Don't be surprised if Josh Jacobs is the first round target for McBeane.

njbuff

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, I have no I retest in Bryce Love. Always hurt and a lot of miles. Pass

I like Devin Singletary as an option.

I wouldn’t even spend a 7th on him. I would be surprised if he played in 2019 and if he retired from football altogether I wouldn’t be shocked either.

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You need to avoid stats when looking at prospects. Josh Allen was a perfect example. It’s a skill set that you are looking for. The reason that counts love Jacobs (Daniel Jeremiah’s top overall offensive player) is the combination of balance, receiving, effort, and tackle breaking ability. He has a skill set that translates to a 3 down back. He’s going to be a great pro and go way earlier than people may have thought (as he is a guy rising now). I don’t think he’s the Bills pick at 9 but I’ve seen him mocked as high as 5 to the Bucs. 

Is he even worth a top 10/20 pick though? I just feel the pool of RBs is spread so even nobody really stands head and shoulders above the rest.  

26 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

Is he even worth a top 10/20 pick though? I just feel the pool of RBs is spread so even nobody really stands head and shoulders above the rest.  

I guess that’s the point. The Jeremiah’s of the world think that he’s worthy of a top 5 pick and is head’s and shoulders above. Matt Miller has a similar opinion. I haven’t seen enough of the group to have a definitive opinion on the gaps between guys. I see why scouts love him though. He’s going to be a great pro. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you saw my post in this thread I am totally against using a #9 on Jacobs, and I am a HUGE Crimson Tide Fan and really like the kid.

I see your point wrt the Spiller comparison, I really do, but; I would take Jacobs over Spiller ANY day!!! Even for the Bills, the Spiller pick was so stupid that it was mind boggling. As for Jacobs, imo he is a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He is a much better and stronger player than Spiller ever was.

I agree with the 2nd or 3rd round  pick, he has nice hands, I’d take him in the third. He is 5’10, 216 and somehow manages to run “high”. Gurley gets away with running like that but he is a good 20 pounds heavier. 

I don’t understand what DJ and folks are seeing with Jacobs, I look back at last year and see Royce Freeman going in the 3rd. Again,

20 pounds heavier and also has a pair of hands. 

Jacobs isn’t as elusive as a Kamara or Barkley and he isn’t as big as other backs. For his size he should be quicker, if tweener was ever used on a RB this is the guy. 

Edited by CommonCents

5 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I agree with the 2nd or 3rd round  pick, he has nice hands, I’d take him in the third. He is 5’10, 216 and somehow manages to run “high”. Gurley gets away with running like that but he is a good 20 pounds heavier. 

I don’t understand what DJ and folks are seeing with Jacobs, I look back at last year and see Royce Freeman going in the 3rd. Again,

Jacobs isn’t as elusive as a Kamara or Barkley and he isn’t as big as other backs. For his size he should be quicker, if tweener was ever used on a RB this is the guy. 

The suggestion of 2nd or 3rd round pick was more of a compliment than an insult in this passing league.

Like any other back, Josh would stand out on a team with a good qb and a solid OL. Some of those holes he ran through at Alabama were pretty big. Still, he is a true all purpose back and plays a very smart game. He can do everything including block.

Btw, I'm not 100% sure that the 216 lbs. they list him at is accurate. That seems high to me but he is a fighter and plays hard on every down. I really like Josh but not at #9.  

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

The suggestion of 2nd or 3rd round pick was more of a compliment than an insult in this passing league.

Like any other back, Josh would stand out on a team with a good qb and a solid OL. Some of those holes he ran through at Alabama were pretty big. Still, he is a true all purpose back and plays a very smart game. He can do everything including block.

Btw, I'm not 100% sure that the 216 lbs. they list him at is accurate. That seems high to me but he is a fighter and plays hard on every down. I really like Josh but not at #9.  

I wasn’t insulting him, being a day one or two pick is an amazing accomplishment. I’m just having a hard time seeing why DJ has him

going so high. 

