Josh Allen has been working with Jordan Palmer with McDermott's blessing

and McDermott is not only aware of it, he's good with it (some weird typos in this quote):

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/josh-allen-offseason-plans-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott/amp/#click=https://t.co/Pvc3Fkqp3O

“We respect and trust what Jordan (Palmer) does out there. And certainly… understand Josh’s relationship and trust with Jordan, I think that relationship is a good one,” McDermott said.

“I think it’s important that (players) work with the right people,” McDermott added. “We’ll be in tough with Jordan and make sure we’ll in sync with stuff as much as possible in terms of terminology, technique, things that we feel like he’ll need to work on. Josh already went out there equipped with much of that when he left Buffalo.”

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

I wonder if Darnold will work with Palmer too (or is already). Allen and Darnold became good friends working with Palmer before.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/21/buffalo-tyree-jackson-jordan-palmer-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-deshaun-watson/

You kind of have to search through it to find it but it says Allen and Darnold are actually going to help teach them protections so I'd say that's a yes.

• Thank you (+1) 2

That's terrific.

Allen's accuracy improved a lot throughout the pre-draft process last year as he worked with Palmer. One of the main things he worked on was mechanics, which Palmer said were a main cause of Allen's problems with accuracy.

Because he ended up starting a lot of games last year, his mechanics drills regimen for accuracy ended up being  a much lower priority. That's what happens when you start, you're mostly working on game planning and prep for that week. And his accuracy definitely was affected.

So this could easily have a real positive impact on Allen's accuracy issues. I really hope so. 

Palmer does know his stuff, and will I'm sure help Allen figure out a good plan - doubtless with input from the Bills - for the offseason for Allen. Mechanics are huge for QBs. This is great.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it really do anything?

Allen worked out with Palmer last off-season and pretty much had all the same flaws as he did at Wyoming. 

He improved his accuracy all the way through the pre-draft process. This was commented on by pretty much everyone, from Mayock To Eisen to ... well, lots and lots of people.

He was expected to sit most or all of the season, which would have given him a bunch more time to keep grooving those mechanics down deeply into muscle memory. But he ended up being forced in early and pretty obviously reverted to old habits.

Fair enough to say that working with Palmer isn't guaranteed to work. But it's got a very decent chance, if he can be consistent about his drills and his habits.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's true that EJ put in a lot of off season work, so did JP, but the point is that off season work on its own isn't a cure all. However, when you combine it with the right attitude on the field, mental toughness etc. (which I believe Allen has and those other guys did not) then it can only help him. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, #34fan said:

We could have had Frank Reich! :o

We're supposed to get all excited becuz Josh is working with a former marginal pro/college QB.

Josh doesn't need a teacher.  He needs a coach.

It can easily be argued that Frank is a marginal pro/college QB. (I'm not about to, but you get my drift).

Why do people not get that this is a 'win, win' situation for the Bills. CBA rules simply don't allow players to get the amount of reps/practises they need, to hone their craft. Allen working with Palmer, is an opportunity for him to do so, that doesn't contravene the CBA.

• Like (+1) 17

1 hour ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it really do anything?

Allen worked out with Palmer last off-season and pretty much had all the same flaws as he did at Wyoming. 

:thumbdown:

18 minutes ago, Buddo said:

It can easily be argued that Frank is a marginal pro/college QB. (I'm not about to, but you get my drift).

Why do people not get that this is a 'win, win' situation for the Bills. CBA rules simply don't allow players to get the amount of reps/practises they need, to hone their craft. Allen working with Palmer, is an opportunity for him to do so, that doesn't contravene the CBA.

You have to consider WHO is making posts like that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It's all about the proper footwork.

However, If you don't start with the proper technique, then It's analogous to changing your golf swing: with enough practice and repetition you can do it; but, there will be times when you revert to what was natural before, especially in pressure situations. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm glad Josh is out there working hard. A lot of players are on vacations or sitting around doing nothing. Our QB is right back to the grind working on his craft. No one can ever say the kid isn't putting in the effort. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, #34fan said:

We're supposed to get all excited becuz Josh is working with a former marginal pro/college QB.

This is another one of those scenarios under which I have no clue why people are upset or critical.  Do you need to be "excited?"  No, but why would you "poo poo" the situation?  Jordan Palmer has made a name for himself as a QB coach/instructor.  He's building a business of working with young QBs to get them ready for the next step in their football careers.  Josh Allen -- until the end of his last college season -- never really received solid one-on-one coaching regarding mechanics and the art of playing the position.  Palmer helped him immensely last year, so he's going back to continue to work on things and this is a bad thing?  I can imagine Palmer sitting down with him, now, with actual NFL game film, and working things out.  That's good stuff, and Palmer can do it because he's not directly affiliated with the Bills or NFL so there are no contact restrictions during the offseason.

I just don't get the negativity.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 10

16 minutes ago, eball said:

This is another one of those scenarios under which I have no clue why people are upset or critical.  Do you need to be "excited?"  No, but why would you "poo poo" the situation?  Jordan Palmer has made a name for himself as a QB coach/instructor.  He's building a business of working with young QBs to get them ready for the next step in their football careers.  Josh Allen -- until the end of his last college season -- never really received solid one-on-one coaching regarding mechanics and the art of playing the position.  Palmer helped him immensely last year, so he's going back to continue to work on things and this is a bad thing?  I can imagine Palmer sitting down with him, now, with actual NFL game film, and working things out.  That's good stuff, and Palmer can do it because he's not directly affiliated with the Bills or NFL so there are no contact requirements during the offseason.

I just don't get the negativity.

It's simple.  Some supposed fans of the Bills would rather be right on an Internet site than root for the Bills to succeed.  Sad really.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

beyond the snark

Josh does need a coach that can teach him to develop in the areas he may still be lacking in. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

JA is working out..

Meanwhile Mahomes is Mahoming 

Josh Allen did more in his Rookie year than Mahomes did so it might be a little more logical to compare Mahomes second year to Allens second year.

Mahomes is likely to come out ahead given all the weapons Mahomes had.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 5