Don't be surprised if Josh Jacobs is the first round target for McBeane.

njbuff

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

Like what?  It’s a terrible draft for tackles, especially at the top of the board.  It’s a terrible draft for WRs at the top of the board.  Good value on both in the 2nd and 3rd rds.  While rb isn’t our biggest need, it is a need and if Jacobs is the BPA when we pick, which might not be 9th, Jacobs fits the bill as a special player 

DT and DE are deep this year in the first round.

15 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This staff just strikes me as not being the type to draft a RB that high.  I could be completely wrong though. 

I'm with you there. Fcol, they could barely bring themselves to get a guy in to spell a Full Back, when he was our only fit RB in 2017.

The only way I see it happening, is if they move on from Shady prior to the draft, and unless he's cut, I don't see anyone trading anything for him atm.

If the Bills take a RB at 9, I will issue a mea culpa but I'm stating emphatically that there is no way that they go RB that high. The previous RBs they took in the 1st Round were under a prior ownership, front office, and HC. IMO, if this regime follows suit, that will be a clear indication that they just don't get it. They're more likely to try and move up for an edge rusher (like Allen), stay put and take a stud OL or DL, or drop down to acquire more picks...all before they would entertain a RB at 9. I think this worry is much ado about nothing.

The way I view it, this team's highest priority - almost to the exclusion of everything else- is to build an O-Line.  They need at a minimum center, tackle and guard.  Only after that can they consider other position groups.  Failure to at least attempt that first, all as we will get is more of the same.  

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

DT and DE are deep this year in the first round.

I guess that’s the difference.  I’m not a big fan of a lot of those DL at 9.  I’d be happy with Oliver, Bosa and Allen.  Not a big fan of anyone else at 9.  Trade down.  At that point, there’s a chance that jacobs is BPA.  

I agree with you in the respect that there are a few positions I wouldn’t want to draft in the first rd (LB, S, QB) regardless of BPA.  RB is usually on that list based on the ability to grab one later in the draft, but I just think Jacobs is that much better than all the other RBs.  Jmo, of course

13 minutes ago, davspo said:

The way I view it, this team's highest priority - almost to the exclusion of everything else- is to build an O-Line.  They need at a minimum center, tackle and guard.  Only after that can they consider other position groups.  Failure to at least attempt that first, all as we will get is more of the same.  

...and they have CLEARLY stated on multiple occasions that they will draft BPA. They certainly will not reach on an OL (or any other position) at 9 out of need. If there is a guy there that they think has the value of the 9th pick he will be selected. If not they will go in a different direction. 

Additionally, FA comes before the draft. We have no idea what the roster will look like at the end of April. They may have signed Kareem Hunt or Bell. They may have added 3 starting OL (Paradis, Saffold, Williams). They may have done any or all of this. The only position we know they won’t take at 9 is QB. Everyone else is in play. 

I'm not completely opposed to getting a RB that high in the draft but it certainly isn't something that I'm predisposition to wanting to do.

With that said, if a RB is a game-breaking sort of player and is an elite level runner and pass catcher and is the best player available then you do it.

I will say this about Jacobs, every time I saw him play I thought he looked awesome.  Super quick, a nightmare to tackle in open space, incredible balance and ripped through lots of tackles.  Not to mention he was a very good receiving option for them.  I think the dude is legit, not Saquon Barkley awesome but possibly close to it.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I too think it’s a possibility (and people will lose their minds). The scouting community LOVES Jacobs. The Bills are clearly drafting BPA (whenever they pick). It is absolutely possible. I still think it’s a defensive player but they certainly aren’t crossing anyone off at this point.

I really hope they stick to BPA.  People on here are hung up way too much on certain positions.  If they hit on a blue chipper in the first round we'll be a better team after the draft, regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I too think it’s a possibility (and people will lose their minds). The scouting community LOVES Jacobs. The Bills are clearly drafting BPA (whenever they pick). It is absolutely possible. I still think it’s a defensive player but they certainly aren’t crossing anyone off at this point.

if we fix the OL by that time, I could see it as a possibility.  I could also see a team wanting him, while other teams want a QB, and Bean swinging a trade to go back a few picks and getting more picks.  Taking a WR and a different RB in RD. 1.  

Nothing about Beane and McD suggests to me that they would do this with the current state of the team.

So I am highly skeptical they would take a RB top 10 unless that RB was a Saquan like generational talent or RB was the last piece of the rebuild needed on offense.

Never say never, so I will put the odds of this happening at less than 5% even though right now my gut feels like it’s really 0% chance.

52 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I really hope they stick to BPA.  People on here are hung up way too much on certain positions.  If they hit on a blue chipper in the first round we'll be a better team after the draft, regardless of position.

Ive definitely noticed this