Yeldon was similar in my mind and he went in the 2nd. He was hurt a few times IIRC. Yeldon was quicker and more explosive while still

at Bama he has slowed since. 

On 1/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, ScottLaw said:

Just like CJ Spiller was.

Still of the mindset that a first round RB for a team with as many needs as the Bills have is stupidity.... find it hard to believe that a RB will be BPA when Bills pick.

Hard to argue.

You are the authority on stupidity.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Me too. I would like to take a RB high and I think the only way they do is if they garner some extra capital. 

the Pats grabbing Sony Michel with their 31st pick was shocking to me but it's starting to look like it made sense despite his injury/weak start.

i wouldn't mind an RB early either,  platoon with Shady.  Nothing like a 22 year old pass-catching back eager to rip it up in the pro's.

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Jacobs has first round talent.   He runs with power and is nasty.  Also has good hands and speed - he should run well at combine.  On tape, he runs away from DB's.  I consider him the best back in the draft.  Keep in mind, Alabama has so many good backs, Saban spreads it around and gives his seniors their share of touches (D. Harris).  Jacobs should go top 20.  I'd have no problem with this pick for the Bills ...so sick of Shady and tackles for loss.

16 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Jacobs has first round talent.   He runs with power and is nasty.  Also has good hands and speed - he should run well at combine.  On tape, he runs away from DB's.  I consider him the best back in the draft.  Keep in mind, Alabama has so many good backs, Saban spreads it around and gives his seniors their share of touches (D. Harris).  Jacobs should go top 20.  I'd have no problem with this pick for the Bills ...so sick of Shady and tackles for loss.

Outrunning DBs? That’s not what I saw with him. Maybe against Mercer. 

On 1/24/2019 at 12:22 PM, Mountain Man said:

The NFL community thought Trent Richardson was a round 1 running back.

They more recently thought Gurley, Zeke, Saquon, Gordon, Michel, and McCaffrey were. I don’t know about you but I wouldn’t hate having any of those guys on my team. 2 of them are playing this weekend. 

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I wasn’t insulting him, being a day one or two pick is an amazing accomplishment. I’m just having a hard time seeing why DJ has him

going so high. 

Yeldon was similar in my mind and he went in the 2nd. He was hurt a few times IIRC. Yeldon was quicker and more explosive while still

at Bama he has slowed since. 

Yelden was much taller, and I think stronger. To this day I think he would have been an excellent pro RB if not for the numerous injuries. Some of these kids just can't stand up to the punishment of the NFL or get unlucky injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2019 at 1:49 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Folks, a little perspective here.....

Are all of you aware that Josh was never established as the starting running back at Alabama? He was never the strongest running back on the Tide and while he is quick, he isn't a speed back.

Josh is very good and quite versatile. He has great hands, blocks well, and is a smart kid and a smart player. Saban loves the kid. That said, I am not even sure if he will be better than Damien Harris. He can be if he continues to improve and his first step is a bit quicker, but Damien reminds me a bit of Thurman in terms of seeing holes to run through. He is no slouch.

As a life long Alabama Fan, I would welcome Josh to the team. He had an extremely tough life but seems to maintain a great, positive attitude. I have no doubt that he would be quite useful to Allen, but; I don't think that the Bills should use a #9 on him.

Disclaimer: I am not pretending to be a scout. I am just a fan who has seen every Alabama game for many years.

...it's all over the map about this kid...two mocks have him going to Eagles at #25....CBS Sports ranks him as #5 in RB draftee list......Jeremiah has him as #6 on his RB board....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s not 1st round speed 

He didn’t run in Indy

Watching him play and not expect this kind of speed is astonishing.  There is a reason why you never see him break long td runs.  That for me is a red flag.  In college on a team that is vastly superior vs the majority of their competition and you cant break a long run?  Give me Miles Sanders rd 2 all day over Jacobs.

Edited by Mat68