Don't be surprised if Josh Jacobs is the first round target for McBeane.

njbuff

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

The problem with the Spiller pick was more that he wasn't as good as they thought he was - not because they already had Lynch (whom they had grown very tired of).  I see it more as a missed evaluation rather than a logical flaw.  Every team misses on some picks - even high ones.

Did they have a guy named Fred Jackson ??

7 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

He had two young productive rbs when we made that pick. We have an aging rb who’s afraid of contact, this is nothing like the spiller pick 

Very solid RB's can be found in Rd's 2---5.

25 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would pretty much NEVER take a RB in the first round, let alone top 10. Short careers and more interchangeable than other positions.

Phillip Lindsay was damn near as good as Saquon Barkley. Top 3 backs in the league are Gurley, Zeke, and Barkley. McCaffrey is great but wouldn't call him a RB. I'd MAYBE take one of these guys in the top 10. Unless you think Jacobs is going to be a SUPERSTAR, there's no way you consider him at 9.

Why not?

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Why not?

Nice catch. I honestly had no idea he racked up 1000 yards rushing. He can pretty much do it all so I'll just go ahead and add him to the top 4.

I would still be hesitant to take a RB in the top 10 because it's so rare to find a true difference maker. While those 4 are the best, Phillip Lindsay, an UDFA, wasn't far behind Barkley in terms of production.

Like I said, a RB damn well better be a SUPERSTAR if you take him in the top 10. And yes, more so than other positions considering the interchangeability, short careers, and plenty of other ways to get a really good one.

Edited by LSHMEAB

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...problem is he was cut when the video went public and the Chiefs alleged he lied about the incident when questioned back in February.....pretty sure the NFL conducted an investigation back then and it was mute only to have them reopen the wound when video surfaced.....had the clown told the truth back in February, maybe he gets a 1 or 2 game club suspension for "conduct detrimental" and it's a done deal then......yet "stupid is as stupid does" by lying prevails which IMO, would NEVER fit the famed "process"....

I’m not sure what all this means, but my original point still stands...No RB in the first round, especially when (arguably) the best back in the league is available for nothing.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I thought Barkley should have gone #1 to Cleveland and then they take a QB at #4. Barkley is special , at 9 would have been a steal.  Giants totally did the right thing getting him.

No.  They did not.  The Giants could have gotten essentially the same production by taking Phillip Lindsey in round 7.  

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

RB is a need and we don't know if McBeane is on the Jacobs love train or not.

It will be interesting to see how the Bills go after another RB.

I do believe they will via the Draft.
But i feel they want to add picks agin'
but for the early rounds. Players they feel can get on the field immediately and others who they hope to shine in camp and push the roster quality upward.

tough year for them as the desire to add so much for need stresses the BPA mentality on Offense.

beside QB  : )

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

i believe this would be the least popular choice position wise other than qb in the first round.  any other position i believe you could make a case.  Some positions stronger than others.

How'd that work for the Giants. and would we do just as well with CJ Anderson platooning ?
Need one to move on from Shady M. and this year is a great year to invest in a rookie.
just not this high. Some one will want him though. Maybe we find a trade down  : )

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Don’t forget that the Panthers took Williams, Stewart and McCaffrey in round 1. Whether it’s a good idea or not is different than it being a possibility. It is certainly possible.

Not necessarily true, it’s a skill set that you are looking for not stats. Look no further than our own Josh Allen

What are the odds of Tom Brady leaving his wife to take up with Rosie O'Donnell? Those are the same odds that the Bills will use a first round pick on a back. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rosie+o'donnell&FORM=IARRTH&ufn=rosie+o'donnell&stid=6ee3c41d-3f08-f533-2899-a51c8718335e&cbn=EntityAnswer&cbi=0&FORM=IARRTH

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I don't know the free agent QB's on the horizon, if there is a good one, I'm sure the Giants would be an attractive destination. Just thought Barkley was someone not to pass up. I may be wrong, but he's special.

would not question that. 

Just now, JohnC said:

What are the odds of Tom Brady leaving his wife to take up with Rosie O'Donnell? Those are the same odds that the Bills will use a first round pick on a back. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=rosie+o'donnell&FORM=IARRTH&ufn=rosie+o'donnell&stid=6ee3c41d-3f08-f533-2899-a51c8718335e&cbn=EntityAnswer&cbi=0&FORM=IARRTH

I know you want to believe that but listen to the GM and look at his background. His old boss took a back at 2 last year. These guys believe in that and the most trusted in the scouting community are falling in love with Jacobs. Miller and Jeremiah are two of my favorites and they are both extremely high on him. I don’t think it’s likely but this crew has drafted backs early, often. It absolutely isn’t impossible. A back is high on their needs list as it is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don’t believe this will happen, but IF it did, it would mean they are so excited about him, they are willing to overlook critical needs elsewhere. If nothing else, it would get me excited about the player.

Or concerned the staff has no self discipline !

: )

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

With Daboll as OC and with him knowing Jacobs and the all around talent that Jacobs is....................

this might very well be the target of this organization come the first round of April's draft.

I only mention this because of how upset people will be around here if the Bills make RB a first round priority.

We shall see, as we still have the whole draft process to go thru.

Be surprised, be very surprised.

Nothing's impossible but he's unlikely to be the BPA there.

And if he is, they might easily look to trade back.

Edited by Thurman#1

52 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

He had two young productive rbs when we made that pick. We have an aging rb who’s afraid of contact, this is nothing like the spiller pick 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

is this a rhetorical question .

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know you want to believe that but listen to the GM and look at his background. His old boss took a back at 2 last year. These guys believe in that and the most trusted in the scouting community are falling in love with Jacobs. Miller and Jeremiah are two of my favorites and they are both extremely high on him. I don’t think it’s likely but this crew has drafted backs early, often. It absolutely isn’t impossible. A back is high on their needs list as it is.

I have no doubt that scouts are raving about this back. But he is not going to be rated in the top ten where we are drafting. Even if he is rated that high it is still unlikely that McBeane would use it for a back. It would make no sense for us. It might make sense for a team that has a fuller roster and more robust OL. But from where we are drafting and considering our priority needs I just don't see it. 

If a highly touted back was on the board when we were drafting in the second round I would be receptive to taking a prime time back. But it makes little sense where we are currently drafting. If the Bills traded down and accumulated additional picks I would be more receptive to the possibility. 

FWIW, before hating it let’s learn a little about the player. This is my plea for the entire draft season to all of us. These guys have drafted well. That’s an area where they have earned some trust. Before we fall in love or hate a player let’s at least know the player. This way we can discuss the pros and cons at a much deeper level.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/19/5-play-prospect-rb-joshua-jacobs/

• Like (+1) 1