Greg Schiano appears in line to become Patriots DC (update: Official)

YoloinOhio

What sucks about this news is that I take it to mean Belichick probably isn’t thinking of retiring just yet, even with a Super Bowl win. 

I hope I'm wrong. I’d love to see Brady go into his age 42 season without Belichick as his head coach... 

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s probably a better NFL DC than college DC. His defense is too complex and pro style for the varying levels of talent and experience at the college level. Conversely i think he is a better college HC than NFL HC. 

Yeah, it’s a shame he had to work with all of that sub par talent at OSU. That school just can’t catch a break. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

Yeah, it’s a shame he had to work with all of that sub par talent at OSU. That school just can’t catch a break. 

That’s why he got fired. Can’t field the worst defense in program history. It wasn’t because of all the 4 and 5 star players. The nuance here though is that the players are not all at the same level, despite how highly they were recruited. You can’t run the exact same defense with Damon Arnette , Kendall Sheffield, and “Safety of the Week” that you ran with Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley and Malik Hooker (all 1st rd picks). All the players you reload with have potential,  but they are not the same. Those guys might play in the nfl but they aren’t 1st round picks. He had true freshman out there hung out to dry in 1:1 coverage because he can’t not be super aggressive. You have to adjust to your talent and he never did. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 6:22 PM, Another Fan said:

Yes if not an even bigger reason to dislike the Patriots. This guy when he was at Rutgers had one good season, was about a .500 coach his tenure there but thought he was God.  I heard a giant douche as well behind the scenes 

He actually had 6 good season at Rutgers, factoring in that Rutgers was historically terrible prior to his arrival. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/greg-schiano-1.html

On 1/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, YoloinOhio said:

That’s why he got fired. Can’t field the worst defense in program history. It wasn’t because of all the 4 and 5 star players. The nuance here though is that the players are not all at the same level, despite how highly they were recruited. You can’t run the exact same defense with Damon Arnette , Kendall Sheffield, and “Safety of the Week” that you ran with Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley and Malik Hooker (all 1st rd picks). All the players you reload with have potential,  but they are not the same. Those guys might play in the nfl but they aren’t 1st round picks. He had true freshman out there hung out to dry in 1:1 coverage because he can’t not be super aggressive. You have to adjust to your talent and he never did. 

He was DC at the U of Miami in 1999 and 2000, and the defenses were excellent.  For instance: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-fl/2000.html .

Just sayin' -- there's a lot of false info floating around in this thread. People need to at least a little bit of research! (not referring to you, @YoloinOhio)

Edited by dave mcbride

One game when Tampa played the Giants & the Giants were in victory formation he had his D linemen go over the line & tackle Eli Manning.  He said afterwards that the game wasn't over.  The Giants were smoking hot after he pulled that stunt.  Right then I said he wasn't NFL head coaching material.