Josh Allen has been working with Jordan Palmer with McDermott's blessing

5 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it really do anything?

Allen worked out with Palmer last off-season and pretty much had all the same flaws as he did at Wyoming. 

I disagree.  Maybe we're watching different games.

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

ohhhhh, but have you SEEN Palmer's footwork....?

Tell us

And what's Tom House's footwork like?

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

I was thinking about this today watching senior bowl practice. I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer in the 5th-7th round on developing a solid backup QB. 

We have a decent backup in Barkley and Anderson. The only QB I want added is an undrafted QB that can be a camp arm and/or possible PS member. 

13 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I think that goes towards maturity and an understanding that he's just started scaling the mountain, and has earned nothing yet besides the right to become even more scrutinized this coming season. The Bills have to translate the growing pains of 2018 into additional W's in 2019, we all know that. But I feel like the foundation is being properly laid. How do you rank your feelings comparatively about the upcoming season with any since the start the turn of the century? 

After the 2004 season I don't think I could be more excited.  I knew we were going to step back after last season playoff run, so this most recent August I was a little less excited.

...so yeah, I am absolutely fired up (pending draft and free agency, to a degree) for the 2019 season.

I don't know if it is a playoff year, NHK, but I do know it will be the foundation of the team for years to come and not just a blip that goes away a year or two later.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

So how do you explain his improvements since Anderson got on board? He's the epitome of marginal. Quite often the marginal guys make the best teachers because they were longtime backups and spent more time working on film or imitating the opposing QB in practice 

This.  If you look at Jordan Palmer's college record, his completion percentage and yards improved significantly every year.  He's the epitome of the kind of athlete who makes a good coach - the thinking guy who is not the naturally gifted, instinctual player but who has to work hard for it.

People always like to say "oh, we should bring Jim Kelly (or some other great) back to coach".  Chances are they have no idea how they did what they did, so they'd make a crap coach.  I forget who it was who said he worked out with Brett Favre who was like "then you do THIS" and flicked the ball 50 yards - said he was great to watch but he couldn't learn much from him.

• Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Love hearing about all players working their butts off to improve all the time. Not surprised by this as Josh has already proven he is DRIVEN to get better at his craft. Great and expected. 

Love hearing about the players working their butts off to improve, and then reading the Internet ding dongs that feel working hard to improve will do nothing.

Have the people that feel that way EVER tried to improve at something through practice with a "coach" or "teacher".  It's the darnedest thing, but often it WORKS! :beer:

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We have a decent backup in Barkley and Anderson. The only QB I want added is an undrafted QB that can be a camp arm and/or possible PS member. 

I'm not 100% on the NFL rules here - for rookie minicamp, do we pretty much have to bring in a couple camp arms, or is it allowed to have one or more of the QB on the roster be there?

16 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

After the 2004 season I don't think I could be more excited.  I knew we were going to step back after last season playoff run, so this most recent August I was a little less excited.

...so yeah, I am absolutely fired up (pending draft and free agency, to a degree) for the 2019 season.

I don't know if it is a playoff year, NHK, but I do know it will be the foundation of the team for years to come and not just a blip that goes away a year or two later.

In the words of a coach who's name I can't even remember, many many moons ago at a small NCAA Div. III school, "I'll take that!" (He was watching line drills and liked the effort) :).  

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Love hearing about the players working their butts off to improve, and then reading the Internet ding dongs that feel working hard to improve will do nothing.

Have the people that feel that way EVER tried to improve at something through practice with a "coach" or "teacher".  It's the darnedest thing, but often it WORKS! :beer:

You can probably leave out the "ding"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

This is another one of those scenarios under which I have no clue why people are upset or critical.  Do you need to be "excited?"  No, but why would you "poo poo" the situation?  Jordan Palmer has made a name for himself as a QB coach/instructor.  He's building a business of working with young QBs to get them ready for the next step in their football careers.  Josh Allen -- until the end of his last college season -- never really received solid one-on-one coaching regarding mechanics and the art of playing the position.  Palmer helped him immensely last year, so he's going back to continue to work on things and this is a bad thing?  I can imagine Palmer sitting down with him, now, with actual NFL game film, and working things out.  That's good stuff, and Palmer can do it because he's not directly affiliated with the Bills or NFL so there are no contact restrictions during the offseason.

I just don't get the negativity.

Well said

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It seemed like Allen took steps between the Wyoming season and the Sr Bowl/regular season so hopefully it will continue to help!  The only thing I would like better would be the news if he had some of our WR with him, Foster and Zay.

He already said he'll be meeting with the WRs at some point, so...yay

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not 100% on the NFL rules here - for rookie minicamp, do we pretty much have to bring in a couple camp arms, or is it allowed to have one or more of the QB on the roster be there?

If it's rookie minicamp, by definition you need a rookie QB or you can't run plays.  Doesn't matter whether he's drafted or not.