone for his on ice transgressions! 

Scandella needs patience and understanding because, you know, he’s only 28 and has been in the league eight years. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Housley benched Pilut. After all, he had the temerity to make a mistake last game. Never mind that Pilut is  our best Dman from a Corsi perspective, he must be made to atone for his on ice transgressions! 

Scandella needs patience and understanding because, you know, he’s only 28 and has been in the league eight years. 

I've seen those bottom two pairings reversed in other places, so I don't hope you get your hopes up too high.  Also, once Nelson is back, we will have reached a critical moment.  They're not carrying 9 d-men.  I'd fire the GM on the spot who decided to do that.  Nelson is a prime candidate for a conditioning stint, but after that, someone has to go.  We've seen nothing from this management group that suggest they're going to move any of the waiver eligible guys.  That only leaves one defenseman left to be sent to Rochester...

9 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've seen those bottom two pairings reversed in other places, so I don't hope you get your hopes up too high.  Also, once Nelson is back, we will have reached a critical moment.  They're not carrying 9 d-men.  I'd fire the GM on the spot who decided to do that.  Nelson is a prime candidate for a conditioning stint, but after that, someone has to go.  We've seen nothing from this management group that suggest they're going to move any of the waiver eligible guys.  That only leaves one defenseman left to be sent to Rochester...

Rest assured, with Housley as HC, there is zero chance I will get my hopes too high. NOTHING about him screams great head coach. 

Pushing for the playoffs became a habit for Marco Scandella during his tenure with the Minnesota Wild, where the defenseman was a member of five straight postseason teams from 2012-13 through 2016-17. 

While members of the Sabres packed their bags for Columbus following practice on Monday, Scandella smiled ear-to-ear when asked to describe the task ahead. 

"This is why you play hockey," he said. "This is the fun part. Last year, coming off the break, we knew we were in a position that was almost impossible to make the playoffs. It wasn't that fun coming back. Other teams are pushing too and when you don't have much to play for, it isn't easy. It's exciting to be in this position as opposed to last year. I think everyone's all smiles in this room right now, ready to work hard for each other."

“Everything's going to tighten up from now until the end of the year," Scandella said. "I feel like we understand that in this room. We have a lot of guys that are young and don't have that experience but are ready to battle. We have 34 games left. You're going to have to scratch and claw for every inch. We're in a position where we're going to have to make a real push here to have a chance to make the playoffs. It's going to take everybody in this room. We have to start playing playoff hockey from now on and treat every play like it could be your last, because every play makes a difference. Every play counts."

I am excited to see what they do to close out the season. I hope like crazy that they are able to make the playoffs, but no matter what this is valuable experience. 

There are so many players on this roster who have yet to experience being part of a team trying to make a playoff push (which is pretty sad to think about, especially when you realize that guys like Risto and Girgensons are in their 6th year...lol). 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am excited to see what they do to close out the season. I hope like crazy that they are able to make the playoffs, but no matter what this is valuable experience. 

There are so many players on this roster who have yet to experience being part of a team trying to make a playoff push (which is pretty sad to think about, especially when you realize that guys like Risto and Girgensons are in their 6th year...lol). 

Thanks for the update @BillsFan4   Not only are you posting good info/links, but giving your own original thoughts as well. Appreciated. 

• Like (+1) 1

What do our resident leafs fans think? 

Id say it’s a Pretty nice trade for both sides. Muzzin is a good top 4 defenseman, and will instantly be the 2nd best defenseman on the leafs roster IMO. I don’t know how they will work the pairings seeing as Muzzin is also a lefty (and better on the left side. Can Reilly play on the right?). 

And LA got a 1st + a very nice prospect in Grundstrom and a B level prospect in Durzi.

Don’t know as much about Durzi. Heard he’s having a good season, but he’s also currently unsigned, 20yrs old and still playing in juniors. He was an over-ager the leafs took in the 2nd in 2018. 

Muzzin being under contract next seasn at only $4M is a win for Toronto, too. I assume he will most likely be Gardiner’s replacement next season.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thanks for the update @BillsFan4   Not only are you posting good info/links, but giving your own original thoughts as well. Appreciated. 

Thanks. Appreciate it. 

53 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Any chance Hutton or Ullmark went to get a neck tattoo over All Star break?

I heard on radio yesterday Hutton is like .890 since the win streak. Not good. 

And boy, sobriety and a great system/coach sure does make a difference no? 

• Like (+1) 1

Converting a career backup to a starter.  It doesn't seem to work all that often.  I can't think of too many recent success stories.  The most glaring recent one was Scott Darling, now serving as the backup in Charlotte.  They're career backups for a reason.  Now add to that the fact that Hutton is 33 years old.  There was very little reason to think he could stay at his early season form for the long haul.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, if morning skate pairings mean anything, it will be Scandella/Hunwick on the third D pair. 

Scandella and Hunwick. Let that sink in. 

There is a reason we finished with the worst record last year. 

There is a reason we have the worst record over the last 23 games. 

I fully expect Scandella and Hunwick to play lights out tonight, thus convincing coach clueless to keep them in the lineup as he fancies it is that pairing that holds the magic key to playoff contention. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Well, if morning skate pairings mean anything, it will be Scandella/Hunwick on the third D pair. 

Scandella and Hunwick. Let that sink in. 

If Pilut is not on the ice tonight, and Scandella is,  I fire Housley immediately.