Don't be surprised if Josh Jacobs is the first round target for McBeane.

njbuff

3 hours ago, Art in RTP said:

I wouldn't be shocked for this to be a year of no Running backs picked in the first round.

..certainly agree....Barkley was an anomaly.......Fournette is the "caveat emptor" reason why the 1st ain't a McBeane consideration IMO....

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Draft a running back ? Add a RB to the roster under 30??

Surprised? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn’t be more surprised.

I appreciate the CV quote.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I too think it’s a possibility (and people will lose their minds). The scouting community LOVES Jacobs. The Bills are clearly drafting BPA (whenever they pick). It is absolutely possible. I still think it’s a defensive player but they certainly aren’t crossing anyone off at this point.

if he is still there at nine, who can we trade with.
Would rather draft two in the third or something along those lines than take one that early.
O Line need another year or two to get its act together. and Bills need Blitz pickups and great check downs McCoy along with guys that just grind the yards for short and red area 1st downs. Ivory and the  Mr Gore check that box. 

still draft a thoroughbred project with a sweet ceiling to replace Shady please

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Draft a running back ? Add a RB to the roster under 30??

Surprised? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn’t be more surprised.

LOL. experience talking here ?

lololo

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m watching irv smith pro day right now. He’s short for a TE but can move. Looks like a great athlete. Use him as a Hybrid 

How many times was Smith on the turf at the combine? Seems like every catch or attempt ended up with him picking himself off the ground. Even Daniel Jeremiah pointed it out on NFL network. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, turftoe said:

How many times was Smith on the turf at the combine? Seems like every catch or attempt ended up with him picking himself off the ground. Even Daniel Jeremiah pointed it out on NFL network. 

He did not look good in drills at the combine.

I don’t think he is even in the conversation for the Bills at 9, thankfully. However, here is why I don’t think he should be in any conversation for any first round team. I’ve seen comparisons to Mark Ingram who is a pretty decent back. With the rookie wage scale, Josh Jacobs will make a minimum of 1.9 million. Even being the last pick in the first round. Mark Ingram just signed for 5 million per season. In a perfect world, Jacobs reaches potential and becomes a Mark Ingram. Congratulations, you just paid a first rounder to save 3 million in cap space. In today’s undervalued RB market it just makes more sense to grab one later in the draft or in free agency. Unless you are a generational Saquon Barkley, your name, as a RB, belongs no where near the first round.  

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be worried with his 40 time, its plenty fast enough to be effective in this league.  Basically with his relatively ok 40 time he most likely eliminated himself from being a possible top 15 back.

with that said, he looks as if he is going to be a mighty fine all around back in this league who will undoubtedly make whoever drafts him a better team.

49 minutes ago, Magox said:

I wouldn't be worried with his 40 time, its plenty fast enough to be effective in this league.  Basically with his relatively ok 40 time he most likely eliminated himself from being a possible top 15 back.

with that said, he looks as if he is going to be a mighty fine all around back in this league who will undoubtedly make whoever drafts him a better team.

I agree with all of that, but I just don’t see a 1st round grade given the info that we have on him and his positional value. For a RB to go in the 1st I think he should be 3 dimensional (carrying the rock, catching the rock, and protecting the QB) and elite  in certain categories, like speed. Otherwise I wait until at least the 2nd. 

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m watching irv smith pro day right now. He’s short for a TE but can move. Looks like a great athlete. Use him as a Hybrid 

Irv Smith, Tyler Kroft and Jason Croom aren't a bad TE corps all things considered

EDIT: Regarding OP's stance on Josh Jacobs and the RB position.

I kinda just want to double dip and take Devine Ozigbo in the 4th and Bryce Love(RS rookie year) in the 5th or 6th. Don't see McCoy or Gore being here next year and I'd love if we spent two late round picks on a 1-2 punch like this. I feel so confident on both being great NFL players.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree with all of that, but I just don’t see a 1st round grade given the info that we have on him and his positional value. For a RB to go in the 1st I think he should be 3 dimensional (carrying the rock, catching the rock, and protecting the QB) and elite  in certain categories, like speed. Otherwise I wait until at least the 2nd. 

I tend to agree, I was speaking more to speed being a supposed  issue for him in the pros.

7 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Irv Smith, Tyler Kroft and Jason Croom aren't a bad TE corps all things considered

EDIT: Regarding OP's stance on Josh Jacobs and the RB position.

I kinda just want to double dip and take Devine Ozigbo in the 4th and Bryce Love in the 5th or 6th. Don't see McCoy or Gore being here next year and I'd love if we spent two late round picks on a 1-2 punch like this. I feel so confident on both being great NFL players.

How did Bryce Love fall off so much? A couple of years ago he was thought of as the best back in college. Stanford turns into a bad football team and everyone forgets about Bryce. He could be a hidden Gem for a team in this draft for sure.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:34 PM, njbuff said:

With Daboll as OC and with him knowing Jacobs and the all around talent that Jacobs is....................

this might very well be the target of this organization come the first round of April's draft.

I only mention this because of how upset people will be around here if the Bills make RB a first round priority.

We shall see, as we still have the whole draft process to go thru.

Josh is very talented and a great kid by all accounts.

He got his scholarship offer from Bama at the last minute. He had a really sad, difficult life but stayed out of trouble, worked his ass off and kept getting better. You could tell just how much Saban likes him. 

Given the above, I must point out that he was never really a starter at Alabama, or at least not the feature back. I would love to have him (or Damien Harris) on the Bills, but not at #9. That would be much too early imro.

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

I tend to agree, I was speaking more to speed being a supposed  issue for him in the pros.

I haven’t really seen anyone say that, I certainly don’t think it will be with type of RB that he is. but he’s not a Barkley/Zeke type RB, is what people are saying. Referring to his big board ranking at 6 overall by Jeremiah. DJ knows way more than i do, but i just don’t see it. 

4 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

How did Bryce Love fall off so much? A couple of years ago he was thought of as the best back in college. Stanford turns into a bad football team and everyone forgets about Bryce. He could be a hidden Gem for a team in this draft for sure.

Tore his ACL last game of the year otherwise he's a Day 2 pick this year