The Media Hypes The Potential Return of Rex Ryan as DC

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, great mind, but think offenses have figured out enough how to counter his defense. 

...formerly.....long passed now back to his Ravens days....just like the old man and the "46".......royally sucked as a HC......sound familiar?.....I'd take Wade at 71 or LeBeau at 80+ long before this alleged "great mind".....

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think DC is a good fit for Rex. He had a good defensive mind, granted he needs the right roster for his scheme. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a HC, which is something that goes beyond the X's and O's. If he can be in charge of strictly football, and not have to deal with the personnel side of things, he'll be fine. I always thought his problem in New Jersey and in Buffalo was his inability to command respect from his players as their coach/boss, and instead tried to be their friend. 

16 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I think DC is a good fit for Rex. He had a good defensive mind, granted he needs the right roster for his scheme. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a HC, which is something that goes beyond the X's and O's. If he can be in charge of strictly football, and not have to deal with the personnel side of things, he'll be fine. I always thought his problem in New Jersey and in Buffalo was his inability to command respect from his players as their coach/boss, and instead tried to be their friend. 

...I'd say GOLDEN CORRAL is a better fit for him and his twin...NOT football.........

23 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Smart enough to save those OT timeouts. 

Fair point, but Reid allowing 12 seconds to run off the clock on the Pats last regulation drive was even more atrocious.

The Chiefs could have conceivably had the ball at the Pats 22 with 30 seconds left had he handled that situation properly. 

Clock management is a huge reason for Reid's playoff failure. Very little margin for error when you're playing the top teams.

58 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Schefter is an ass. Throws names out until something sticks (or reads post on the ESPN bathroom wall)

If you didn’t plant those potty posts he wouldn’t report them! Do we need to start monitoring your bathroom behavior again? 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:49 PM, Thurman#1 said:

He wasn't our DC. He was our head coach. And at this point IMHO nobody should look at him as a head coach again.

I think it's fair to say he's a brilliant defensive mind, myself. Feel free to disagree, but I think it's reasonable.

Taking the statement literally- totally agree with you.  He has some of the most exotic concepts and schemes, maybe ever, and can insert a lot of wrinkles and adapt certain aspects of his D with different personnel (from what I've seen and heard). His downfall, though, is requiring a defense that is EXTREMELY intelligent and able to adapt pre-snap, as well as knowing when to be on the field and otherwise.  

So I suppose my initial response assumed Stephen A's comment to be in relation to Rex as an overseer of defense, which is iffy (although you're right that we haven'tseen him as a DC in years).