Josh Allen has been working with Jordan Palmer with McDermott's blessing

5 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

no, i mean losing to the Pats. just like we do. you want to make it about the refs go ahead.

I think it can't be denied that the refs had more influence on the games than fans would like.

On the other hand: that's reality.  The Iggles won the SB last year because they seemed to come in with the attitude they were going to have to overcome the refs at times, they were going to have to prepare for espionage attempts on their signals and game plan, and they just planned for it and dealt with it and won.

Clock management and bad calls and rulings that go against the team are part of the game, and Reid could have managed the clock and game-planned better.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If it's rookie minicamp, by definition you need a rookie QB or you can't run plays.  Doesn't matter whether he's drafted or not.

So does every team just bring in a couple rookie QB's?

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

So coaches don't teach.  Brilliant analysis there.

Those who can't teach, coach. Or maybe it's those who can't coach, teach? The only real takeaway is it's a good thing he's out there working to improve. if he can start hitting those short to medium timing passes and slants he's going to be dangerous.

Edited by Green Lightning
  • Haha (+1) 1

This tells me that in addition to a commendable spirit of wanting to constantly improve Allen watched the playoff games and desperately wanted to be out there with the Bills.  This guy is going to do whatever it takes to get Buffalo over the hump next season.

And for the record some of the best position coaches in Football are the guys who ALMOST made it. 

Like others have noted, for the life of me how is this a bad thing?  These naysayers appear to want Allen to just give up and self declare that he's a bust.  That way we can move up in this years draft and take Haskins or the OK baseball player.  It just seems nuts to me and an awful way to root for a team. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Does it really do anything?

Allen worked out with Palmer last off-season and pretty much had all the same flaws as he did at Wyoming. 

That moment when in one post on a football message board you expose that you neither watch football nor pay attention in the offseason.?

6 hours ago, #34fan said:

We could have had Frank Reich! :o

We're supposed to get all excited becuz Josh is working with a former marginal pro/college QB.

Josh doesn't need a teacher.  He needs a coach.

From Webster's definition of "coach": 

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 10.54.23 AM.png

I know what you're going to say, instructors and teachers are completely different  :wallbash:

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it can't be denied that the refs had more influence on the games than fans would like.

sure. but it goes for both teams. you can either be smart and learn how to deal with it, or be dumb and don't. 

my real point is that Mahomes' talent did not help the Chiefs overcome the Pats. so "mahomes mahomsing" actually isn't good enough.

1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Was it bad?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I disagree.  Maybe we're watching different games.

Tell us

And what's Tom House's footwork like?

Image result for mugatu it's beautiful

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

God that thread was great. 

Legendary footwork around here....

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Allen worked out with Palmer last off-season and pretty much had all the same flaws as he did at Wyoming. 

He had receivers that dropped an inordinate amount of catches, never fought for the ball, and tripped over the goal line coming out of the endzone at Wyoming as well? ?

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Clock management and bad calls and rulings that go against the team are part of the game, and Reid could have managed the clock and game-planned better.

As could have Sean Payton.  Yes, a couple of extremely bad calls were made, but the coaches of both teams had opportunities to overcome them and failed to do so.

15 minutes ago, eball said:

As could have Sean Payton.  Yes, a couple of extremely bad calls were made, but the coaches of both teams had opportunities to overcome them and failed to do so.

Sean Payton.  That guy lost all chance of winning the freakin' game for his team when he couldn't let go of the PI/head shot non-call.

If the coach can't let go of that stuff and focus 100% on the ongoing game, how can he possibly expect his team to do so?

• Like (+1) 2

I too applaud applaud this and can't grasp the negativity! This is AWESOME news. As for every driven person, especially young ones, Josh must not burn  himself out, whether his arm or mentally, but besides that, great news. Even more so with McD communicating with Palmer!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Nah, having a competent center has nothing to do with QB play.  

There's a lot Allen needs to improve on that has nothing to do with the OL. Yep OL was a problem, separate from that, the QB has a long way to go and a lot of improvement to make

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I would really like that pick.  If we are going to tailor the offense around Josh, I think a mobile backup with a big arm would be a very sound investment.

I'm sure Palmer is doing very well for himself acting independently, but I kind of wish we would just make him a godfather offer to be the QB coach exclusively with Josh.

If he's there late, I don't see how a flier could hurt in order to have him, develop him and see if he turns into anything. Best case scenario we end up with two good QB's and trade one for a bounty. Worst case, we blow one of our 5th rounders. Although, If he shows out well at the Senior Bowl I doubt he's there past 4. People are going to, unfairly, compare him to Allen cause he's a monster with a monster arm. Allen's early success actually probably helps Jackson's draft stock quite a bit. 

If I had to guess, he enjoys making a butt ton of money essentially working the tax season. Plus, he gets to coach purely Quarterbacking. Working for a team would force him into helping coach offense and not just mechanics. 

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

no, i mean losing to the Pats. just like we do. you want to make it about the refs go ahead.

Make it about a roughing the passer that didnt happen, that would have been the end of the game.

I was pulling for the Rams against NO but they shouldnt have one either.  The entire country has said it.  

The SB should be NO vs. KC.  I also dont blame the Refs unless it was actually game altering.

Odd that when jackson was interviewed yesterday about working with palmer murph asked if hed met josh. He said josh had arrived right before he left for the sr bowl but was looking forward to getting w him when he got back BUT he gave him a little bit of advice before he left.

Dont get me wrong, i dont really care where JA is, but something regarding this timeline is a bit whack

9 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Are you suggesting he shouldn't try to do anything to improve? 

Why anyone would poo poo this idea is crazy to me. The CBA doesn't allow players to work with the team in the offseason, this kid is taking initiative to get training on his own and the coach is saying he's going to get the trainer info on team concepts so that Josh can actually get work done specific to the team that he would otherwise not be allowed to work on. I absolutely love it. If we had hired Palmer as a QB coach he wouldn't be allowed to work with Josh. Instead, Palmer has been given terminology specific to the team and a detailed look at what Josh was working on last year and what they'd like him to continue improving on.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 hours ago, MJS said:

I wonder if Darnold will work with Palmer too (or is already). Allen and Darnold became good friends working with Palmer before.

Jackson didn't mention Darnold working with Palmer, but I know Allen and Darnold are pretty tight at least.  I think they were at some video game convention or something competing against each other.

11 hours ago, Warcodered said:

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/21/buffalo-tyree-jackson-jordan-palmer-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-josh-allen-sam-darnold-deshaun-watson/

You kind of have to search through it to find it but it says Allen and Darnold are actually going to help teach them protections so I'd say that's a yes.

I stand corrected.  Thank you!

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's terrific.

Allen's accuracy improved a lot throughout the pre-draft process last year as he worked with Palmer. One of the main things he worked on was mechanics, which Palmer said were a main cause of Allen's problems with accuracy.

Because he ended up starting a lot of games last year, his mechanics drills regimen for accuracy ended up being  a much lower priority. That's what happens when you start, you're mostly working on game planning and prep for that week. And his accuracy definitely was affected.

So this could easily have a real positive impact on Allen's accuracy issues. I really hope so. 

Palmer does know his stuff, and will I'm sure help Allen figure out a good plan - doubtless with input from the Bills - for the offseason for Allen. Mechanics are huge for QBs. This is great.

Allen certainly needs to work on his mechanics for consistency's sake this offseason and it''s really promising that he's taking it upon himself to do it, but his accuracy was actually pretty darn good for a rookie QB.

If you actually watch all the rookie QB seasons, the guy who really needs to work on his accuracy this offseason is Josh, but Rosen, not Allen.

• Like (+1) 1